PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 for powerlifting .........

xolix
01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
is there a date when its come out ? ready written was it in the middle of october , in process of editing on early december ... i , i can't wait no more !!!!

Travis Bell
01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Isn't the original program written for powerlifting?

nickp8
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Isn't the original program written for powerlifting?

No, he aimed it at raw lifters in general, not specifically ones that compete. The 5/3/1 for Powerlifters is supposed to have guidelines for peaking for a meet and some other things.

pricedtosell
01-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure 5/3/1 for powerlifters is just the version of 5/3/1 that Rhodes came up with a while ago and put in an article on EFS. The changes were that the weeks are switched to 3/5/1, you aren't supposed to go for AMRAP on any of the weeks and on the first and third weeks, you do two singles after your last work set at about 90%. They're not supposed to be max singles, just singles above 90% and you're never supposed to fail on any of them.

There might be more changes in the book, but I think those are the major ones.

Cmanuel
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Wendler's log post here http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=130005&tid=63 is the last I've heard as far as an update on the book.

Here is the table of contents for the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book...

* A Declaration
* 5/3/1 Training
* 5/3/1 for Powerlifting: An Overview
* Off Season Training
* Pre Meet Training
* Meet Prep Training
* N.O.V Powerlifting
* Training for the Non Competitive Powerlifter
* Old Man Winter: Training for Mr. Gray Pubes
* Assistance Work
* To Pause or Not to Pause- The Bench Press
* Using Knee Wraps
* Box Squats vs. Free Squats
* Choosing a Shoe
* Squatting in Gear
* Benching in a Shirt
* Deadlifting in a Suit
* Rich T. Baggins Squat Cycle
* Circa Max Training
* Your First Powerlifting Meet
* Meet Checklist

pricedtosell
01-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I kind've wonder why he's even writing this book. I always see him talking about how much he didn't like the "marathon training sessions" when wearing gear, or box squats, bands/chains, placing powerlifting numbers above being in shape, etc. The first 5/3/1 book was pretty much perfect for what the program's designed for. It doesn't seem like it would be as applicable for heavy singles/powerlifting meets and especially for training in gear, I could be way off though.

I really just think 5/3/1's perfect as is and if he's going to change it that much, it's not really 5/3/1 anymore and you might as well just do a program that was created with powerlifting in mind to begin with. I'm not sure how he could could suggest following anything but westside for powerlifting (especially geared)considering the kind've results he got training there, but that's a different discussion I guess (and one that would inevitably end in someone telling me not to talk about westside unless I have trained there).

Cmanuel
01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I kind've wonder why he's even writing this book.

Considering how popular 5/3/1 was for EFS, and considering just how much damn $$$ E-books make, I'm willing to bet part of it is pressure from tate/EFS.

Good points, though.

JK1
01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
We've had lifters make great gains on 5/3/1... it works really well for building raw base strength. We have had some problems with my wife with the transition from raw back to equipment ( single ply equipment) using 5/3/1, what Rhodes wrote (3/5/1), and a specialized program that Al Caslow helped us with for meet prep. Ultimately we went back to a basic westside template.

I'm interested to see if Wendler is able to answer some of the questions we had/address some of the problems we had with that transition with this book.