PDA

View Full Version : Any Shooters in Here?

Chubrock
12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Put this up in my journal as well.

Did a little pistol work this afternoon.

Used my duty gear, as always. Only difference is I switched to 9mm for the triples and 1-1-1.

Gun: Smith and Wesson M&P .357SIG
Holster: Safariland ALS
Magazine Carrier: G&G Snap Top

All iterations shot on a 8" plate at 7 yards. 3-4yds in between each plate.

Best times:

Single- 1.75 sec

Double- 1.97 sec

Triple- 2.17 sec; 2.21 sec

1-1-1- 2.61 sec; 2.75 sec; 2.84 sec; 2.88 sec

1-1-1, mag change, 1-1-1- 6.38 sec

23xXbZZgPck

Comment:

Not too bad today. Need to be faster, therefore I need to be smoother.

GreggNJ
12-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Nice vid! I'm a shooter, NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle instructor. Bad part is I live in New Jersey :-( have to admit I usually shoot at paper, never got into any competition disciplines. Maybe at some point in time. *sigh* So many things I want to do, but never enough time to do them.

kmagnuss
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Nice shooting. I'm a gun nut also, but not nearly as good with the pistol as you. Your technique is very good, and I liked that you do you magazine changes in front of your face instead of looking down like most range commandos do. Keep up the practice, it's something that, unfortunately, most cops don't do enough of.

-Mag

Chubrock
12-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I appreciate it guys. I shoot, and try to shoot a lot. The majority of my training is dry firing, or at least it is when the work schedule allows.

Chubrock
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Did a bit more shooting today with a buddy of mine. Shot some of the same drills and then added some new ones.

All iterations shot on a 8" plate at either 7, 15 or 50 yards. 3-4yds in between each plate.

Best times:

Single- 1.74 sec

1-1-1, mag change, 1-1-1- 6.74 sec (this is .4 seconds slower than when I use 9mm)

2 rds at 15yds - 2.59 sec, 2.71 sec. 2.75 sec. 2.9 sec

6l0BBLLHqf0

Comments:

Still get a slight rock to the left on my draw. Wasted movement = wasted time. More dry fire in my future. Also shot some pure accuracy stuff today which went pretty decently.

sthrnfryedyakee
01-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Shooter here from SC, I have some interesting goodies that I love to go out n play with here and there :-) I am not as good with a pistol as you but give me one of my rifles and im golden.

Chubrock
01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I'll run my carbine from time to time, but predominately shoot pistol.

Mark!
01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
I shoot frequently. Our range is set up for qualifying and then for sport shoot at the end, we finally got the Cpt's permission to play with some of the old range stuff, took forever. We're working on an obstacle course since there are a good number of us that compete in sport shooting, both rifle/shotgun and pistol events. If I'm not shooting out there, am at a buddies range, he's ex LEO. If I'm not shooting I'm usually working, writing, tinkering with something gun related. Love rifles, but also love my glocks. I recently acquired a Mosin Nagant sniper rifle for Christmas, absolutely amazing rifle. I'll have to get some videos up from our range and some competitions we run. Also have competed with the Dallas Pistol Clue, just waiting on the LONG waiting list for full membership.

Chubrock
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Post some vids up Mark.

Did a bit of shooting today. Cold and windy but at least there wasn't snow on the ground this time.

I've altered my stance and shooting posture just a bit. Only been working on it for a little over a week, but already I'm a good bit faster. Even with the Threat Lvl 3 holster I've dropped my first shot down below 1.5 seconds. I'm shooting a bit high and over the top at times, but I attribute that to the fact that this new shooting stance has me a bit more upright than the old.

All singles and doubles shot at 7 yards on a 8" plate. Steel Challenge shot at 10 yards on 8" plates and 14" stop/start plate.

Best Times-

Singles - 1.38 (.36 PR), 1.41, 1.44

Doubles- 1.76 (.21 PR), 1.77, 1.79

5 Shot Steel Challenge - 3.88

5 Shot Steel Challenge (small 6" circles)- 4.50

j3e81XEwWJM

Chubrock
02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Hit up the range today. Perfect weather. I've neglected my dry firing for the last two weeks or so. I can tell I've let some things go by the wayside.

Holster: Safariland Lvl 3 ALS
Mag Pouch: G&G Snap Top

Iterations shot at 7, 10 and 25yds on either an IPSC target or 8" steel plate.

Best times-

1 Shot to A Zone: 1.27 (.11 sec PR), 1.29, 1.30

Double on 8" Steel: 1.62 (.14 sec PR), 1.70

Also worked on some magazine changes, which I've severely neglected. Worked a stress test for a bit as well. The standard is 2 rounds in 4 seconds to the A zone at 25yds. I used an 8" steel plate instead of the IPSC target. I have a habit of rushing this standard and finishing somewhere around the 2.5 second mark with a miss. The miss almost never occurs on the second round. I'm grossly underestimating how much time I have to take that first shot.

A couple of other things I've noticed. I'm taking an overly aggressive stance on some of the iterations. I also need to make my presentation a bit higher. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the front sight. With that said, I seem to be doing a decent job of presenting the gun straight out. If I have a "miss" it's usually either high or slightly low and almost never left or right.

wkZTNmrl0II

Chubrock
02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
One Hole Drills shot at 5 and 7 yards on a 10m Air Rifle Target. Black bull is 1.25". Display on my timer wasn't working so all I had was the buzzer tone to work with. Bill Drills shot at ~6 yards or so on an 8" circle. All rounds good to go in your 8-10" standard. All drills shot with my duty .357SIG.

One big thing I'm noticing is that I stand a bit too upright on the One Hole Drills. I've almost stood up to the point that my hips begin to tuck under. I need to fix that.

As always, I'm interested in any critiques.

8BlbcDuO4xo

ralary
02-22-2011, 02:10 AM
nice shooting,I am a shooter,but cannt compare with this

Chubrock
03-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Hit the range today. Did something a bit different than I normally do. Worked on some of my usual drills but pushed myself beyond my comfort zone. Used a time standard/goal that I'm currently unable to hit ~90% of the time. Hit some new best times, but like I said, they aren't something that I can duplicate on demand.

I apologize in advance for the quality of the video. I'm having some computer issues and I cut some of the clips short. The Flip Software merged several clips together so it's a bit difficult to see where one ends and the next begins. I added some of my "misses" at the beginning of each segment so that you can see where I begin screwing things up.

Observations:

As I push the pace I start cutting corners on my technique. I start cutting my draw stroke short and fail to get the front post high up into my line of sight. This creates a low to high movement which has me push rounds over the top of my POA. As the time standard increases in difficulty, I start to revert back to a more aggressive stance. I need to work on staying relaxed/fluid throughout the movements.

All iterations shot on pepper poppers at 7-10m out of a Threat Lvl 3 ALS.

Best Times -

Single Round - 1.18 (.07 sec PR), several in the low 1.2Xs
Double - 1.46 (.16 sec PR), several in the low to mid 1.5Xs
Triple - 1.83 (.34 sec PR)
1-1-1 - 1.93 (.68 sec PR), several runs in the low 2.XXs

oceG81DY9nA

Chubrock
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Back on the range for some more work. Worked some new stuff again. Did a bit of reload work and then some steel challenge stages.

Everything was shot between 7 and 10 yards. Reload work was done on the 8" plates, and the steel challenge stages were shot using a mixture of plate sizes and configurations.

Holster: Safariland Lvl 3 ALS
Mag Pouch: G&G Snap Top

Best time-

Reload - 2.22
Steel Challenge - all times ranging from 3.7-4.7 depending on stage

OJHuJOC8hF4

Critiques, as always, are welcomed.

f=ma
03-20-2011, 03:23 PM
what would you recommend for a first handgun? i was looking at walther PPS .40 and PPQ .40. this would be purely for a CCW weapon. i think the PPQ would be a good choice being that it is so small

Chubrock
03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
what would you recommend for a first handgun? i was looking at walther PPS .40 and PPQ .40. this would be purely for a CCW weapon. i think the PPQ would be a good choice being that it is so small

How many Walthers have you shot? I ask, because a pistol is a very personal buy. Much like a custom motorcycle has to be set up for the rider, a pistol has to feel right to the shooter. I can recommend manufacturers all day, but you really need to spend a bit of time shooting a couple of different setups before you make a final decision.

I'll say this, I've always been a Glock guy, and more specifically the Generation 3s. I like how they point, how they shoot, and the reliability behind the name. With that said, our duty weapon is a Smith and Wesson M&P. As such, I carry a compact M&P off duty. If I can't shoot a Glock, I'd want to shoot this weapon. Both of mine have been nothing but reliable, and are great shooters.

As for the caliber of your CCW, I'd personally stick with a 9mm. There are many loads available these days that give you ballistics on par with the .40cal. The biggest downside to the .40cal is the cost of ammunition. A new shooter is going to need plenty of time on the gun, and shooting 9mm allows that without denting the wallet too much. You're looking at, on average, an extra 100rds or so of training ammo per $100 spent.

Chubrock
08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
There have got to be some other gun nuts on this board...

Shot a fun steel match this past weekend:

q3nm2KGiTQg

GreggNJ
08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
There have got to be some other gun nuts on this board...

Shot a fun steel match this past weekend:

Nice shooting! Looks like fun....I keep meaning to give steel challenge a try....I've got my buckmark set up for it, but I never get around to shoot any of the matches.....I've gotten more serious about my gym training, so shooting hasn't occurred in a while.
Also just noticed you were shooting left and right handed - very impressive...I can barely do a damn thing with my left hand, let alone shoot.

Chubrock
08-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Although I do shoot both left handed and right handed, there were two of us in that video. The other guy is a natural left handed shooter.

GreggNJ
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Ah - the same shirt threw me off......still, nice shooting!