PDA

View Full Version : Westside scheduling ?

Dan Fanelli
12-24-2010, 05:48 PM
So im sorta following the Westside program. Basically two squat/deadlift sessions, and two bench sessions, bu then ive added an additional day that is mainly accessory work. The days I can train are sorta limited for various reasons, so it currently looks like this

Sunday: DE bench
Monday: Accessory
Tuesday: DE lower
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: ME bench
Friday: ME lower
Saturday: OFF

I dont think this is very good though, because it is hard doing two ME days back to back.

So I was thinking of switching it to this:

S: ME lower
M: Accessory / GPP
T: DE bench
W: OFF
Th: DE lower
F: ME upper
S: OFF

The Accessory/GPP day is going to mainly be sandbag work, pullups, and tire dragging.

Is this a better setup, or is there anything else better you can recommend?

muscle_g
12-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Most westside templates I have seen are just 4 days a week

Mon- ME SQ/DL
Tue- off
Wed- ME Bench
Thu- off
Fri- DE SQ/DL
Sat- DE Bench
Sun- off

Brian Hopper
12-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I dont think this is very good though, because it is hard doing two ME days back to back.

So I was thinking of switching it to this:

S: ME lower
T: DE bench
Th: DE lower
F: ME upper

IF this is what you were interested in doing then I would switch it like this:

S: DE upper
T: ME lower
Th: ME upper
F: DE lower

The only reason why I would do this is because my split right now is pretty similar. I just don't have an accessory/GPP day. Mine looks like this:

M: DE upper

Maybe someone from WSB like Travis, AJ or Rich can give you some better advice. Lones and Marcus also know westside pretty darn good, so im sure they can too.

jtteg_x
12-25-2010, 04:36 AM
subscribed. I'm real interested to hear the WSB lifters input. I'm taking the week off and starting fresh. However, I won't be able to train Thurs/Sat. How should I plan it out?

ThomasG
12-25-2010, 07:59 AM
This is how I do it

ME lower
DE upper
off
DE lower
ME upper
off
off

You can also

ME lower
off
ME upper
off
DE lower
off
DE upper

Dan Fanelli
12-25-2010, 12:13 PM
@ Brian, That is what I originally thought because it would be the least change. Now my accessory day is all upper stuff though. This day will now be sandbag and sled stuff mainly. Won't that be a bad idea the day before I max squat/deadlift?

MarcusWild
12-25-2010, 02:57 PM
I'd do what Brian said:

That's what we do except DE lower is Saturday instead of Friday. We have a second schedule for our weaker lifters that goes:

Sunday: DE lower
Tuesday: ME upper
Thursday: ME lower
Saturday: DE upper

You could pretty easily switch DE upper to Friday on that one too.

douglasoh5
12-25-2010, 04:16 PM
monday is ME lower
wednesday is ME upper
friday is DE lower
saterday or sunday for DE upper

Some ppl will come in twice a day. Like on an upper body day they will do a **** ton of a body part say triceps after a ME bench then come in later to do shoulders and lats, and the same for lower body. And if they do gpp stuff it would be in the second session. As far as the sunday or saterday thing for DE upper some do it on saterday just to avoid all the bench fag on sunday.

Dan Fanelli
12-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I'd do what Brian said:

What do you do on your Accessory / GPP day, and does that no interfere with your ME lower?

MarcusWild
12-25-2010, 07:46 PM
We don't have a GPP or accessory day. We do accessories every session. GPP is sled dragging on lower days.

Brian Hopper
12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
@ Brian, That is what I originally thought because it would be the least change. Now my accessory day is all upper stuff though. This day will now be sandbag and sled stuff mainly. Won't that be a bad idea the day before I max squat/deadlift?

I'm with Marcus, I will do my accessory work on my regular training days and any GPP work after my workout if I felt like it.

Are you not doing any upper body accessory work on your DE-ME bench days?

Dan Fanelli
12-25-2010, 08:32 PM
You can check out my log to see what I'm doing. Part of my schedule has been influenced by the fact that some days I train with my friend, and others with my gf. Also I'm bulking, so I decided to add an extra day for more upper body work. My upper body sessions ate pretty dialed in and at tbs point I can go back to just two days with all of the accessory stuff on those days.

I want to add sandbag stuff to really bring up my posterior chain and my deadlift. Also I don't tend to do as much accessory work for my back\lower body. The sandbag stuff will start out light with a 50-70 lb bag, but I'll want to move up to a 150lb bag pretty soon. Also, I train in a commercial gym at 7pm on most days and will likely do the sandbag stuff outdoors or at home. Lastly, I'm not a powerlifter, I'm just after strength and mass.

Thx so far for all of the help. As of now, I don't think the sandbag stuff should be done before a heavy upper or lower session, so it must come before a DE session.

Brian Hopper
12-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Have you thought about doing the sandbag work after your lower body days?

Dan Fanelli
12-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I would, but it would be at 830 at night

MarcusWild
12-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Bulking means you want to eat more calories than you burn. Extra sessions just burn more calories which makes bulking harder. I think the most effective bulking is done by sticking to 4-5 compound movements and keep your training to an hour. Anything more than that and you're burning too many calories.

Also, if you really want to bring up your posterior chain just keep is simple with GM variations, SLDL, and sumo SLDL. That's how powerlifters build their posterior chain.

Dan Fanelli
12-26-2010, 10:02 PM
@ Marcus Yes I understand. Ive only got about 5lbs more to go before reaching my weight goal, but ive added a decent amount of fat during the process. I want to increase my workload/frequency gradually now to start getting leaner. In addition, im not a powerlifter and I believe odd object type training will develop a more "useful" type of strength for me. Im still focusing on developing my bench/squat/deadlift, but this will just be a way of adding some variety for a while.

As of now, Im gonna go with this schedule:

Sunday: ME lower
Monday: GPP / Sandbag / pullups
Tuesday: DE upper
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: DE lower
Friday: ME upper
Saturday: OFF

I dont think it will matter too much for the first few weeks, because im going to start out light. After that, i'll get a feel for it, and see if this type of training is helping, and where it should go.

Thx again for the advice all.

AdamBAG
12-27-2010, 08:40 AM
I may be in on this late, but this is what I do.

Monday - Lower Accessory/DE Lower
Wednesday - DE Upper
Friday - Max Effort Lower
Sunday - Max Effort Upper

I've found that if you are going to train back to back days it is best to have day 1 be an upper day and day 2 be a lower day. Benching the day after squatting or pulling heavy usually doesn't go so hot.

rinse
12-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I may be in on this late, but this is what I do.

Monday - Lower Accessory/DE Lower
Wednesday - DE Upper
Friday - Max Effort Lower
Sunday - Max Effort Upper

I've found that if you are going to train back to back days it is best to have day 1 be an upper day and day 2 be a lower day. Benching the day after squatting or pulling heavy usually doesn't go so hot.

I agree and so does most people I've talked to.

Dan Fanelli
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Well I did the first session of sandbag work today. We are starting out slow with it and leaving room for progression. So far, all seems good.... I'll see how DE bench goes tommorow.