PDA

View Full Version : PostWorkout shake???

Tru
05-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Would this be good for a postworkout shake?

Vanilla Ice Cream ( a few cups)
Whey (1 scoop)
Some milk

Someone told me it's working good for him, and that I need more carbs postworkout (not just whey) so this is good.. plus it makes it absorb faster..

Is this tru?

Slim Schaedle
05-16-2002, 01:27 PM
If you really want it to absorb as quickly as possible, I believe milk would end up slowing it down. not exactly sure though.

Behemoth
05-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Eh, try to get the lowest sugar content you can find in ice cream if your goona.

CBates
05-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Also, if you're talking about just regular ice cream, a few cups is going to be loaded in fat, which you want to avoid post workout due to it slowing down the absorption.

Smoothie
05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
I heard from a local nutrition store not to mix carbs and protien together post workout. Of course I don't have any literature to back it up right now, but has anyone else heard of this before? I take carbs in liquid form then whey in water about 45-60mins later.

Tru
05-16-2002, 02:17 PM
Hmm.. So, what should I eat postworkout?

smalls
05-16-2002, 02:28 PM
That nutrition store is wrong, or they are under the thought that it should be pro and fat (like nhe) in order to not blunt gh release.
I believe the best option is straight whey in water, and dextose or maltodextrin or a combo of both. Whatever you do just make sure you eat some type of carbs and protein as soon as possible after a workout.

Tru
05-16-2002, 02:33 PM
I know I need carbs and protein....

I use to just take Whey W/ Water, I was gonna try this but i'm not going to now..

What carb source should I eat with the whey? I dont want to buy a supplment.. Real food :D

CBates
05-16-2002, 02:42 PM
If you want real food, you can try something like white bread or white rice.

Tru
05-16-2002, 05:23 PM
I took Whey W/ Water and a bananna today... Is that good? I thought bananna's had a lot of carbs, protein, and were generally good for you.....

CBates
05-16-2002, 05:27 PM
Banana is mostly fructose, which isn't really ideal for post workout, but it's a lot better than ice cream as your carb source. I've gotten my best results using either dextrose or oatmeal as my post workout carb source.

Tru
05-16-2002, 05:30 PM
I guess i'll eat oatmeal from now on...

:D Thanks

Bobarell
05-18-2002, 04:42 AM
I have heard a pack of sweet tarts is also very good post WO with the Whey.

It has mostly Dextrose and maltodextrin which are the BEST carbs you can use post WO. You need an insulin spike post WO and faster absorbing carbs are very good. But remember, any carb is better than no carb.

I am cutting right now and I do not take post WO carbs and it is killing me. I can feel my WO's going down the drain.

Vido
05-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Unless you're working out at home or have a place to store your ice cream at your gym, then that is a terrible post-workout shake for one reason: you are not consuming it quickly enough. A post-workout shake is to be made at the gym and basically downed no more than a few minutes after the final set IMO. My post-workout shake contains 40 g whey isolate, 70 g dextrose, 5 g creatine, mixed in water.

gino
05-21-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Bobarell
I have heard a pack of sweet tarts is also very good post WO with the Whey.

It has mostly Dextrose and maltodextrin which are the BEST carbs you can use post WO. You need an insulin spike post WO and faster absorbing carbs are very good. But remember, any carb is better than no carb.

I am cutting right now and I do not take post WO carbs and it is killing me. I can feel my WO's going down the drain.

You don't NEED to cut out post workout carbs while cutting. I'm cutting right now, and I LOAD UP on carbs post workout. Your body needs them after a workout, especially if you'd like to preserve that hard earned muscle.

heathj
05-21-2002, 08:38 AM
Ditto..I take in 36 grams of maltodextrin/dextrose for post-workout.

MRJ
05-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Vido
Unless you're working out at home or have a place to store your ice cream at your gym, then that is a terrible post-workout shake for one reason: you are not consuming it quickly enough. A post-workout shake is to be made at the gym and basically downed no more than a few minutes after the final set IMO. My post-workout shake contains 40 g whey isolate, 70 g dextrose, 5 g creatine, mixed in water.

Ideally, one would want to consume the post w/o protein/carbs as soon as possible after the w/o. (I use simple fruit juice to mix w/whey)

In actuality, if one consumes the above within an hour it will suffice.

Don't forget the follow-up meals at a 2/1 ratio
carbs. to protein. (primary supper & pre-sleep)

Vido
05-22-2002, 11:30 PM
MRJ you should be having a post-workout shake right after the last set then eating again no more than an hour later if you want to maximize your gains.

Kromax
05-23-2002, 04:40 AM
Postworkout, I enjoy a bowl of oatmeal and Myoplex Mass.