PDA

View Full Version : "other carbohydrate"

Behemoth
05-16-2002, 07:22 PM
When I look at the nutrition facts for a food under carbs quite often it says, fiber - X grams, sugar - X grams, and then it has "other carbohydrate". What are these other carbs?

CBates
05-16-2002, 07:32 PM
Could be glycerol/glycerin..

BCC
05-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Yep, if it's glycerol/glycerin, they will list it as "other carbohydrates" because it doesn't require insulin to metabolize.

MonStar
05-16-2002, 08:12 PM
It could be glycerine. I dont think thats very likely though because glycerine is rarely in normal foods like milk, cheese, breads, etc. I would think that its carbohydrates that are obviously not sugars, or fibers. Like complex carbohydrates, etc.

MS

CBates
05-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah, like MS said, it really depends on what food it is. You'll mostly find glycerol/glycerin in "low carb" protein bars..

Wizard
05-17-2002, 12:28 AM
Other carbohydrates:

Isomalt
A disaccharide polyol, approximately 45-65 percent as sweet as sucrose. It has a caloric value of 2.0 calories per gram.

Lactitol
Sweet-tasting disaccharide polyol derived from lactose. Thirty to 40 percent as sweet as sucrose. It has a caloric value of 2.0 calories per gram.

Maltitol
A disaccharide polyol produced by the hydrogenation of maltose. It occurs widely in nature.About 0.9 times as sweet as sucrose with similar sweetness and body. It has a caloric value of 2.1 calories per gram.

Sorbitol
A monosaccharide polyol approximately 0.5-0.7 times as sweet as sucrose. Excessive consumption (more than 50-80 g/day) may have a laxative effect. It has a caloric value of 3.6 calories per gram.

Xylitol
A monosaccharide polyol derived from fruits and vegetables (e.g., lettuce, carrots, strawberries) and from plants and fibrous vegetation.It has a caloric value of 2.4 calories per gram.

Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysates
A mixture of sorbitol, maltitol and hydrogenated oligosaccharides. Depending on the type of HSH desired the maltitol and sorbitol content can be varied, the sweetness of HSH therefore varies from 25 to 50 percent that of sucrose. It has a caloric value of 3.0 calories per gram.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way,glycerol is a trihydric alcohol found in all fats. Glycerol is a sweet, syrup-like liquid that is made (commercially) during the manufacture of soap by the hydrolysis of fat.
---------------------------------------------

body
05-17-2002, 11:56 AM
any carb contianing more than 3 saccharides? basically than mean oligosaccharides(3-10 saccharide units) and complex carbs(lots of saccahrides)

Do not know your food laws to be sure. its likely to include all the above comments under other carbs but will include basic complex carbs like amylose which is very common.

I think everybody above thinks its a harder question than it is as they missed off complex carbs as they are not sugar or fibre. therfore falling under 'other'.

May be wrong as i do not live in pa(america?).

in chemistry vitamin C is a carbohydrate and all carbs are alcoholic but you can't get drunk off them.

Though just to ocnfuse more is the fibre southgate or englyst or another fibre rating, there are a few out there eg NSP as well.

Behemoth
05-19-2002, 05:33 PM
So is the verdict that they are good or bad?

body
05-20-2002, 04:25 PM
good or bad . well that depends on the question you are asking.