PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Questions

Roundhead
01-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I am trying to put Daniel Roberts' calorie reccomendations from To Bulk or to Cut... (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/) article into practice. I like the idea of bodybuilding being linear rather than a constant cycle of cutting or bulking, but I have a couple of questions.

For context, I am 6'2" and 194lbs, somewhere around 15%.

My lifetime goal is 220lbs at 10% bodyfat, but I assume I would not do too well immediately eating as if I were at this weight (220x14 or 16)? Would I do better to choose a more realistic short term goal (190lbs at 10% in six months, for example) and fixing calories at that level (190x14 or 16)?

Secondly, is there any benefit to cycling calories using an IF approach? For example, eating 20% over maintenance on workout days and slightly under on rest days, but making sure the weekly totals equal those set out above?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Fanelli
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
1) Ya, its probably best to not set your calories at your end goal right away. Although your end goal is only 20lbs heavier than you are now, which would only be like 300 kcals a day difference. Really that amount isn't going to make a huge difference.

2) In my experience, IF is usefull for lowering caloire intake / hunger. If you are doing daily IF the leangains.com way where you only eat for 8 hours of the day, its very easy to reduce your calorie intake drastically. For your goals it wouldn't be useful. The "high day" / "low day" thing sounds nice on paper, but I dont think it makes enough difference to worry about it. Just have a larger pre/post workout meal on days you workout and that will take care of the difference.

My advice to you: Set your current goal to 210 (dont worry about BF%), and set your eating for that goal. Then once you get to that weight and maintain for 1-2 months, reset everything for 220. Once you get to 220, depending on your BF% you can go down and up to get fat off, or just maintain weight and try to recomp.

Roundhead
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
1) Ya, its probably best to not set your calories at your end goal right away. Although your end goal is only 20lbs heavier than you are now, which would only be like 300 kcals a day difference. Really that amount isn't going to make a huge difference.

2) In my experience, IF is usefull for lowering caloire intake / hunger. If you are doing daily IF the leangains.com way where you only eat for 8 hours of the day, its very easy to reduce your calorie intake drastically. For your goals it wouldn't be useful. The "high day" / "low day" thing sounds nice on paper, but I dont think it makes enough difference to worry about it. Just have a larger pre/post workout meal on days you workout and that will take care of the difference.

My advice to you: Set your current goal to 210 (dont worry about BF%), and set your eating for that goal. Then once you get to that weight and maintain for 1-2 months, reset everything for 220. Once you get to 220, depending on your BF% you can go down and up to get fat off, or just maintain weight and try to recomp.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. Even though my lifelong goal is only 25lbs more than I weight now, I actually need 35lbs lean body mass to get there at 10%, so there is plenty of work to do!

Thanks again.

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 07:58 AM
It depends on your bodytype, if you want to put on serious mass, up your calories to bodyweight x 20, if you start to put on fat, you can lower... However at 15% I would diet until I was around 10%, but thats me