PDA

View Full Version : Gain muscle while losing fat at the same time

trojan101
12-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I understand the whole bulking/cutting concept, but I wanted to know if simply eating (healthy) at maintenance for prolonged periods of time while working out hard could yield such a result. I like my weight, but would like to lose some fat and gian some muscle.

Off Road
12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
No, you need to eat at maintenance levels for your goal weight.

Kiff
12-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Sorry if i am being stupid here OR but is he not saying he is at his Goal weight now? Just wants to turn it into muscle?

Dan Fanelli
12-30-2010, 11:24 AM

??? I think that's what he was saying.

OP in regards to your question, it is VERY possible, and really the smarter way to go about things. But you will probably only go so far while at maintenance. So if you are currently undermuscled and 20% bf, then getting to 12-15% might be doable. But if you are already highly trained and at 10%, then getting any lower isn't as likely.

Fat burning fasted exercise is useful at targeting fat loss while maintaining weight. Resistance training needs to be a bit more dialed in as far as volume and progression go. And supplementation will be helpful. Other than that, carb/fat intake should be payed attention to and reduced if necessary. Also, nutrient timing strategies may be useful, although not as powerful as supplement companies and gurus would like you to believe.

Now be ready for a bunch of posts of people stating that it's ABSOLUTELY impossible.

Off Road
12-30-2010, 11:33 AM
my point is...

If you want to gain muscle and lose fat, your end goal will be heavier than it is now. You will not gain muscle by eating maintenance, you will need an increase. If all you want to do is maintain muscle and lose fat, then maintenance will be fine as long as you are doing something to increase expenditure.

Codeguru
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm doing this very thing, staying at around 170, gaining muscle, and losing fat. The fun thing about it for me is I've gotten so good at my routine diet, I can get back to almost any weight I want at any time. I've just come off of like a 2 week sugar bender with a morning weight of 180lbs. That was Sunday, and I weighed myself this morning, Thursday, and I'm back at 173-174lbs. And one nice thing about that is I actually increased my bench press reps as I was coming down for whatever reason. Obviously bulking doesn't have to be some big thing you do, just a back and forth motion that doesn't have to make you fat or affect your looks at all. And even when I was maintaining at 170, I was increasing weight resistance in all other exercises but bench press. I have no doubt if I put on 20-30 pounds I could bench press tons more than I am right now but it's not necessary to goto those extremes to get results, but it will be a more long term goal...

Codeguru

colinS3
12-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm actually doing this as well. Well, I may not be losing fat anymore but I'm definitely staying at a pretty low percentage while increasing muscle at a fast rate. Last year when I started lifting I was 135 lbs. and probably around 12% bodyfat if I had to take a stab at it. Now I'm probably between 8-12% bodyfat and 142-143 lbs for the most part. I haven't actually tested my bodyfat percentages but I'm 6 feet tall and pretty bony, and going off of other people's pictures I would say that's a safe guess. The point I'm trying to get across here is that you can do it, the process just takes a while. It's more long term than cutting or bulking for a certain period of time but definitely worth it in my opinion.

Dan Fanelli
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
my point is...

If you want to gain muscle and lose fat, your end goal will be heavier than it is now. You will not gain muscle by eating maintenance, you will need an increase. If all you want to do is maintain muscle and lose fat, then maintenance will be fine as long as you are doing something to increase expenditure.

This is not entirely accurate. Your maintenance will move up slightly as you gain muscle and lose fat, but your weight doe not need to change

Off Road
12-30-2010, 02:06 PM
my point is...

If you want to gain muscle and lose fat, your end goal will be heavier than it is now.

This is not entirely accurate. Your maintenance will move up slightly as you gain muscle and lose fat, but your weight doe not need to change

We are basically saying the same thing, we are just getting there using different routes. You adjust calories as maintenance grows, and I am adjusting maintenance to afford the new growth.