PDA

View Full Version : Block pull 515+285 (800 at top) Sumo.

NickAus
12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJnzJ47Sng&feature=player_embedded

Sorry about the music, I had my own stuff playing.

The band tension even at the start was huge for me.

mastermonster
12-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Lookin' strong on the sumo pulls Nick!

Brian Hopper
12-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Killed it bro, nice work!!!!

NickAus
12-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys, really great to hear from guys like you!!

barbell01
12-24-2010, 07:19 AM
you should try rack pulling 800 from above the knee.

NickAus
12-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Hmmmm that's a thought.

Did the title offend you?

barbell01
12-25-2010, 11:01 AM
no, i was not offended, just sayin thats not "800lbs at the top". nice pull though. i wasnt trying to hurt anybodys feelings, i just think its silly to measure band tension. i just like to use them and set PR's or whatever and remember which ones i used (ex:515 vs. greens and minis). band tension isnt real weight and thats definitly not 800lbs at the top. that is however quite a bit of band tension along with a fair amount of bar weight. so again, nice pull friend. just dont waste too much time calculating band tension.

NickAus
12-25-2010, 04:00 PM
no, i was not offended, just sayin thats not "800lbs at the top". nice pull though. i wasnt trying to hurt anybodys feelings, i just think its silly to measure band tension. i just like to use them and set PR's or whatever and remember which ones i used (ex:515 vs. greens and minis). band tension isnt real weight and thats definitly not 800lbs at the top. that is however quite a bit of band tension along with a fair amount of bar weight. so again, nice pull friend. just dont waste too much time calculating band tension.

Cool.

I just had the averages stretched over at 220 and the minis at 65.

Because Im a nobody 800 sounds like a lot but I'm pretty fast I can get to the top position quick (less TUT) and my leverage seems to be very good at lock-out.

If someone at Westside said the bands were 220 green and 65 minis nobody would question it.

I do understand band tension is not real weight but on all the videos I see of Lexen extreme and others they will say stuff like "600 + 3 sets of blues 1200 at the top" I was just doing the same.

At the end of the day anyone can do the same set-up I see how they go.

Thank you all of your thoughts I know you were just being truthful and I appreciate that.

pricedtosell
12-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I do understand band tension is not real weight but on all the videos I see of Lexen extreme and others they will say stuff like "600 + 3 sets of blues 1200 at the top" I was just doing the same.

I was just going to say that.

QzdmI9HDXsA

Vogelpohl with 1,245 at the top. I don't care if 550 lbs of it is band tension, there's no way anyone can think that isn't awesome.

Brian Hopper
12-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I was just going to say that.

QzdmI9HDXsA

Vogelpohl with 1,245 at the top. I don't care if 550 lbs of it is band tension, there's no way anyone can think that isn't awesome.

:nod::nod::nod:

smallwoodjt
12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Great lift! Definitely impressive. Quick question from a newbie (thanks in advance for the reply): do your hips take a beating from raw sumo pulls? I have been alternating back and forth between conventional and sumo at the suggestion of some more experienced lifters, but just wondering how you hold up when you train sumo so frequently? Mobility work, stretching, etc...?

joey54
12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Made it look relatively easy. Will be interesting to see how your full deads benefit.

NickAus
12-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Great lift! Definitely impressive. Quick question from a newbie (thanks in advance for the reply): do your hips take a beating from raw sumo pulls? I have been alternating back and forth between conventional and sumo at the suggestion of some more experienced lifters, but just wondering how you hold up when you train sumo so frequently? Mobility work, stretching, etc...?

Thanks!

I use briefs after about 80% and that helps but for some reason Sumo pulls are easy to recover from for me and block pulls Sumo even more so, thats one cool thing about block pulls.
At the moment my focus is on pulling and really on building a strong lock-out/ grip as I think this will serve me well long term (does not matter how strong your back and hips are if you cant hold big weight).
Also I think the better your grip is the faster your pull will be which is a big thing.
If I was full bore training the 3 lifts and competing I would have to cut back on the heavy pulls no question.

I do a recovery blood flow type day the day after heavy pulls and that helps a little.

NickAus
12-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Made it look relatively easy. Will be interesting to see how your full deads benefit.

Thanks!

It was hard but I could do 20lb more Im sure.

As for carryover to pulls from floor with straight weight I dont think there will be a big benifit short term as they are different but long term I am positive it will set me up for a good pull.

I have some momentum with block pulls and keep hitting PRs so Im going to roll with it, plus my shin needs to heal (infection on shin).

smallwoodjt
12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick response! I will definitely keep those things in mind. I have a pair of briefs that I occasionally wear when I box squat below parallel and heavy, so maybe I'll wipe the dust off those bad boys. Thanks again.

NickAus
12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I use briefs that are not too tight, they still give good carryover and protect the hips I think.

ScottYard
12-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Looking strong!

NickAus
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks Scott!!

joey54
12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I just have to chime in here and also say, smallwoodjt the Don Frye avatar is great!

Ok done hijacking, back to the block pull.

pricedtosell
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks!

At the moment my focus is on pulling and really on building a strong lock-out/ grip as I think this will serve me well long term

Curious what your usual sticking point is when you pull sumo, I thought most people struggled off the ground with sumo and on the lockout with conventional. I pull sumo and have never had any trouble locking out anything I can get past my knees. That's why if I ever pull off blocks or do rack pulls, I do them conventional .

Also, I read a post by Dave Hoff on this forum about how he does all his pulling in training conventional besides his speed pulls, and I've seen others who only pull sumo at meets say they do most of their training with conventional. Do you only pull sumo in traing? If so, how's that been working for you? I've been trying to decide how often I want to pull sumo in training, and if I'll lose any back strength if I go for a while without pulling conventional.

NickAus
12-30-2010, 04:31 AM
No it's the opposite for most, off the floor sumo is easier/ lock-out harder and con off the floor easier/ lock-out harder (going off what I have read, lifters Ive talked too).

I find just below knees the hard part sumo and off the floor hard con personally.

Dave Hoff and those guys are at the top of the game so I would follow them over my training if I was you.

Pulling sumo a lot has helped my sumo off floor approx 75lb and off blocks 110lb in a short time so Im not about to start neglecting sumo.

My back is stronger than ever, I just did some back raises with weight and did 7 sets of 10 with weight that used to be my top set of 8 and I have only done 1 other work-out with back raises since pulling sumo so thats made me happy with my back strength.

Really I will need to report my progress in 6 months to give a real idea as this stuff takes time..........lots of time and I am new to sumo style.

If I can try to answer anything else please let me know.