PDA

View Full Version : Can you really convert fat to muscle directly?

CrypticAce522
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I've been bulking up, and I've gained a lot of weight recently purposefully. Let's say I wanted to maintain my current weight, but make my body more muscular at this weight. Do I have to first lose the fat that I've accumulated by bulking up, and then gain the muscle after that, or can I convert fat to muscle by eating the amount of calories that would enable me to maintain this weight?

4g64fiero
12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
No..

Read the articles on this website. They're full of great info.

Dan Fanelli
12-26-2010, 06:19 PM
You can eat about the same amount of calories and stay the same weight, but the fat isn't converting into muscle directly.

CrypticAce522
12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
No..

Read the articles on this website. They're full of great info.
Care to link me to some??

You can eat about the same amount of calories and stay the same weight, but the fat isn't converting into muscle directly.

Is it possible, then, to lose fat while maintaining virtually the same strength or close to it?

4g64fiero
12-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Care to link me to some??

Is it possible, then, to lose fat while maintaining virtually the same strength or close to it?

The nutrition articles are under diet and nutrition. They really are great.

You can lose fat while maintaining strength for a while. You may even gain a little strength at first but you eventually start to get weaker albeit the pace at which everything occurs really depends on how you are training and how much of a calorie deficit you are in.

Most of what I know came from here and google. I wont be able to explain it better than the articles.

CrypticAce522
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
The nutrition articles are under diet and nutrition. They really are great.

You can lose fat while maintaining strength for a while. You may even gain a little strength at first but you eventually start to get weaker albeit the pace at which everything occurs really depends on how you are training and how much of a calorie deficit you are in.

Most of what I know came from here and google. I wont be able to explain it better than the articles.

Let me be clear: My goal is to maintain my current bodyweight the best I can, and change my body composition at the same time by adding muscle without gaining weight. I will read through some of the articles in hopes that they will address this question.

Off Road
12-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat and stay at the same weight.
It is extremely difficult and you'll probably fail, but it is possible.

CrypticAce522
12-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat and stay at the same weight.
It is extremely difficult and you'll probably fail, but it is possible.

Is there any specific article you can recall that would give me some science about this, just so I know what I would need to do if I were to try it?

Or if you know offhand. I'm just looking for the basics of it right now. I'm curious if it is a matter of working out extremely hard (which I do already), or if it involves complex and dieting that requires extra knowledge and planning.

Keith
12-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Is there any specific article you can recall that would give me some science about this, just so I know what I would need to do if I were to try it?

Or if you know offhand. I'm just looking for the basics of it right now. I'm curious if it is a matter of working out extremely hard (which I do already), or if it involves complex and dieting that requires extra knowledge and planning.

UD 2.0

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

This is way beyond the basics, but there you go if you ever care to read and learn this kind of material.

CrypticAce522
12-26-2010, 09:05 PM
UD 2.0

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

This is way beyond the basics, but there you go if you ever care to read and learn this kind of material.

Link me to specific links if you wish. I know how to get to the main section. I'm willing to learn, but I don't want to read 10 articles that are irrelevant to what I am looking for before finding what I need.

Keith
12-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Link me to specific links if you wish. I know how to get to the main section. I'm willing to learn, but I don't want to read 10 articles that are irrelevant to what I am looking for before finding what I need.

I linked you to all the threads discussing UD 2.0. You need to buy the book to get a true understanding of the method, but if you read the commonly discussed topics, I'm sure you could piece it together.

Dan Fanelli
12-26-2010, 09:34 PM
It really shouldn't be that hard, depending on your goals. You wont get to <10% BF probably without cutting weight, but if you are already at your desired weight, then there is no need to do any drastic changes in calorie balance.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

Off Road
12-26-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/
That's probably the simplest way to do it and the most fool-proof. I am not a diet expert and I don't mind carrying a little extra body fat, so I tend to agree with the simple recommendations. There are other ways to do it, but I'm not well versed on them. Any way you do it, you'll have to be pretty accurate with your diet and keep putting the effort in at the gym.