PDA

View Full Version : Back injury question

Kevin K
12-25-2010, 07:57 AM
I went to the chiropractor last week to find out what was causing pain in my lower back and right ass cheek. I had this pain for about a year from when I fell on my ass. The first doctor I went to told me I had a pinched nerve and gave a pain pack. So anyways, the chiropractor took an x-ray and found out that some of the vertebrae in my lower to mid back were twisted to the right causing that nerve to be pinched.

I have to go to the chiropractor for three more months to get it straightened out. The first three weeks I go three times a week. The next three weeks I go twice a week. The next three weeks I go once a week. He said during the first three weeks of adjustments, I shouldn’t do heavy squats or deadlifts. He said I can do light squats and deads. After the first three weeks of adjustments, I can go heavy again.

My question is, is there anything I can do to retain my strength in squats and deads during the first three weeks or will I even lose any strength?

Thanks

theBarzeen
12-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I just had a similar injury ( while doing a really light sumo deadlift my abnormally tight hips pulled something out in my lower back, Chiro said twisted vertebrae)

My personal opinion on this ( and every one has one) is that unless you have a meet coming up, just listen to the doctor. You won't lose that much, and 3 weeks off to deal with a little injury is better than hurting it worse and having to take 3 months off.

AdamBAG
12-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I am rehabbing a similar injury. Listen to the doctor. When you are being adjusted three times a week you are susceptible to something moving under a heavy load. That's why your doc is telling you to go light during the first few weeks.

Things that have helped my low back are mobility work, foam rolling, and glute activation work. You can do all of these things while you are trying to get healthy.

kzk464s
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Just listen to the docs. You'll be fine. It may take a few extra weeks or more to get back to where you were, but everyone goes through this in some way or another many times over their lifting careers.

Kevin K
12-28-2010, 07:42 AM
The thing is I pulled a PR a couple of hours before my first appointment. He told me he doesn't want me pulling or squatting heavy for three weeks to keep the load of my spine. He said after three weeks I can go heavy again.

kzk464s
12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Listen to the doctor.

Just listen to the docs.

My personal opinion on this ( and every one has one) is that unless you have a meet coming up, just listen to the doctor.

The thing is I pulled a PR a couple of hours before my first appointment. He told me he doesn't want me pulling or squatting heavy for three weeks to keep the load of my spine. He said after three weeks I can go heavy again.

See above.

mastermonster
12-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Great! hit a PR! So, just treat the next 3 weeks like a pull back period after a meet; get well and don't worry about it. Same thing. Even without an injury, you can't go balls to the wall all the time without a pull back - deload period...whatever you want to call it. So, just do the light stuff and get well so you CAN hit a new PR soon. Good luck!

Kevin K
12-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Great! hit a PR! So, just treat the next 3 weeks like a pull back period after a meet; get well and don't worry about it. Same thing. Even without an injury, you can't go balls to the wall all the time without a pull back - deload period...whatever you want to call it. So, just do the light stuff and get well so you CAN hit a new PR soon. Good luck!

I'm just going to take it easy these three weeks and come back stronger.

SEOINAGE
12-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm wondering If I should go to a chiropractor as well. for about two months i have been taking it easy, right below where you would put your hands on your hip at about the belt line i have some soreness on my right side that will not go away. I notice it when sitting in hte car when the seat belt pushes against it. Anyone have a clue what is going on? Also have the pain in my glutes after every time I do any deadlift or squatting over 300, which shouldn't be difficult for me. Also have a slight pain in my right lower back. I have aggravated my back many years ago, but usually as long as I train and keep it strong i dont have a problem. But this glute thing has been around a while its just getting worse now. On another forum people were telling me i was overtraining which I find hard to believe as I've been training low volume and haven't even been getting into the gym very often.