PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilder, PowerLifter OR Just a Weightlifter??

tuna4me
12-29-2010, 06:46 AM
I hear this question alot.....thought it would provide some jovial comments from everyone..........curious to see what people are saying.............

So...if I am too fat to ever be considered a bodybuilder..:moon:...............and yet too weak to ever consider myself a power lifter....:drooling:.......what do I say to someone when they ask...........are you a weightlifter or powerlifter or bodybuilder???:boring:

" I see you spend alot of time in the gym"...hahaha

StLRPh
12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Just a point of clarification a weightlifter is technically someone who trains in the Olympic lifts (Snatch and Clean & Jerk).

A few points I'd make is that you don't have to be fat to be a powerlifter (I'd say that most aren't, its just that the Super Heavies get a lot of attention b/c of the weights they put up) and many bodybuilders are pretty damn strong.

For me I'm just a lifter...

Tom Mutaffis
12-29-2010, 08:42 AM
"Power-Builder"... someone who simply wants to be big and strong.

ct67_72
12-29-2010, 09:04 AM

I like this one.
I always say that I am a powerlifter because I compete as one no matter how strong I am

BigBassBo
12-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I lift for athletic performance first, aesthetics a far second. I'd say power lifter for that reason.

joey54
12-29-2010, 09:40 AM
If you can't be an athlete, you can always be an athletic supporter.

In all seriousness you fit the description of a gym rat or quite possibly weekend warrior.

Brian Hopper
12-29-2010, 09:55 AM

I like it!!!

Off Road
12-29-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm not a bodybuilder, I don't like exposing myself in public.
I'm not a powerlifter, I look horrible in a singlet and I'm weak as piss.
I'm not a weightlifter, my snatch stinks :)
I'm not a strongman, those big/athletic guys scare me.

I'm just a "Lifter."

tuna4me
12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Power-Builder!.....novel idea!... .......

now to mix it up just a little more.......................say you've competed as a bodybuilder, stepped on stage in your little posing trunks.............and later you competed in power lifting................do you get to claim equal footing for each sport??.........such as winter time when one tends to bulk more.....one could say.." Why yes I am a bodybuilder........however it's OFF-SEASON for me now!. haha..........

AND.........if someone just benches only?? or say performs the bench and deadlift?..........if one doesn't compete in all three power lifts ..........does that still privy them to say......" Yes I am a power lifter?"

Power-Builder.... just making yourself big, strong, and living to see another day healthy and hearty!...............I like it!:clown:

BigBassBo
12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
If you can't be an athlete, you can always be an athletic supporter.

In all seriousness you fit the description of a gym rat or quite possibly weekend warrior.
A weekend warrior implies that one would lift only on the weekends, or rarely. I'm in it for the long haul.:indian:

joey54
12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
A weekend warrior implies that one would lift only on the weekends, or rarely. I'm in it for the long haul.:indian:

There is probably a broader spectrum it applies to, but I was responding to the OP.

tuna4me
12-29-2010, 01:55 PM
There is probably a broader spectrum it applies to, but I was responding to the OP.

Normally I hear the term 'Weekend Warrior' for those who chose to serve in the US Military in the Reserves capacity........hence the term. weekend warrior, they serve the military on weekends.
Then again, by the term 'weekend' one is being specific and selective to performing a task on weekends only usually.

BUT it's all good.. the OP was a jovial curious look into the lighter side of people's perceptions.:):)

mastermonster
12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
My turn! When you are not yet competitively envolved in a sport, you do not wear the 'title' of that sport. Example; football player, powerllifter, bodybuilder, strongman etc. Until then, when someone ask you what you do; say I just workout. If you want to say I'm training to be a powerlifter, bodybuilder, football player etc.' that's fine. But the title of powerlifter, bodybuilder, football player etc. should only be reserved for those who have participated in the sports competitively. I'm from the old school mentality of' 'if you ain't earned it, don't claim it.' It would be the same thing as working as a teller at the bank and saying I'm the president of the bank. You may have plans and ambitions to be, but until you are you are not. This very topic is really one of my major pet peaves! So, do what your Mom and Dad taught you; tell the truth. Just say; I just work out...or I'm training to be a ############## whatever that is. But til you take the step to compete in that sport, you AIN'T one yet. Example: I wouldn't call myself a football player til I played in my 1st game. Same with bodybuilding, powerlifting, boxing, and full contact karate fighter. I've done a lot of stuff over the years and been able to 'wear' a lot of titles. But when I was just working out in the gym to be any of those things, I was just 'working out'. That's how I see it shoud be handled. Calling yourself something (a title) before you are just isn't ethical as I see it. When someone asked you what you do to look like that, you are either about to tell them a lie or tell them the truth. I guess if you're about to wear someone's title undeservingly, it's up to you. I'd just say I work out until that changes.

Sean S
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
My turn! When you are not yet competitively envolved in a sport, you do not wear the 'title' of that sport. Example; football player, powerllifter, bodybuilder, strongman etc. Until then, when someone ask you what you do; say I just workout. If you want to say I'm training to be a powerlifter, bodybuilder, football player etc.' that's fine. But the title of powerlifter, bodybuilder, football player etc. should only be reserved for those who have participated in the sports competitively. I'm from the old school mentality of' 'if you ain't earned it, don't claim it.' It would be the same thing as working as a teller at the bank and saying I'm the president of the bank. You may have plans and ambitions to be, but until you are you are not. This very topic is really one of my major pet peaves! So, do what your Mom and Dad taught you; tell the truth. Just say; I just work out...or I'm training to be a ############## whatever that is. But til you take the step to compete in that sport, you AIN'T one yet. Example: I wouldn't call myself a football player til I played in my 1st game. Same with bodybuilding, powerlifting, boxing, and full contact karate fighter. I've done a lot of stuff over the years and been able to 'wear' a lot of titles. But when I was just working out in the gym to be any of those things, I was just 'working out'. That's how I see it shoud be handled. Calling yourself something (a title) before you are just isn't ethical as I see it. When someone asked you what you do to look like that, you are either about to tell them a lie or tell them the truth. I guess if you're about to wear someone's title undeservingly, it's up to you. I'd just say I work out until that changes.

Agreed. I have an extra degree of respect for those that compete in whatever their chosen endeavor. Thus I think these various titles should be reserved for those that compete. I've been a football player and a powerlifter in the past, but wouldn't call myself either one right now. My last powerlifting competition was ~10 months ago and I don't have any plans to compete a again in the near future, so right now I won't even call myself a powerlifter and would say I'm just "working out" for the time being.

ThomasG
12-29-2010, 04:08 PM
If you don't compete but train like a bber or pler how about a practitioner of bodybuilding or powerlifting?

mastermonster
12-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Agreed. I have an extra degree of respect for those that compete in whatever their chosen endeavor. Thus I think these various titles should be reserved for those that compete. I've been a football player and a powerlifter in the past, but wouldn't call myself either one right now. My last powerlifting competition was ~10 months ago and I don't have any plans to compete a again in the near future, so right now I won't even call myself a powerlifter and would say I'm just "working out" for the time being.

If the other sports I've trained for and competed in come up in conversations, I say I used to be a bodybulder or a boxer...etc. If you trained for it, competed and then retire from it; you earned the title to be called an ex-powerlifter, football player...whatever. Sean, given the nature of our sport, I'd say if you haven't decided to totally retire yet; you are a powerlifter who just hasn't decided when his next meet is yet. I know I will never play football or box again, so I feel comfortable referring to myself as an ex-footall player and ex-boxer. I think once you've competed in a sport, you deserve the notoriety of that sport's title, even if ex; for life. Just my opinion.

BoAnderson71
12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Op, back to your first post. There are two options. You could say I am a bodybuilder and I am currently bulking. Its a very severe bulk hence, why I am fat. Or you could say that your powerlifter and on a severe cut, I.E. shw down to 242 so your lifts are suffering right now. Or you could just say Im here to check out all the hot ass in yoga pants on the eliptical.

tuna4me
12-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the great responses!... interesting perspective from each person who wrote in..

I have competed in bodybuilding, I did the diet stuff for 13 weeks, made the sacrifices to get up at 5 am to do extra cardio to try to get my fat azz in better shape and stepped on stage in those silly 'posing trunks'.....I won some.. and equally got beat like grandma's old rug!....overall it was fun and I gained a world of respect for those who do it today!....I gave it up however when Little Tom who worked out at Gail's Gym and Cardio center ( which happened to sponsor the contest ) beat me.. because of the 'political arena' involved... been there done it....

It was then I switched to competions in power lifting, my mindset being either I did the most weight for my class or I didn't......simple enough....

I have trained, suffered the 'ego trip' of so called fellow power lifting friends., endured the operations for weight related injuries and my stupidity and overall I have gained invaulable insight into the sport.
Today I still enjoy competitions, the drive to succeed as an individual regardless of what all others around me do is an awesome feeling.
Personally I don't call myself nothing,...,if asked I smile and simply say..." I don 't think I fit any model of either!"......I do and give to my fellow competitors and share their excitement when they do their best...and I continue to work on doing the most I can with what GOD has given me....

pricedtosell
12-29-2010, 08:58 PM
AND.........if someone just benches only?? or say performs the bench and deadlift?..........if one doesn't compete in all three power lifts ..........does that still privy them to say......" Yes I am a power lifter?"

They talked about this in Power Unlimited. The consensus seemed to be that unless you compete in and perform all 3 lifts for a total, then you are not a powerlifter.

mastermonster
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
They talked about this in Power Unlimited. The consensus seemed to be that unless you compete in and perform all 3 lifts for a total, then you are not a powerlifter.

I agree with this. If you only compete in bench pres or deadlift only, you are a bench press competitor or a deadlift competitor. This shouldn't be anything to be imbarrassed about and say I'm a powerlifter. It's what you chose to do or are limited to do by injury. Be proud of it and wear the right title.

Tuna4me; your 1st post seemed to imply you weren't a competitor in either sport. So, I don't understand why you were asking the question. But, it did raise some good discussion and ideology exchanges; so good!

tuna4me
12-31-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree with this. If you only compete in bench pres or deadlift only, you are a bench press competitor or a deadlift competitor. This shouldn't be anything to be imbarrassed about and say I'm a powerlifter. It's what you chose to do or are limited to do by injury. Be proud of it and wear the right title.

Tuna4me; your 1st post seemed to imply you weren't a competitor in either sport. So, I don't understand why you were asking the question. But, it did raise some good discussion and ideology exchanges; so good!

I apologize if my opening forum questioning was not forth right with stating I have competed in both areas MasterMonster. I frequently have heard the question kicked back & forth in the gym as I quietly listen to the responses from those that are in the gym, truthfully it's funny in some ways, to hear the responses, however I agree with the written responese and they have provided some good insights into each person's perspective.
I've learned over some 27 years of being in the gym either working out, training, or just trying to learn from others, I've learned an invaluable lesson, keep my mouth closed and ears wide open!. haha. Fortunately I located this awesome site where I can ask questions that if asked in the gym would more than likely fuel robust debates and frankly wind up pissing someone off....that's not my goal.......I just wanted to hear from the perceptions from the worldwide REAL lifters such as those that frequent this site!... ( in which I continue to learn tremendous amounts from!!)

mastermonster
12-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I apologize if my opening forum questioning was not forth right with stating I have competed in both areas MasterMonster. I frequently have heard the question kicked back & forth in the gym as I quietly listen to the responses from those that are in the gym, truthfully it's funny in some ways, to hear the responses, however I agree with the written responese and they have provided some good insights into each person's perspective.
I've learned over some 27 years of being in the gym either working out, training, or just trying to learn from others, I've learned an invaluable lesson, keep my mouth closed and ears wide open!. haha. Fortunately I located this awesome site where I can ask questions that if asked in the gym would more than likely fuel robust debates and frankly wind up pissing someone off....that's not my goal.......I just wanted to hear from the perceptions from the worldwide REAL lifters such as those that frequent this site!... ( in which I continue to learn tremendous amounts from!!)

Cool! It was a good thread!

JK1
01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I just tell people I'm a fat guy. they all understand that.

RayceeIII
01-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I just tell people I'm a fat guy. they all understand that.

This. Never any confusion or blank looks