PDA

View Full Version : Question about bulking/cutting...

Morox
12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
One year ago I was sitting at around 150-155 and now I am roughly 173 lbs (and 5'9" tall). This is my ideal weight but my problem is that I am around 15% bf. I want to be around 10% or so but I don't want to pack on more pounds and cut it. If I was to go on a strict diet and incorporate a lot more cardio, would I shed fat thus lowering my bf % but maintain my weight?

4g64fiero
12-27-2010, 06:03 PM
You are not going to maintain that weight by just cutting fat. You will have to either gain muscle till your body fat is10%(takes a while from 15%) or cut till your BF is 10% then work back up to your weight.

Personally, I would just work on building muscle even thought it will be a lot longer of a process.

Dan Fanelli
12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
You are not going to maintain that weight by just cutting fat. You will have to either gain muscle till your body fat is10%(takes a while from 15%) or cut till your BF is 10% then work back up to your weight.

Personally, I would just work on building muscle even thought it will be a lot longer of a process.

This is sorta right... But there is the possibility of you adding muscle and losing fat for the most part evenly. Its going to depend on a lot of factors, but cardio isn't really the only answer. Resistance training is going to be a much bigger part of it.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

colinS3
12-27-2010, 10:26 PM
If you keep up a good lifting routine, eat a little better, and do some cardio then you should be golden. It might be a long process, but if you keep at it like that then you'll be down 5% BF at the same weight for sure. Just stay dedicated.

Keep in mind that a lot of cardio will burn muscle and make any gains in the gym a little slower. While that's happening your caloric intake could go up as well because your body will have to keep up with the energy you'll be using to do the cardio (especially if you go on longer runs). As long as you don't eat more than you really need you won't get heavier though.

You'll also need a lot more muscle to get to that weight without that extra 5% BF, which is why the lifting is really important too.

Codeguru
12-28-2010, 02:03 AM
One year ago I was sitting at around 150-155 and now I am roughly 173 lbs (and 5'9" tall). This is my ideal weight but my problem is that I am around 15% bf. I want to be around 10% or so but I don't want to pack on more pounds and cut it. If I was to go on a strict diet and incorporate a lot more cardio, would I shed fat thus lowering my bf % but maintain my weight?

Speaking for my experience, when I start to pack on the pounds now it seems to form all over and more invisibly instead of being where it was the first time I lost it. I've almost gained about 10 pounds back during these holiday months but my ab bulges still seem to be there which leads me to believe things will start to even out even moreso when I cut back down to where I was. So small amounts of bulking then cutting don't seem to make any negative difference. But then again I'm more worried about looks than weight...