PDA

View Full Version : bench shirt for powerlifting?

K Y L E
12-24-2010, 02:02 AM
do they really help most people add weight to their bench press instantly? how hard are they to put on? how uncomfortable are they once they're on? is there anything i should know before buying one?

ct67_72
12-24-2010, 08:55 AM
There is nothing that will add weight to your bench "instantly" as far as I am concerned it is much harder to bench in a shirt than raw. There is very much more technique involved and unless you have experienced training partners and spotters on hand than you shouldnt even consider getting into one.
As far as how comfortable they are, I had a comp on dec. 12 and I still have marks under my triceps from it. My last press I swore that the collar ripped my nipple from my chest, and my fore arms turn black while wearing mine.
I would say it took me at least a year to really learn how to get the most out of mine and I learn something everytime Im in it.

mastermonster
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
The best thing you can do is find some geared lifters wih experience and train with them as often as you can. Travel some if you have too. You can learn in a couple of month what might take 2 years on your own. If you can have this help right off the bat, you may well get good carry-over on your early sessions. If not you may not even lift as much. I've seen both happen. Then again, even with help; some guys just seem to take to a shirt easier than others. Even if you have to hook up and drive 100 or so miles a time or 2 or 3 a month; it will be well worth it to learn what experienced geared lifters know. That said, I'd reccommend a single ply Titan F6 if you are an arch bencher, or a Titan Fury if you bench more flat backed as a first shirt. Ken Anderson of Anderson Powerlifting (distributor) can get you sized right better than any distributer I know and has great and fast delivery and service. I highly reccommend using him if you decide to go with a Titan shirt. Good luck!

K Y L E
12-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Very helpful comment, thanks man, I was expecting someone to just say "do your research."

Brian Hopper
12-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Very helpful comment, thanks man, I was expecting someone to just say "do your research."

It's still early so im sure someone might, but hopefully they wont...lol!!!!

Like stated above, I would try and find some geared lifters that already have the experience with shirts. They can be difficult to learn and dangerous to use by yourself. So I wouldn't recommend trying it alone. It would be worth a trip if you had to make one. They can be pretty uncomfortable to wear. My denim shirt isn't that tight so it's not that bad. Good luck!!!!

theBarzeen
12-24-2010, 09:34 PM
do your research......

just kidding

I would also go find a group of lifters to train with who know how to use gear..... all a bench shirt will do instantly is stop you from touching and cause you to dump the weight on your face when your equally inexperienced spotter biffs it...... Some people can train basically alone in gear, but it is really hard to learn it that way. A good group of guys will help you a lot.

The big question is where are you located. People here, people on power lifting watch, and people on most any forum can recommend places to train; all you have to do is ask.

brauny96
12-25-2010, 01:38 PM
From what your lifts are man, I would just work raw till you get some better numbers, you really gotta have a decent raw bench to get anything out of a shirt. Having a raw weakness will turn into a bad gear weakness. This is what I have gotten from my training.

ct67_72
12-27-2010, 07:04 AM
From what your lifts are man, I would just work raw till you get some better numbers, you really gotta have a decent raw bench to get anything out of a shirt. Having a raw weakness will turn into a bad gear weakness. This is what I have gotten from my training.
I dont necessarily agree with this. I was benching around 260 raw and 405 in a F6. Everyone said the same thing to me but I really dont see where it matters if you have good form and do the raw work you need to get stronger.
Also his bench may only be 225 but he weights 148. Even if he benched 300 in a shirt that would be pretty good in my opinion

smallwoodjt
12-27-2010, 08:28 PM
This could quickly devolve into a gear vs. raw discussion. Coming from an inexperienced gear lifter, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have experienced lifters with you. I think something that most people discount is the psychological aspect of learning whatever shirt you get. I was "breaking in the shirt" by reading random articles and discussion forums. I could bench 340 raw and started going with three boards with a single ply rage x. I was able to go up to 475. My confidence soared! The next week I went down to a two board and got 460. Once again, I was pumped! The next week I went to a 1 board and got 450. I was really excited, but didn't have anybody experienced to talk me through technique. When I finally touched several weeks later, I almost dumped 435 on my face with, as someone already mentioned, an inexperienced spotter. After going back raw, my bench had actually gone down. I simply didn't have experienced lifters around me to talk me through technique and teach the shirt to me. Take home point for me was to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing. But, that being said, I still got 50 + pounds out of the shirt with relatively no learning curve.

muscle_g
12-28-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree with this. At 225 there's no need to get in a shirt right now. Get strong raw first, then think about getting in a shirt.

Ernie Jr
12-28-2010, 11:36 PM
There are some bench shirts that are insane, once you learn how to use it the right way you can easily gain over 200+lbs on your bench no problem. I have tried out the gear, I use to use a Rage X single ply bench shirt, my body weight was around 208lbs and my RAW bench at the time was a MAX of 350 and I was able to bench over 600 in the bench shirt for 1, I really would not call it much of a bench its more like a belly press lol more then a bench press. So as you see you can get quite a bit out of it. Iím not in to gear lifting, I really never cared for it but I did give it a try. As I will say to everyone, to each their own. :)

joey54
12-29-2010, 06:30 AM
I agree with this. At 225 there's no need to get in a shirt right now. Get strong raw first, then think about getting in a shirt.

As someone else mentioned, and it states in his signature, OP weighs 148 lbs. 225 isn't shabby at his weight at all, and if he plans to compete in gear, why not start learning now? Provided he finds a good group to train with.

SEOINAGE
12-29-2010, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't train in a shirt without multiple spotters who also have experience with shirted benching. Don't even consider buying a shirt until that is the case, some experienced lifters have lifted alone shirted, but that is rare. Don't make the mistake I did and end up dumping all that weight on your face because a spotter pulls the weight out of the shirts groove, of course I put to much weight on to begin with, but you never know how a set is going to end up. it was a $3500 mistake, and teeth that might have future problems that could potentially cost more money. I haven't been in a shirt since then, and I have only benched heavy when I have traveled 230+ now where I live to lift with guys I can trust and appropriately lift. As for lifting in a bench shirt again, it won't be for a while, and with a much weaker shirt.

I thought I would share, I don't think it would be bad to start learning a shirt, although don't forget to do a really good amount of raw work and be well rounded, as you look like you have plenty of muscle and weight to put on, just make sure to figure out what hte proper safety precautions are, and to follow them.

Ryan Celli
12-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I would make sure you find some experienced shirt lifters. It's not something you want to do by yourself or with some of your partners that have no idea how to use one.
If you plan on competing, I would use one now regardless of your current max. Even if your bench is 225 now, a shirt will help, and it probably will increase your raw.
When your ready call Ken Anderson from Anderson Powerlifting. Tell him you stats and ask for an F6.
www.andersonpowerlifting.com

AdamBAG
12-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I would make sure you find some experienced shirt lifters. It's not something you want to do by yourself or with some of your partners that have no idea how to use one.
If you plan on competing, I would use one now regardless of your current max. Even if your bench is 225 now, a shirt will help, and it probably will increase your raw.
When your ready call Ken Anderson from Anderson Powerlifting. Tell him you stats and ask for an F6.
www.andersonpowerlifting.com

I agree. If you have experienced people to train with get a shirt. If you don't, don't get a shirt. If I could only train alone I would only lift raw. Gear is too dangerous to use by yourself in my opinion. No matter the raw strength level.

banger
12-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Inexperienced spotter or not, after reading what everyone has been saying just stresses the fact more about training in a power rack so you don't have to eat the bar when it goes. Mike Tuchscherer trains alone, and it is always in a power rack, just for this reason.

Kim

mastermonster
12-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Inexperienced spotter or not, after reading what everyone has been saying just stresses the fact more about training in a power rack so you don't have to eat the bar when it goes. Mike Tuchscherer trains alone, and it is always in a power rack, just for this reason.

Kim

Yep! Safety 1st and your career will be looooong! At Monster Barbell our bench press bench is in the storage room til we hold our meet. We bench on a heavy duty flat bench made to meet specks in the power rack. The safety bars are set just below arch level (touch point) and above face level. If something get away it will stop above the face or pelvis/ lower abdomin area. It might scare the crap out of everybody, but the bencher can just flatten out his arch and slid safely off the bench.