PDA

View Full Version : Cutting. How much cardio do I have to do?

Genco
01-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Hello,

I tried to search before I open this topic but somehow I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. My question will be fairly easy.

I just started to follow Wannabebig Routine I ( http://www.wannabebig.com/training/routines-and-programs/wannabebig-the-original-routine/ ). My goal is to tone up and lose 10 to 15 lbs of fat in 2 months. I don't mind doing cardio. I can do running or can do elliptical cardio machine for 45 minutes.

But my question is that what I should do and how often should I do it? My routine tells me to do train 4 times a week. Should I do cardio on the days I train with weight? If yes, should I do before the weight training or after the weight training and how long cardio should I do it and how many times should I do it in a week?

Thanks in advance who would like to answer my question.

tom183
01-04-2011, 03:21 AM
But my question is that what I should do and how often should I do it?

You should focus on your diet more than the hows/wheres/whens of cardio.

Are you counting calories? Do you know your maintenance?

Clone
01-04-2011, 06:04 AM

Agree 100%

Clean up your diet and eat less calories and you won't need cardio.

In the past I've gone from 10% bodyfat to about 6% with diet alone. No added cardio.

Off Road
01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
If you do cardio, do it after your lifting or well before your lifting. Don't do it right before you lift.

Codeguru
01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Hello,

I tried to search before I open this topic but somehow I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. My question will be fairly easy.

I just started to follow Wannabebig Routine I ( http://www.wannabebig.com/training/routines-and-programs/wannabebig-the-original-routine/ ). My goal is to tone up and lose 10 to 15 lbs of fat in 2 months. I don't mind doing cardio. I can do running or can do elliptical cardio machine for 45 minutes.

But my question is that what I should do and how often should I do it? My routine tells me to do train 4 times a week. Should I do cardio on the days I train with weight? If yes, should I do before the weight training or after the weight training and how long cardio should I do it and how many times should I do it in a week?

Do a lot of interval training I say. I just started up on that, loses fat like you wouldn't believe in the shortest amount of time. I'd say 30 minutes of that a day, with a rest day, would put you up in the highest level of cardio activity even though that's only 3 hours a week. I do it about that much now and I'm feeling the benefits beyond what I was getting walking outside everyday for 40 minutes, then coming inside and doing cardio for more. As for when, anytime you have the energy I guess, which will be way more often when you start doing it. Though I would not want to do exhausting cardio directly before lifting. For me it seems to reduce reps...

Codeguru

LuNa
01-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Do a lot of interval training I say. I just started up on that, loses fat like you wouldn't believe in the shortest amount of time. I'd say 30 minutes of that a day, with a rest day, would put you up in the highest level of cardio activity even though that's only 3 hours a week. I do it about that much now and I'm feeling the benefits beyond what I was getting walking outside everyday for 40 minutes, then coming inside and doing cardio for more. As for when, anytime you have the energy I guess, which will be way more often when you start doing it. Though I would not want to do exhausting cardio directly before lifting. For me it seems to reduce reps...

Codeguru

6 days of Interval training done at intensity next to his 4 days of lifting, would lead to overtraining in my opinion.

As the rest stated before, focus on diet first and add some cardio in to help with your calorie deficit. Dont overdo it as it can impact on your recovery, especially when lifting heavy 4 days a week.

Behemoth
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Hello,

What the others have said.

Unless what you're eating is already very close to what you should be eating to lose weight, the cardio isn't going to do a whole lot. Unless of course in massive quantities. Give us some information on your diet and we'll see how that's looking.

In general for the cardio, I prefer to start slower and lighter and work up in duration and intensity. Though I'm breaking my own rule right now starting long and medium intensity myself, but this is for the reason that my cut will be relatively brief and don't need the extra weapons to strike later.

Yes.

Agree 100%

Clean up your diet and eat less calories and you won't need cardio.

In the past I've gone from 10% bodyfat to about 6% with diet alone. No added cardio.

Agreed. Pretty much any conditioning can be acquired with diet alone for most anybody. Like Clone said, nail the diet down then work in some cardio and find a good level for yourself.

If you do cardio, do it after your lifting or well before your lifting. Don't do it right before you lift.

:withstupi:

Codeguru
I agree that very high intensity interval training is some awesome stuff in abolishing bodyfat. But would not reccomend starting off with a lot of it. A full out 25 minute session with about 10 sprints will tire me like an hour and 15 minute heavy workout. I especially like it when things seem to slow down a little. I'd reccommend that the OP do no more than 1 HIIT session a week if he wants to start with some. And to make it on an off day.

6 days of Interval training done at intensity next to his 4 days of lifting, would lead to overtraining in my opinion.

As the rest stated before, focus on diet first and add some cardio in to help with your calorie deficit. Dont overdo it as it can impact on your recovery, especially when lifting heavy 4 days a week.

I agree, 6 days of HIIT is a huge mistake for ANYBODY but the absolute best conditioned athletes.

Dan Fanelli
01-04-2011, 08:45 AM
What were you doing before you started this, if anything?

What is your current weight/BF%?

Genco
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
What were you doing before you started this, if anything?

What is your current weight/BF%?

I wasn't doing anything. I stopped going to gym for a year or so. Went to Europe and ate a lot of delicious foods, and gained weight :)

I'm 6'0 and 188 lbs right now but I have a belly, I know for sure that I have at least, 10 lbs fat right now especially belly area. So my ideal weight should be between 175-180. Therefore, I would like to lose at least 10 lbs to 15 lbs body fat as soon as possible.

I didn't measure my body fat % but I can assure you that it's not lower than %15 to %18 as of right now.

Thats why I would like to do cardio and lose it as soon as possible because I used to play a lot of sports, cardio isn't much a big deal for me.

Genco
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Codeguru

Interval means?

Elliptical cardio machines have intervals too. Should I be doing that or should I do it on the treadmill? I believe when you do intervals on treadmill, you can run 2 minutes and walk in slower pace for 2 mins for around 30 minutes? Is that what you mean?

Codeguru
01-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Interval means?

Elliptical cardio machines have intervals too. Should I be doing that or should I do it on the treadmill? I believe when you do intervals on treadmill, you can run 2 minutes and walk in slower pace for 2 mins for around 30 minutes? Is that what you mean?

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, I dunno. I mean like doing multiple types of exercise without much rest. Like 75 jumping jacks, 60 mountain climbers, 30 lunges, 30 good pushups, 25 squat thrusts, 30 seconds of side planking both sides, stuff like that, all in a row. Then maybe 30-45 seconds rest, and pick 5-6 more exercises to do. And I keep doing that for about 20-30 minutes. I just know I've been getting great results from it and other people I've looked at doing this type of thing call it interval training. For me it's made pretty much every other type of cardio exercise seem childish in comparison. Any type of activity that I get to rest after everything I do is so much easier now...

Codeguru

Clone
01-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe I'm using the wrong term, I dunno. I mean like doing multiple types of exercise without much rest. Like 75 jumping jacks, 60 mountain climbers, 30 lunges, 30 good pushups, 25 squat thrusts, 30 seconds of side planking both sides, stuff like that, all in a row. Then maybe 30-45 seconds rest, and pick 5-6 more exercises to do. And I keep doing that for about 20-30 minutes. I just know I've been getting great results from it and other people I've looked at doing this type of thing call it interval training. For me it's made pretty much every other type of cardio exercise seem childish in comparison. Any type of activity that I get to rest after everything I do is so much easier now...

Codeguru

Thats more of a circuit in my opinion. But very effective for burning fat, yes.

Intervals are like jogging for 30sec, then sprinting all out for 20 sec, then jogging for 30sec, then repeat. For short durations like 15-30 mins max.

You can use different times of active recovery and all out effort.

Genco
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Thats more of a circuit in my opinion. But very effective for burning fat, yes.

Intervals are like jogging for 30sec, then sprinting all out for 20 sec, then jogging for 30sec, then repeat. For short durations like 15-30 mins max.

You can use different times of active recovery and all out effort.

I understand but this is gonna be pretty much complex when trying to do on treadmill.

Basically other than running, I have to set the setting every other minute. :)

Sprint to 8.0, then fast walking to 3.5. And I have to do set the setting every minute for 30 minutes? Haha. It seems more like playing with settings on treadmill than running :)

Clone
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
I understand but this is gonna be pretty much complex when trying to do on treadmill.

Basically other than running, I have to set the setting every other minute. :)

Sprint to 8.0, then fast walking to 3.5. And I have to do set the setting every minute for 30 minutes? Haha. It seems more like playing with settings on treadmill than running :)

Some treadmills have an interval setting.

Or venture outside and do it. Ride a bike, row a boat, pull a tire. Intervals work with almost anything.

Dan Fanelli
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Cardio isn't the answer. Just start eating right and lift weights. You can add a bit of cardio in as well, but it's a minor detail

Songsangnim
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Cardio isn't the answer. Just start eating right and lift weights. You can add a bit of cardio in as well, but it's a minor detail

Agreed. All the cardio and exercise one can do won't make much difference if the diet is not on track.

Parker 1995
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Interval means?

Depends how conditioned are u? I doo sprints for 15 seconds then jog 45 seconds on highest incline then i repeat for 10 minutes... You can set your treadmill up for this.

Behemoth
01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
I never understood HIIT on a treadmill. When I do my sprints I'm flailing about so violently a treadmill would eat me a alive and spit me out into the wall behind me by the second set. Also it's not responsive enough to go from walk/jog to balls out sprint. And really, balls out sprint is never going to be exactly X.X mph... if I'm a little more tired and I set it for 15.5mph (honestly have no clue what I sprint at because I've never done it on a treadmill, so that number is just out of thin air) I may actually only be able to sprint at 15.3... in which case I'm going to get buried. You can't really reach out and safely toy with the speed to match your ability in that situation either.

Furthermore, once I'm a few sprints in I definetly start to run slower in not only my final sets, but also the final distances of each sprint... On pavement thats no big deal, I can still give 100% effort at a slowing speed and get more out of y workout. Whereas on a treadmill I either have to start conservative or end early.

Genco
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM

I understand that our diet should be very strict.

But cardio doesn't even work at all? So, lets say I work out 4 times a week. After my workout, if I go and do cardio for half an hour, it wouldn't make me lose fat quickier? If not, what happens all the burned calories while doing cardio? Where do they go?

Dan Fanelli
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM

But cardio doesn't even work at all? So, lets say I work out 4 times a week. After my workout, if I go and do cardio for half an hour, it wouldn't make me lose fat quickier? If not, what happens all the burned calories while doing cardio? Where do they go?

The average 30 minute workout on a treadmill is going to burn a max of about 300 calories. This is NOTHING. Not to mention not all of those calories are going to come from fat. There ARE some benefits to cardio that go deeper than calorie expenditure, but these benefits can be achieved through weight training.

Some people will get the body THEY want with just cardio. Others, it will be pretty beneficial. And others, will get absolutely nothing out of it, and it may even be detrimental. IMO a beginner has no business doing cardio for 'burning fat'. If its to develop an aerobic base, because you've been sedentary, that might be a different story. But if you aren't completely out of shape, just start eating better and follow a good strength program. You'll build muscle and lose fat pretty quickly if you are eating right. THEN, later on, if you need to do some cardio for that extra little bit of fat loss, go for it.

Just my opinions, and observations. The more cardio people do, the less they look like they work out. The more weights people lift, the more they look like they work out...

Dan Fanelli
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Oh, and diet doesn't need to be 'very strict'. It just needs to be appropriate for your goals.

austin.j.taylor
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Hitting your caloric needs is far more important than doing cardio. I rarely do cardio and i am down about 50 pounds in the last 18 months. I do however do a fair amount of GPP. I find GPP far more useful to my training style, as it doesnt interfere with my strength goals.

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 08:00 AM
It depends on results and what you want, I love light cardio, however other people hate cardio and to prevent doing cardio even rule out substances like tomatoe sauce!

blackmetal
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
I've been struggling with this concept of cutting for the past two years. I'm now starting on a cut, and looking for more information to actually make progress. Two years ago I did a cut by weightlifting 3 times a week, and also doing cardio 3 times a week. I didn't eat much and lost 7 pounds of fat and also 7 pounds of muscle. Last year I decided to not starve myself, and I made sure to eat more protein everyday overall in comparison to the year before. I lost 5 pounds of both.

This fall I did Chase Karne's leg training program and gained all my weight loss back, and hit personal records on squat and deadlift (not bench press mind you). I now want to cut off the fat I gained from the holidays and doing that program. I understand that cardio is a substitute for eating more, but cardio does help elevate your heartrate, improve your lung capacity, and strengthen your heart for sports; so it is important during a sporting season or off-season to get you ready for the new season. On the other side of things I don't understand how if you eat less instead of doing cardio how you can lose fat. Doesn't your body go into starvation mode if you ate 400 less calories instead of doing cardio that would burn that amount? Doesn't your metabolism slow down if you eat less throughout the day, so that in the end, no matter what you do, you get the same results?

Will

Codeguru
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, anyway, using circuit training cardio I am now seeing that I can actively control my weight whenever I feel like bulking or cutting and I am starting to notice a LOT more tone all over my body. It doesn't cut into my lifting schedule, it takes less time than traditional cardio that I used to do, and comes with more results. Might be worth looking into...

Codeguru

Dan Fanelli
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
It depends on results and what you want, I love light cardio, however other people hate cardio and to prevent doing cardio even rule out substances like tomatoe sauce!

Please elaborate on this.

Behemoth
01-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Please elaborate on this.

I'm still trying to figure out if he's guys a spammer or not...