PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain from unracking bar on bench

mchicia1
12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I bench with an arch and this puts my arms at an angle towards the bar. So when I have no spotter and have to unrack the bar, it always results in pain in my left shoulder due to the position its in with the weight bearing down on it. Anything I can do? Or is this normal?

AdamBAG
12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I have had similar issues, but with my right elbow, when I bench alone. I found that if I set up farther under the bar it helps some. Then you can just basically pin press it out of the rack. Might be something to try.

mchicia1
12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I have had similar issues, but with my right elbow, when I bench alone. I found that if I set up farther under the bar it helps some. Then you can just basically pin press it out of the rack. Might be something to try.

Good idea, I will set up as far back as I can. Thanks for the tip.

vdizenzo
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Ditto on setting up back further. This will help a lot when you don't have a liftoff.

Travis Bell
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
In addition to sitting further back, make sure you really press it out of the rack with your triceps and lats as much as possible and not use your shoulders.

The added benefit of this is it's not going to pull your shoulders out of position either.

pricedtosell
12-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, you should watch the 'So You Think You Can Bench?' series, Dave talks about unracking the bar with your lats and "pulling the bar out of the rack" with your lats instead of pressing it out.

Your shoulder blades should be retracted back and kept tight, if you're pressing the bar out to unrack it then you'll lose that position and there's no way you'll be able to get that tightness in your set-up back. Make sure the bar is as close to the end of the hooks as possible before you un-rack it, that way it'll only take a small movement to pull the bar out with your lats and your positioning shouldn't suffer as a result, if you do it correctly.

mchicia1
12-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah, you should watch the 'So You Think You Can Bench?' series, Dave talks about unracking the bar with your lats and "pulling the bar out of the rack" with your lats instead of pressing it out.

Your shoulder blades should be retracted back and kept tight, if you're pressing the bar out to unrack it then you'll lose that position and there's no way you'll be able to get that tightness in your set-up back. Make sure the bar is as close to the end of the hooks as possible before you un-rack it, that way it'll only take a small movement to pull the bar out with your lats and your positioning shouldn't suffer as a result, if you do it correctly.

That was a great series, I have watched it several times. What changed the way I benched was actually his first video, the one where he curses a lot LOL.

I already pull the bar out with my lats and am good at keeping my shoulders retracted. I think the real issue is the posts on the bench that hold up the bar are not very long, so when I pull the bar out my shoulders are like this:

\____

Even with my back tight, the shoulder will still take the brunt of the force just based on the awkward positioning its in. I will try to get as far back on the bench as I can, but I do believe that the really good benches out there simply have longer posts so dragging the bar off is easier on the shoulders.

In addition to sitting further back, make sure you really press it out of the rack with your triceps and lats as much as possible and not use your shoulders.

The added benefit of this is it's not going to pull your shoulders out of position either.

Never thought of the triceps, I will try this as well. Thanks.

mchicia1
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I took the tips from this thread and applied them today.

The result was a bench pr of 300x2x2 and ZERO shoulder pain. Thanks guys.