PDA

View Full Version : Question about Conjugate Method

BigJay007
01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I am working on revamping my training and I want to start using the conjugate method to prepare for my first powerlifting meet but I have a couple of questions:

What can I do for GPP if I do not have access to a sled or a Prowler?
How do I alternate between squats and deadlifts?
How long should I use the conjugate method to prepare?

Thanks in advance for the help!

AdamBAG
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
First, I do not believe there is a better article written on using the conjugate system (or at least the way Louie Simmons does) than this article written by Dave Tate. Almost all questions can be answered in this article.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/iron-brothers/articles/training-articles/efs-classic-the-eight-keys-a-complete-guide-to-maximal-strength-development/

GPP can be any type of conditioning work. Walk, jog, run, barbell complexes, elliptical machine etc. as long as it doesn't detract from your lifting.

BloodandThunder
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
I agree with Adam, print out the Eight Keys article and memorize it lol. The basics work, plain and simple.

Write out a plan and stick with it. It's your first meet, so just get a total in and learn from what you did. Emphasize form and technique work to get over the jitters when you hit the platform. Not worrying about form and depth will allow you to focus on other things when you take that first attempt. Don't fret week to week, just stick to the plan. Include a proper taper and deload at the end of the cycle. Maybe work in four week blocks. I'd run with this for several blocks. Conjugate method isn't something you just run for 4 weeks per say.

I'd recommend slowly working your GPP up to find a maintenance amount of GPP that you can do each week (microcycle) that won't detract from strength gain. After a meet, raise this amount when your lifting volume lowers. Decrease it when your SPP work increases. Another easy way to get GPP in is to do band rehab the day after. I like to do Pushups, Band pull aparts, and band pushdowns to raise my pec, rear delt, and tricep volume. I do a base amount the day after my upper workouts. Keeps me fresh, builds my working capacity, and my lifts go up.

MarcusWild
01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
You can usually find large, used tires for free. It saves the tire company from having to pay for disposal. They'll cut the sidewall, so it can't be put on a vehicle. Buy some rope from home depot and you have a sled for a few dollars. If it gets too easy to drag, then toss chain, bricks, or weights in it to make it heavier. That or go get a bigger tire.

BigJay007
01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
First, I do not believe there is a better article written on using the conjugate system (or at least the way Louie Simmons does) than this article written by Dave Tate. Almost all questions can be answered in this article.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/iron-brothers/articles/training-articles/efs-classic-the-eight-keys-a-complete-guide-to-maximal-strength-development/

GPP can be any type of conditioning work. Walk, jog, run, barbell complexes, elliptical machine etc. as long as it doesn't detract from your lifting.

I have the article saved as a bookmark and I will read it and learn it and make it my life in lifting.