PDA

View Full Version : why am i always hungry?

mick_dundee
05-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to gain weight. But everything I do, I cant seem to weigh more than 164 pounds.
I've always been athletic and fast. Ive been bulking up and gained 10 pounds this semester in college for the first time, but I'm finding it hard to gain more.
I eat 6 meals a day. I usually get around 180 grams of protein. I have seen so much stuff on protein, but I don't know what the magical formula should be.
Anyhow, I'm always hungry. My metobalism is mean, lean and craving. I can eat everything and hardly gain a pinch of weight.

My question is, after I have consumed the protein for each meal (I average 30 grams per meal), can I eat carbs throughout the day as I wish? (like wheat bread, oatmeal, fruit)?
I get so hungry, even at 6 meals a day. It's ridiculous. Only 30 minutes after Ive eaten a meal worth 30 grams of protein and 400 calories, I'm hungry enough to polish off another! I look at food and want to be eating it. The body loves food. It just dosn't like to store it.

I'm 21 and about 5, 10. Is it normal to have such a fast matabolism, and to always be hungry?
I can starve myself to 3 meals a day ( I used to before I started the 'high protein, 6 meals a day' diet this year), however, I don't tend to make any real muscle gains. They stay small and ripped. But not big.
What else can I do? By taking more carbs with my meals, will this help?
Another problem is, I can't really afford 6 meals a day unfortunately. Any clever or quick ways you can recommend to put on weight faster? I take protein supplements, multi vitamins, etc.

For a long time Ive had a problem of never being able to weigh more than 150 - 154 pounds, give or take.
It's like I can't lose weight and I certainly can't gain it.

That's when I came across the 'body for life' book and program a friend introduced me to.
I'm over in the US studying now in college and Ive finally found the time and way to gain weight.
So far Ive gained 8 pounds in 11 weeks, and ive been taking about 180 - 200 grams of protein a day. I now weight 164 pounds.

Now, I need all the tips and advice I can get. I want to gain at least another 16 pounds. By the end of the year, 180 pounds is my goal. I would love to weight that, I am very strong, but I just havnt seen the weight increase until these past 11 weeks.

Any tips and ideas? If I want to gain another 16 - 20 pounds over the next 7 months, so I can play rugby back home.

Your opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks mates,

Mick.

(always, always hungry)

WilliamX
05-16-2002, 05:20 PM
haha, i'm about your weight right now=165. my metabolism is exactly like yours, i'm 22 5-11. 3 months ago i was 195. I think mostly fat but it wasnt all in my stomach and definately made me look bigger and i was stronger.

I went to 195 from 145 in about 7 months,Lost my job sept 11. Moved back in with my parents, ate 6-7 meals a day+vits+ creatine(made me gain weight too) ate ALOT, slept ALOT. Got really BIG and STRONG. I really had not expected to get that big.
There's always a way around your metabolism, eat more, more , more.
Well, but i lost all that weight 2 months after i went back to my usual 3 meals a day. I think only one way to keep the wight is to keep eating 6 meals a day and eating a lot which isnt possible sometimes. If you have fast metabolism you arent meant to be fat. I can gain weight temporarily but as soon as you go off your diet you'll lose it

But im happy, i can eat junk food, candy, fruits, cakes all day and not get fat. Some people cant. Being on a diet for 6 moth really made me junk food addict

Behemoth
05-16-2002, 07:39 PM
150-180 grams of protein a day is why your not gaining. I'm a 150lb 15 year old dieting and consume about that much. You need to be eating like 250+grams a day and make sure to throw a good amount of carbs in there too. Don't forgot to eat post workout, lots of protein and carbs.

BCC
05-16-2002, 08:19 PM
Yeah..you definately need to bump up your protein. I'm dieting for a contest and I'm taking in 350+ grams of protein a day. And if your metabolism is like you say, there's no reason why you shouldn't be pigging out on carbs.

Wizard
05-17-2002, 01:03 AM
Are you serious?

vman
05-17-2002, 02:46 AM
I know exactly where you are coming from.

I too have a crazily fast metabolism, like William X says it is really cool being able to eat loads of sweets...cakes and junk food. Very good at times...I eat like a right fat ass at times :D

I too have big problems gaining any weight at all. Over the christmas holidays i was eating literally all the time...9000 calories at times.

Unfortunately i am always variying my diet to see what works....that and i have no idea.

stayed exactly the same as i am now.

6ft2..150lbs...14% bodyfat...skinny but still suprisingly solid ?!? if you know what i mean

and like you I am always hungry, even if i eat slower and chew all the food to fill my stomach...doesnt help.

but unfortunately im banned ( by my doctor ) from all training at the moment.

Thanks again Hulk ( daniel ) if you are reading...cant wait to get started dude...thanks again for all the help

HumanV
05-17-2002, 07:27 AM
You are a raging type A, with fast twitch muscle fibers and a body somatotype that is not conducive to weight gain. I believe it is classified as an ectomorph. Endomorphs gain easily. Mesomorphs are prone to get fat. So.....it is difficult to gain weight. It takes more time, a carefully planned out lifting program, and the right diet. I was like you when I was your age. No way I could gain..no matter how much I ate. But, keep after it....do compound lifts. Squats for legs, bench for chest. While you are getting enough protein, don't ignore carbs....they are very important to muscle growth and regeneration. If my carb intake falls too low...I get very hungry and shaky. Make damn sure you get enough recovery time between lifts on specific body parts. (at least 4 days) Stay with it....over time, you will make progress, but your body make-up will not allow people like us to make gains like ectomorphs. Just ain't in the cards.

Tiare
05-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Whats your breakdown on c/p/f? All I've seen is talk about protein but you need all three components and you need to increase your caloric intake.

I think body for life pushes for a 40/40/20 split which is pretty good, but if you are having trouble upping the weight try a 35/35/30 split with an extra 1000 calories a day (since you are already hungry, your body clearly wants more calories!). I've also found that for a lot of my friends like you changing diets every 3-6 months helps a lot (quality diets, just different).

Fortunately, I'm right between a mesomorph and an endomorph so when I'm lifting, I gain muscle fast and when I'm not, I gain fat fast.

davetha1
05-17-2002, 09:17 AM
BCC: How the hell do you get 350+ g of protein per day??? When i get like 200g i'm pleased..

TheScorpionKing
05-17-2002, 09:45 AM
might wanna get checked for a tape worm.

it lives inside your body, and basically eats your digested food, so no matter how much you eat you will never gain any weight.

Wizard
05-17-2002, 10:02 AM
that's very very rare but it's also vey harmful

TheScorpionKing
05-17-2002, 10:42 AM
yeah, dude, its harmful, thats why he should go see a doctor about it

Accipiter
05-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by mick_dundee
Hi,
I'm trying to gain weight. But everything I do, I cant seem to weigh more than 164 pounds.
I've always been athletic and fast. Ive been bulking up and gained 10 pounds this semester in college for the first time, but I'm finding it hard to gain more.
I eat 6 meals a day. I usually get around 180 grams of protein. I have seen so much stuff on protein, but I don't know what the magical formula should be.
Anyhow, I'm always hungry. My metobalism is mean, lean and craving. I can eat everything and hardly gain a pinch of weight.

My question is, after I have consumed the protein for each meal (I average 30 grams per meal), can I eat carbs throughout the day as I wish? (like wheat bread, oatmeal, fruit)?
I get so hungry, even at 6 meals a day. It's ridiculous. Only 30 minutes after Ive eaten a meal worth 30 grams of protein and 400 calories, I'm hungry enough to polish off another! I look at food and want to be eating it. The body loves food. It just dosn't like to store it.

I'm 21 and about 5, 10. Is it normal to have such a fast matabolism, and to always be hungry?
I can starve myself to 3 meals a day ( I used to before I started the 'high protein, 6 meals a day' diet this year), however, I don't tend to make any real muscle gains. They stay small and ripped. But not big.
What else can I do? By taking more carbs with my meals, will this help?
Another problem is, I can't really afford 6 meals a day unfortunately. Any clever or quick ways you can recommend to put on weight faster? I take protein supplements, multi vitamins, etc.

For a long time Ive had a problem of never being able to weigh more than 150 - 154 pounds, give or take.
It's like I can't lose weight and I certainly can't gain it.

That's when I came across the 'body for life' book and program a friend introduced me to.
I'm over in the US studying now in college and Ive finally found the time and way to gain weight.
So far Ive gained 8 pounds in 11 weeks, and ive been taking about 180 - 200 grams of protein a day. I now weight 164 pounds.

Now, I need all the tips and advice I can get. I want to gain at least another 16 pounds. By the end of the year, 180 pounds is my goal. I would love to weight that, I am very strong, but I just havnt seen the weight increase until these past 11 weeks.

Any tips and ideas? If I want to gain another 16 - 20 pounds over the next 7 months, so I can play rugby back home.

Your opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks mates,

Mick.

(always, always hungry)

Dude, this is so creepy. I'm 5 10, 165, 20 years old, can't gain more weight, want to hit 180 by the end of the year, eat about 6 times a day, I'm always freakin starved, and get about 30 grams of protein per year. If you find any ways, drop me a line...I'm experimenting right now, eating more peanut butter and such with my meals.

mick_dundee
05-17-2002, 01:59 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the replies I got. Theres alot of 'food for thought', if you pardon the cliche!
I think the fact is, I just don't eat enough protein consistently. Fact is,I would love to, but I just can't afford to. I'm chewing through $100 of quality food (chicken, meat, protein shakes, vege's, fruit) and I'm barely holding my weight, rather than gaining. I always say to my buddies, that If I was a millionaire, I could gain like the hollywood stars to do to buff up. (this next part of the message should warrant an entirely new thread):
I do just as much gym work as they probably do, read and get expert advice from people as good as their 'coaches'. Remember Edward Norton for the movie American History X . He was a very small man before he bulked up. Same thing with Will Smith For Ali. Their secret? They eat more, they eat the same diet regulary and they eat quality - all the time, until they have gained the weight desired. They don't skip a meal. They stick to the pattern of 6 meals a day(maybe 7) and usually eat every 2- 3 hours. And they must spend a fortune on the stuff. If I had the money, I would too!
Now I wish I could eat the best and eat that often, but my funds just can't handle it, while I'm in college.
Anyway, theres something to think about. It's not cheap getting big when you a lean dude. It's amazing how much it cost's to get a big body for a guy like me. If I could put a figure on all the extra supplements and food Ive eaten - well, lets just say, its too large for me to want to calculate. Heck , it's only stuff you put into your body for 'weight gain'. Gosh, scary. It's like stocks. They either go up or down. If they go up, you win. You feel all the money you invested was worth it. (like if your trying to bulk and it works) and yet if it goes down.. well.. you feel like a clown. haha
Tell me what you think.

Thanks mates,
Hooroo.

Mick.

F40
05-17-2002, 02:30 PM
THIS GETS CREEPIER - I have a similar problem - cannot propel myself beyond 165lbs too easily . ( i have a really small frame and bones and around 9% bf so I feel I'm doing OK but its still lame compared to most of the guys on this board.)

I EAT ALL FU*KING DAY - I'm serious. One of my friends recently told me that all he ever saw me do was eat and nothing seems to be happenig to my physique.
If what you're eating is vast but you're not gaining then the lesson to be learned is simple - EAT EVEN MORE.
I suggest you increase you recuperation times between workouts and cut all CV work for now, whilst sticking to the major compound movements. Less is more in the gym so perhaps your training is letting you down - increase the pundage (don't lose the form, reduce the reps and train like a freak).

A fast metabolism + lots of sport all day makes it hard to gain weight even if you are eating like an animal all day. So cut all activities that soak up lots of calories.

To gain muscular wieght the requirements for your diet are failry simple:

Calorie surplus + protein surplus.

Increase the protein (not sure about increasing to quite the levels being recommended by some people here but agree with the jist of what they're saying) and get that calorie surplus and you'll do it.

And no mate - I agree with ya - getting big is NOT cheap for people like you and me.

Joey G.
05-17-2002, 02:37 PM
When you are eating is it all real food? Are you using protein shakes in your diet? If not, you might want to try one. Wouldn't hurt.

mick_dundee
05-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Seems, there are lot of guys on this board with the same 'creepy' stats. Maybe it is a lesson to be learnt - are we simply trying to fight nature at her own game? Surely, we are trying to do something 'unnatural'.
The irony is - there are many many obese people in the world who would do anything for a motablism like ours, yet we try to spend loads of money to 'change the codes' of our metobalism, to 're-invent' our bodies.
I know this dosn't mean much (I want to gain, even though I know in the back of my mind, that it will be a 'slow' journey), but the point is - is it safe to turning against our natural body types?
I wonder what studies exist to show the effect of large amounts of protein on smaller bodies, that don't necessarily use the protein, but get rid of it through their urine. It's probably been debated a million times.

Interesting though.

Now, I feel like eating a pop tart. Any probs? Its 400 calories, 75 grams of carbs and 25 grams of fat. Well, it won't show up, and maybe it's not good for you... But it's cheap. And maybe it will help 'gain' some more.

Mick.

smalls
05-17-2002, 03:13 PM
You dont need supplement to gain weight, nor do you need "special tricks." You dont need to experiment with interesting new eating styles, and really you dont need to spend THAT much money. It can get costly but certain foods are pretty cheep.
Getting a certain amount of protein will not make you gain weight either.

Eating more calories than you burn will result in weight gain. EVERYONE can gain weight (as long as you dont have a wasting disease or such). It is just much harder for people like you (and me) to do so.
You are right that you have to eat a certain amount of food consistently. Just find out how may cals you need to gain, then eat it everyday. When i bulk, I am uncomfortably full all day long, I do not want to eat any more, but I do.

It can get expensive but here are some cheep foods that will help you put on weight. (this should be bought at a bulk store if possible.)

Brown rice- probably the cheepest carb source ever.
oatmeal-Very very cheap
Bananas- pretty cheap
apples
Milk (good for lots of cals)
Eggs
Tuna
Chicken
PB (easy to get tons of cals)

These are just some things i can think of right now. Just eat and grow. You can do it. Good luck.

Edit: Yes, it is unnatural and going against your body to put on large amounts of weight or muscle, but it has never been shown to have a negative effect on you. Also my ***** yoda has something to say "do or do not, there is no try".
Also, sorry if this post sounds like, " you must do it this way or you have to be like me or something. "
Im just trying to help. I have been there. I started lifting at 6'1" and 145lb when i got to 160 (after a long time of knowing nothing) i thought i could never gain more weight. I just had to count calories and continue to increase until you gain. Also you want to limit cardio if you have hard time gaining wieght. Anyway, as long as you want it bad enough you CAN do it.

F40
05-18-2002, 05:00 AM
"Eating more calories than you burn will result in weight gain" (SMALLS)

:nod: :nod: :nod:

And thats the bottom line. How you train and WHAT you eat will determine what type of weight you will gain.

Would it be unnatural if you were a labourer on a building site hoisting heavy weights ALL THE TIME whilst eating lots of meat etc etc etc......

No. It would be perfectly natural.......

So don't worry about it mate...

=w=
05-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by mick_dundee
Only 30 minutes after Ive eaten a meal worth 30 grams of protein and 400 calories, I'm hungry enough to polish off another!

I'll be honest I did not read all the replies to this thread so maybe this has already been addressed but the reason you are always hungry and not gaining weight is because you are eating practicaly nothing. 6 meals * 400 calories = 2400 calories per day. Using the 15xBW formula to get an estimate of maintanance calories you are below maintanance (and this is supposed to be a diet to put on weight?). You dont have a raging metabolism - you just dont eat enough.