PDA

View Full Version : Kcal's and calories. The difference?

Jonathan E
12-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm a bit confused on the concept of maintaince weight. To reach 235 lbs at 10% bf, you need roughly 3760 kcal a day and you adjust your protein,carb, and fat intake accordingly. My question is were do calories come in? As long as you hit the protein,carb,and fat intake neccessary does calorie counting even matter? Or should you be aimimg at 3760 calories a day?

RichMcGuire
12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm a bit confused on the concept of maintaince weight. To reach 235 lbs at 10% bf, you need roughly 3760 kcal a day and you adjust your protein,carb, and fat intake accordingly. My question is were do calories come in? As long as you hit the protein,carb,and fat intake neccessary does calorie counting even matter? Or should you be aimimg at 3760 calories a day?

No, kcals would not matter as long as your macro nutrients are set. This is because if your macro ratios are appropriate, they would add up to the required kcals if you converted them to kcals and did the math. Setting food based on macro nutrients is sometimes better and more accurate..especially for body composition. For example, if someone told you to just eat 3760 kcals a day to maintain your weight, and you consumed most of your kcals from sugar drinks like rootbeer, you would probably lose muscle because of a lack of protein.

So by aiming for you macros, you WILL be hitting your kcal goals at the same time if done correctly :)

Jonathan E
12-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Ah that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying that up.