PDA

View Full Version : Have a few general questions about deadlifting...

4g64fiero
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Basically, I have a situation with my squat form that has cause me to have a quad dominant approach to lower body movements although I squat ATG on my volume day. I also had very tight hamstrings but I stretch everyday now.

Now, this seems to have a multitude of effects on my training. Since I have not been incorporating the hammys into my training as I should, I have a poor deadlift number in relation to my squat number.

Anyways, I have corrected the squat form. I am now focusing on driving from the heels and I find that brings the hams into the movement alot more.

So, I am curious to see how long it will take before I see an improvement in my deadlift. I have started doing some box squats on recovery day as well. I really am hoping my deadlift starts to develope quickly. I am eating in a caloric excess and eat plenty of protein.

In summary, I am wondering what to expect in the developement of my deadlifts and how fast it will progress now that I have become "hamstring conscience". I know this is a wierd question, but its on my mind alot.

NickAus
12-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Can you write out your general training program?

You can prob add a lot to your deeds if your pretty new to them.

4g64fiero
12-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I restarted back in November using something that mildy resembles the Texas Method.

My volume day is as such:
squat 5x5
bench press 5x5
SLDL 3x8
pullups 3x8

recovery day:
box squats 3x3
bench press 3x3
pendlay rows 3x8
power cleans 3x8

Max day:
squat 1x1 or 2 or 3
bench 1x1 or 2 or 3
deadlift 1x5
shoulder press 5x5

My training log is at http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?133595-4g64fiero-s-trek-to-a-raw-1300-total.

Dan Fanelli
12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
How much do you deadlift

4g64fiero
12-27-2010, 07:13 PM
^^^ Thats in my sig.

I squat 415 down to a box that is about an inch below parallel for me.

My volume day is 315x5x5 of ass to calves. I know I dont have an issue with depth. I spend so much time making sure I am going low enough.

My deadlift is 385 and it is utter war getting it up. I can barely keep my back straight.

smallwoodjt
12-27-2010, 08:19 PM
^^^ Thats in my sig.

I squat 415 down to a box that is about an inch below parallel for me.

My volume day is 315x5x5 of ass to calves. I know I dont have an issue with depth. I spend so much time making sure I am going low enough.

My deadlift is 385 and it is utter war getting it up. I can barely keep my back straight.

I had a training partner with really tight hamstrings that seemed to have the same problem. He has really long femurs and is 6'3". My recommendation was to buy PVC at home depot and roll your hamstrings like crazy. And then apply as much blue heat as possible...

Sean S
12-27-2010, 08:37 PM
If your quad/hamstring strength ratio is really as disproportionate you as say, I would recommend adding one direct hamstring exercise every training day. Things like GHR's and band leg curls and even back raises can be done at the end of every workout and shouldn't have too big an impact on your overall recovery. A program of all compound movements can be OK for someone without any huge strength imbalances, but if your hamstrings are truly that far behind everything else they probably need some extra attention.

4g64fiero
12-28-2010, 06:43 AM
If your quad/hamstring strength ratio is really as disproportionate you as say, I would recommend adding one direct hamstring exercise every training day. Things like GHR's and band leg curls and even back raises can be done at the end of every workout and shouldn't have too big an impact on your overall recovery. A program of all compound movements can be OK for someone without any huge strength imbalances, but if your hamstrings are truly that far behind everything else they probably need some extra attention.

I am imbalanced. Its because I lifted with no coach and didnt check in on here for a few months haha. I will start adding hamstring exercises to the end of every workout and keep an eye on them for over training. Thanks for the suggestion!

4g64fiero
12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Any way this could be a grip issue also? I seem to be letting go of the weight before I get to the top when I am maxing. Its pretty much hanging at my fingertips.

Kiff
12-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Any way this could be a grip issue also? I seem to be letting go of the weight before I get to the top when I am maxing. Its pretty much hanging at my fingertips.

Chalk up?

4g64fiero
12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
The gym doesnt allow chalk so I am saving up for a power rack and weights to get off craigslist right now. It will be next month before I can get that because I dont have the space ATM.

Does chalk really make that big of a difference?

Sean S
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Chalk makes a huge difference if your grip is failing. It can make the difference between not being able to finish the lift due to the bar slipping out and being able to complete a heavier lift and holding it several seconds at the top with no risk of grip failure.

BoAnderson71
12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
train your grip. You can get liquid chalk, not as good as the real stuff but better than no chalk.

4g64fiero
01-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I did rack pulls today and I could not go over 315 with double overhand before the weight would slip out.

Is it sufficient to say at this point that my grip is horrible? Will rack pulls be a good way to train them for deadlift without overtraining me?

theBarzeen
01-02-2011, 06:37 PM
You can work rack pulls with an over/under grip, or with straps to get your back stronger....

and

I'm guessing since your gym doesn't allow chalk it is either a collegiate gym or commercial gym. In either case they probably also have a crappy bar. Go find a powerlifting gym for the next time you want to go heavy and try it with a real deadlift bar and some chalk.

then

just keep doing work.... you'll get there

frayedknot
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Get an Eco-ball from Amazon - it's dust-free chalk for climbers.

As previously mentioned, use a better bar. I got a decent bar and it made a huge difference with my pulls.

Iplan
01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Use a better bar. I got a decent bar and it made a huge difference with my pulls.

Okay,,,,, I'll bite at the risk of confirming my ignorance. Why would a better bar make a difference?

SELK
01-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Okay,,,,, I'll bite at the risk of confirming my ignorance. Why would a better bar make a difference?

You may be able to grip it better, and some bars have more whip so they will actually help you lift a little more weight.

For training I use the stiffest bar I can find. Then goto a meet and pull ~50lbs more.. works for me.