PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training first thing in the morning.

Madison
12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi,
I competitively compete in mountain running and always train first thing in the morning as it is the only time I can!
I do 3 cardio sesions and 3 weights session a week all before breaky as I can't stomach anything before, this seems to wrk for me, I never feel lightheaded or low. However I would really like and need to gain weight...preferably muscle and I'm wondering if doing my weights sessions before breaky is ok? I eat a large protein and carb meal post workout and eat a large dinner and dessert the night before!
What are your thoughts?

colinS3
12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Well as a runner myself I can say that cardio (especially running if that's the type of cardio you're doing) burns away muscle. You still get stronger but there's less muscle and it's more condensed, so it takes a long time to gain weight unless you really pound down the food. I think you're still fine training before breakfast though. If you really want to gain more weight just start eating even more food and you should see some results. Also, I've read that drinking a lot of milk (skim or whole) is one of the easiest ways to put on some pounds.

The other members will be able to help you out a lot more than I can as I'm pretty inexperienced in the bulking/cutting realm. I hope this was somewhat helpful though!

Kiff
12-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi,
I competitively compete in mountain running and always train first thing in the morning as it is the only time I can!
I do 3 cardio sesions and 3 weights session a week all before breaky as I can't stomach anything before, this seems to wrk for me, I never feel lightheaded or low. However I would really like and need to gain weight...preferably muscle and I'm wondering if doing my weights sessions before breaky is ok? I eat a large protein and carb meal post workout and eat a large dinner and dessert the night before!
What are your thoughts?

It is the calories over your maintenence level that you will need to put muscle on, and the right level of Protein of course.

As you are running 3 times a week you will need to take that into account when working out your calorie intake.

Most people use 16 calories per pound of bodyweight to work out a rough maintenance, some use 14 but your activity levels due to running need to be taken into account.

Eg: 150(LBS) X 16 = 2,400Calories.

Take that, and make sure you record your food. Then add 200 a day if your not 1-2LBSputting on a week or a fortnight depending on how fast you want to bulk up.

As for pre workout meals IMO (This is just from personal experience here i have no idea of the science) it is each to there own. Some guys i know do not eat a thing before working out and swear by it. Others will literally eat a pie in the car 5minutes before squatting. I like to get about 1000Calories in me 90minutes before, but i do believe it is preference.

Post workout nutrition is key tho. But looks like you have that nailed anyway.

Reference http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128601

tom183
12-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Total calories is the big picture. If you're above maintenance you'll gain weight.

Doing your weight training before breakfast is fine if you can handle it. For me personally its not preferred. I would train before breakfast if that's all my schedule would allow and I'm sure that, in time, I'd get accustomed to it but for the time being I find that my workouts are much better done later on in the day when I have some fuel in the tank.

Only way to know is to try it.

f=ma
01-01-2011, 11:01 AM
anecdotally, there are some people that successfully train IF style on an empty stomach, you can too. toms right on, overall daily cals is what counts.

if you're not gaining weight, you need to eat more.

Raleighwood
01-01-2011, 04:18 PM
What these guys have said is good.

I'd also like to add that training shortly after waking up can be a little riskier for your spine... From what I've read, your spinal discs decompress as you sleep. This creates an increase in fluid between the discs, making it less stable and more likely to injure it if you do heavy lifting with a flexed spine.

Some ways to mitigate this are proper warm ups for your back. Training later in the day. Or to use lifts that don't stress the back as much (e.g. front squat instead of back squat, sumo dl instead of conventional)

With all that said, i often train within about an hour of waking up and haven't really noticed it being a problem. Just lift safely and listen to your body.