PDA

View Full Version : Best Muscle Building Foods

tonylee21
12-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Found this article, thought I'd share it.

From mens total fitness dot com:
===========
Some of the most common muscle building foods are:

* Chicken
* Turkey
* Fish and shellfish
* Eggs
* Red meats
* Dairy products

The problem with these foods is obvious. Since many of the best muscle building foods are derived from animal sources, they also tend to be high in saturated fat. If you are going to be eating these with every meal, it is essential to choose the leanest muscle building foods you can find. A list of some of the best, low-fat muscle building foods are:

* Egg whites
* Lean meats, poultry and fish
* Non-fat or low-fat milk and dairy products (skim milk and cottage cheese are terrific foods)
* Turkey breast
* Lean cuts of red meat
* Skinless chicken breast

Of course even the best muscle building foods can only do so much, and you will still need to exercise regularly with weights in order to build significant muscle mass. Muscle building foods are not a shortcut to well defined muscles; they are merely another ingredient, along with exercise, toward the ultimate goal of a healthier and more chiseled body.
===========

I've also heard that saturated fat isn't inherently bad for you- it's only bad when your ratio of saturated : unsaturated fat is higer than 1:1. (Can't remember the source, but I'll look for it) Good sources of unsaturated fat are nuts, seeds, fish, algae, leafy greens, and krill.

Thoughts?

Behemoth
12-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Saturated fat has nothing to do with ratio to unsaturated fat that you eat. A little is good, a lot is bad, regardless if you're eating another 200g of unsaturated fat.

Songsangnim
12-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Found this article, thought I'd share it.

From mens total fitness dot com:
===========
Some of the most common muscle building foods are:

* Chicken
* Turkey
* Fish and shellfish
* Eggs
* Red meats
* Dairy products

The problem with these foods is obvious. Since many of the best muscle building foods are derived from animal sources, they also tend to be high in saturated fat. If you are going to be eating these with every meal, it is essential to choose the leanest muscle building foods you can find. A list of some of the best, low-fat muscle building foods are:

* Egg whites
* Lean meats, poultry and fish
* Non-fat or low-fat milk and dairy products (skim milk and cottage cheese are terrific foods)
* Turkey breast
* Lean cuts of red meat
* Skinless chicken breast

Of course even the best muscle building foods can only do so much, and you will still need to exercise regularly with weights in order to build significant muscle mass. Muscle building foods are not a shortcut to well defined muscles; they are merely another ingredient, along with exercise, toward the ultimate goal of a healthier and more chiseled body.
===========

I've also heard that saturated fat isn't inherently bad for you- it's only bad when your ratio of saturated : unsaturated fat is higer than 1:1. (Can't remember the source, but I'll look for it) Good sources of unsaturated fat are nuts, seeds, fish, algae, leafy greens, and krill.

Thoughts?

I have a few:

First. Chicken, turkey and fish tend to be quite low in saturated fat and the little that they contain (as opposed to other foods) is not likely to significantly slow your progress.

Second. "Low fat muscle building foods" are alright...but you don't have to eat ultra clean to make progress...indeed you can make more progress on a diet of "dirty" foods that contain enough calories and protein than a "clean" diet that doesn't contain enough of either. Some people do find it difficult to get enough calories in cleanly.. (I dislike the terms "clean" and "dirty" but they serve to get the point across).

3. Third. Fat is not all bad. The proposed foods above (depending on their consumption) could actually end up not being good for you because of their low or no fat content. You do need some fat in your diet and the "cleaner" you eat the harder this gets.

BigBassBo
12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I vote peanut butter :)
I am just waiting for the recipe that combines peanut butter, tuna, and milk. I would be set for life

Off Road
12-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Beef...It's what's for dinner.

Dan Fanelli
01-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Beef...It's what's for dinner.

Beat me to it.

bradley
01-27-2011, 07:04 AM
This may be shifting the topic of the thread a bit, but saturated fat is what I would consider a double-edged sword. Excessive amounts have been linked to heart disease, but decreasing saturated fats have been associated with decreased testosterone levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15107010

Behemoth
01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
This may be shifting the topic of the thread a bit, but saturated fat is what I would consider a double-edged sword. Excessive amounts have been linked to heart disease, but decreasing saturated fats have been associated with decreased testosterone levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15107010

Holy ****! Where have you been hiding at bro?

bradley
01-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Holy ****! Where have you been hiding at bro?

Just been busy and I must admit I haven't been getting in the gym as much as I used to. I am trying to get back motivated and the forums should help with that. I am going to be lurking around and posting here and there. I am happy to see that At Large has gotten into full swing. Lots of new folks on the boards these days.

rickyhyden
01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Carbohydrates are Muscle sparing nutrients. The body uses carbs for energy and muscles are filled with glycogen as well. Quality carbs will help you with high energy so vital for Muscle building workouts.

The Best Complex Carbs
* Bread
* Brown rice
* Oatmeal
* Bagel
* Pasta
* Cereals
* Potatoes

The Best Protein Foods

* Chicken breast
* Turkey
* Tuna
* Egg whites
* Cottage cheese
* Yogurt
* Protein Shakes

nicecrew
02-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Hi jim faster,
Just curious, what defines quality protein?
thanks nicecrew

Behemoth
02-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi jim faster,
Just curious, what defines quality protein?
thanks nicecrew

Different sources vary. But any complete source should pretty much be considered quality. Meats, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs etc. Incomplete sources would be protein from things like wheat, oats, vegetables etc.

cutter
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I vote peanut butter :)
I am just waiting for the recipe that combines peanut butter, tuna, and milk. I would be set for life

1 can beer
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1/8 cup Chillin powder
1/8 cup parsley
3 or so cups tuna
Mix it all up and simmer until sticky. Makes an oddly tasty sandwich.

jordynsdaddy
02-14-2011, 12:11 PM
1 can beer
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1/8 cup Chillin powder
1/8 cup parsley
3 or so cups tuna
Mix it all up and simmer until sticky. Makes an oddly tasty sandwich.

Your kidding me right?

Hugol
02-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Carbohydrates are Muscle sparing nutrients. The body uses carbs for energy and muscles are filled with glycogen as well. Quality carbs will help you with high energy so vital for Muscle building workouts.

The Best Complex Carbs
* Bread
* Brown rice
* Oatmeal
* Bagel
* Pasta
* Cereals
* Potatoes

The Best Protein Foods

* Chicken breast
* Turkey
* Tuna
* Egg whites
* Cottage cheese
* Yogurt
* Protein Shakes

Thanks dude, this is very helpful :thumbup:

bradley
02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
I would consider eating whole eggs instead of discardikng the yolk,unless you are dieting to a low bodyfat percentage.

Hugol
02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Is there a difference in taste from brown rice and any other kind of rice?

bradley
02-16-2011, 04:59 AM
Is there a difference in taste from brown rice and any other kind of rice?

There is a different in taste and texture between different types of rice. I posted a link that will explain the difference in a little more detail. I personally enjoy the taste of brown rice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice