PDA

View Full Version : If I don't take supplements, I would never develop freakishly large muscles?

skhandelwal
12-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I love working out, but am worried whether I would develop those really huge muscles, something that doesn't appeal to me..

BoAnderson71
12-23-2010, 10:21 PM
what?

Dan Fanelli
12-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Don't lift weights r you'll get hyuge. It's inevitable, you lift weights you blow up. I mean, that's why all of us are on these forums, because we don't want to get to big.

Cmanuel
12-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Its not called WannaBeSmall, is it?

Codeguru
12-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I love working out, but am worried whether I would develop those really huge muscles, something that doesn't appeal to me..

I work out a lot, as properly as I can, but I like to stay lean rather than bulk for maximum gains. If you take suppliments or not, you can still control your mass at will as long as you read up on it and keep track of what you do and eat. Stay on a fat losing diet and go for long term improvement, I'm guessing that's about the slowest way. And then you can always, not work out as hard if it's an emergency?...

Codeguru

BoAnderson71
12-24-2010, 01:34 AM
go to wannabesmall.com and checkout " be tiny nutriton".

skhandelwal
12-24-2010, 03:20 AM
I am sorry, my english is bad. I meant I want a toned-lean body..but I love working out, however, when I wear a shirt, I don't wanna "appear" like I am a professional if you get what I mean? Like Bruce Lee? Or Shawn Michaels?

How exactly do I control this through my diet?

Thanks.

zoco
12-24-2010, 03:27 AM
I am sorry, my english is bad. I meant I want a toned-lean body..but I love working out, however, when I wear a shirt, I don't wanna "appear" like I am a professional if you get what I mean? Like Bruce Lee? Or Shawn Michaels?

Thanks.

If it was that easy, I'm sure that everyone would look like a professional.Don't worry you'll probably never get that bodybuilding looks.In fact if you exercise just for fun you'll never get a lean and toned physique .You need VERY hard work and sensible diet to look like Bruce Lee Or Shawn Michaels.

skhandelwal
12-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Just coz I exercise for fun doesn't mean I don't exercise hard ;)

zoco
12-24-2010, 05:00 AM
You are worrying not to gain muscle while everybody else is worrying not to get fat or stay skinny.Well gaining muscle and getting lean is the hardest part.You can't over do it.Let me put it this way then - until you reach 260-300 lbs on your bench press, 350-400 lbs on your squat and deadlift you won't have big muscles :D

Raleighwood
12-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Yea there's this big problem we are all having where we train really hard and sometimes, randomly, when we wake up we have blown up WAY TOO BIG.

If it was that easy, we all would be much bigger.

Generally, to get huge freakish body builder-esque super-vascular muscles you must put in years of training, reach sub-8% body fat and supplement with AAS.

It is very hard and requires much time & discipline. Genetics are a big factor too.

Cmanuel
12-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Troll alert

colinS3
12-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks.

Hey man, everything these guys are saying is pretty much true. They know their stuff pretty well here but to say you don't want to have giant muscles on a forum like this is kind of like a slap in the face to them haha. But! I know where you're coming from because my main concern right now is a lean, strong body without going over 150 lbs for my body weight (I'm currently 143 and 6 feet tall). The main purpose for this is the fact that I'm a runner and that I want to keep my body fat down. But I'll tell you what I've been doing for my diet. I'm by no means a reliable source, this stuff just works for me so I keep doing it. You can try it out for yourself and see what happens. Also, I might say some things that I think are true but in reality I may be way off haha. I haven't done my research on everything quite yet...

Well, my diet is pretty damn simple. I eat when I'm hungry. That's pretty much it...I don't focus on eating a certain ratio of proteins/carbs/fats either because I know I eat enough of each by the end of the day. The one thing I have decided to avoid consuming is soda and most candies. There's just no point to having those things unless it's once or twice a month. You'll be much better off if you replace those with real food or water. I'm not looking to bulk up so I don't eat a huge surplus of calories. If you eat a high surplus of calories, you will bulk up much faster. I usually have a low surplus of calories, which is key. Heck...There was a study about a man who ate nothing but twinkies and other junk for 10 weeks straight and he lost something close to 30 pounds, all because he ate below his suggested caloric intake. Calories are the biggest factor in staying lean so make sure you eat the bare minimum for your muscles to grow, but not so much that your body is forced to bulk up.
*I know I said that I don't bother to focus on my protein/carb/fat ratio, but you should at first. Make sure you're getting a healthy amount of each one, then after you know you've got the right ratio you can stop focusing on it so much (as long as you stay like that).

With this diet I typically workout 3-4 times a week now and do full body workouts (you should really only do 2-3 full body workouts a week). I found that full body workouts let me tire my body out the most, burn more calories, and just feel better afterwards. Just a personal preference but I do think you'll burn more calories from lifting in a week with a full body workout instead of a split routine. That's one of the things I'm unsure of factually, but it makes sense to me.

You could also add running into your schedule to get a leaner body. That's a really good way to burn away the big bulging muscles if you ever end up developing them or if you just want to stay tiny. Running takes a lot of energy, so once the energy you normally use isn't enough to keep you going, your body starts to burn a little bit of muscle as well. You don't necessarily lose strength, I was adding 5 pounds to my bench every 2 weeks or so while I was running 40 miles a week! You just stay pretty damn skinny because as long as you have a good diet and skinny to begin with, you'll be even skinnier and have a little less muscle mass than before.

Hope this helped you a little. I might get criticized for what I just said by the other members because some parts might not be 100% correct, but that's okay. I just wanted to give you an idea of how I stay lean and really defined.
*One last thing. I don't take supplements. If you do end up taking supplements you'll have a better chance of bulking up at a faster rate, that's the whole purpose of supplements. They fuel your body to help shape you into a bigger and stronger person. If you're not looking to bulk up like that I would stay away from them.

colinS3
12-24-2010, 09:08 AM
**** that was a lot of typing..sorry if your eyes are bleeding by now.

Dan Fanelli
12-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen

dynamo
12-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I worked out 5 days a week for almost 3 years and ate until it hurt and I was taking ****s 3 times a day and losing sleep so I wouldn't miss a workout and one day I woke up and I was 70 pounds heavier and had a 400 pound deadlift. but no worries that was a while ago, and since then I just work out for fun and sure enough I haven't gained a pound.

ThomasG
12-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Op if you get freakishly large from heavy weights alone I wanna know the secret so I can start doing it.

dynamo
12-24-2010, 12:01 PM
you know, there are people in my gym who fake like they work out and they see me pounding serious weight 4 days a week and they come up to me and give me a figurative reach around and I ask about what they do, pretending like I give a ****, and all I've ever see them do is 300 lbs on the leg press machine and they stumble and say 'oh you know, I uh, deadlift, but I use those straps, yeah, and you know other stuff' and then they wander off to do curls and talk to their friends saying they don't do that kind of stuff because they don't want to get all big, and they do that stereotypical wide arm puffed cheek wobble walk.

Its a shame they make excuses for sucking. I have a friend who is 180 lbs wet, can deadlift 405 lbs and squat around 365 lbs. He also plays basketball, he's never worried about getting too big. I'd be surprised if he ever made it above 200 lbs. I am 270 lbs, my numbers are decent nothing spectacular and I run or swim 4 days week, I have no problem keeping up with the people who are afraid to get too big, I am just better at everything than they are. Its not so much because I am bigger or faster or smarter than them, its because I work harder and smarter than them. Ok I feel better. Good luck.

Songsangnim
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey man, everything these guys are saying is pretty much true. They know their stuff pretty well here but to say you don't want to have giant muscles on a forum like this is kind of like a slap in the face to them haha. But! I know where you're coming from because my main concern right now is a lean, strong body without going over 150 lbs for my body weight (I'm currently 143 and 6 feet tall). The main purpose for this is the fact that I'm a runner and that I want to keep my body fat down. But I'll tell you what I've been doing for my diet. I'm by no means a reliable source, this stuff just works for me so I keep doing it. You can try it out for yourself and see what happens. Also, I might say some things that I think are true but in reality I may be way off haha. I haven't done my research on everything quite yet...

Well, my diet is pretty damn simple. I eat when I'm hungry. That's pretty much it...I don't focus on eating a certain ratio of proteins/carbs/fats either because I know I eat enough of each by the end of the day. The one thing I have decided to avoid consuming is soda and most candies. There's just no point to having those things unless it's once or twice a month. You'll be much better off if you replace those with real food or water. I'm not looking to bulk up so I don't eat a huge surplus of calories. If you eat a high surplus of calories, you will bulk up much faster. I usually have a low surplus of calories, which is key. Heck...There was a study about a man who ate nothing but twinkies and other junk for 10 weeks straight and he lost something close to 30 pounds, all because he ate below his suggested caloric intake. Calories are the biggest factor in staying lean so make sure you eat the bare minimum for your muscles to grow, but not so much that your body is forced to bulk up.
*I know I said that I don't bother to focus on my protein/carb/fat ratio, but you should at first. Make sure you're getting a healthy amount of each one, then after you know you've got the right ratio you can stop focusing on it so much (as long as you stay like that).

With this diet I typically workout 3-4 times a week now and do full body workouts (you should really only do 2-3 full body workouts a week). I found that full body workouts let me tire my body out the most, burn more calories, and just feel better afterwards. Just a personal preference but I do think you'll burn more calories from lifting in a week with a full body workout instead of a split routine. That's one of the things I'm unsure of factually, but it makes sense to me.

You could also add running into your schedule to get a leaner body. That's a really good way to burn away the big bulging muscles if you ever end up developing them or if you just want to stay tiny. Running takes a lot of energy, so once the energy you normally use isn't enough to keep you going, your body starts to burn a little bit of muscle as well. You don't necessarily lose strength, I was adding 5 pounds to my bench every 2 weeks or so while I was running 40 miles a week! You just stay pretty damn skinny because as long as you have a good diet and skinny to begin with, you'll be even skinnier and have a little less muscle mass than before.

Hope this helped you a little. I might get criticized for what I just said by the other members because some parts might not be 100% correct, but that's okay. I just wanted to give you an idea of how I stay lean and really defined.
*One last thing. I don't take supplements. If you do end up taking supplements you'll have a better chance of bulking up at a faster rate, that's the whole purpose of supplements. They fuel your body to help shape you into a bigger and stronger person. If you're not looking to bulk up like that I would stay away from them.

Supplements are just food. They don't bulk you up at a faster rate than normal food. And running doesn't necessarily equate to lean and defined...that's pretty much all diet.

OP you don't need to worry about developing huge muscles. That takes years and years of hard work and sometimes muscle-building drugs. And even then it may not work.

tom183
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
This has already been answered sufficiently, but, to the OP, your question would be similar to me logging onto an athletics forum and saying "Id like to start incorporating running into my workouts but I'm worried I'll get too fast"

Basically, it ain't gonna happen.

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
You wont grow freaskisly large like pro bodybuilders cos you dont have their genetics and you wont be taking a massive amount of steroids... Take some supplements, it isn't going to make you superman, but they will help with your goals, assuming everything else is in check!

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Its funny how newer lifters thing its just THAT easy to put on muscle. Most of the members on here have been lifting for YEARS and still don't have freak muscles, myself included. You really have to have your diet dialed in (enough calories) and you have to be lifting for 5+ years minimum (on a real program) to have "freak" muscles. Even then, if your genetics are average, you may *never* get freak muscles.

Just the fact that you are asking this question means the answer for you is "no".

KoSh
01-10-2011, 07:51 AM
I hear Planet Fitness loves this kind of client :)