PDA

View Full Version : Question about how to do RE work???

Dan Fanelli
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
I got a few questions about how I perform my assistance work. Im still new with the westside methods, and not sure about the terminology.

But what ive been doing, is going a bit heavier and lower volume on my ME days, and lighter and higher volume no my DE days. But the same exercises.

So on my ME day, I did DB bench after my ME work. I worked up to a heavy set of around 10 reps, and got 90's for 9 reps.

Today was my DE day, and I decided to try for 4x15 with 65's. I though this would be pretty easy. Boy was I wrong. My reps ended up being:

My endurance has always sucked, so im wondering how I should work on this.

I see a few options:

1) Start with even lighter weight or take longer rest breaks so I can get 15 reps on all sets with the same weight.

2) Decrease the weight each set so that I can get 15 reps on all sets.

3) Decrease the reps on each set so that I can use the same weight on all sets.

Also, do you think endurance like this is better trained by avoiding fatigue (stopping way short of failure and taking longer rest breaks), or training with very close to failure and shorter rest breaks, possibly decreasing the weight (drop sets)???

Thanks guys.

-JM-
01-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Simply put, if you are using RE then yes, the reps will typically become less per set as you work to failure. If you are doing DE work then you will be using weight you know you can get for X amount of reps but you will be pushing/pulling with max speed still whilst reinforcing technique but stopping well before failure.

Its really a case of deciding which one you are doing and why.

There are a few e-books available over on EFS that I found really helpful.

-Basic Training Manual
-The Max Effort Method
-Beginner Training Manual

They detail all this kind of stuff. Well worth the investment.

Dan Fanelli
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks justin, I'll look into those.

One other thing I was thinking of doing was going a bit heavier on my accessory work and not really worrying about sets and reps and just doing it. The only thing is, I dont know if I would really know when to progress, or if that even really matters.

NickAus
01-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Just add weight when you can and dont get too caught up in it, use accessory work to build the muscles up.

If the weights are easy for you then add weight, only go to faliure sometimes.

Travis Bell
01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm confused by your post?

Are you trying to do Westside methods as designed by Louie Simmons? If so, you should not be using RE method in place of DE work for benching

For DE work you should be using 45%-60% of your 1 rep max for 8-10 sets of 3 reps with varying close grips

Dan Fanelli
01-05-2011, 09:23 PM
@ Nick Ya, I think im gonna try just picking some weights that feel heavy and lift them. Im gonna try to actually not even count reps or anything, and just do a few sets until I feel like the quality of my reps is going down.

For the lighter DE days, im not sure really how to do it. Maybe i'll do the same thing with lighter weights, or give some drop sets a try.

@ Travis Im not really following Westside exactly, but trying to fairly close. I still do DE work at the beginning of my DE days, and for the most part it has been as written 8x3 with around 50-60% straight weight, or 40-50% with bands.

Im talking more about my "rep work" or whatever you call it. The stuff after my main ME or DE lifts. I probalby should read the book of methods again. But I saw you and others stating that the main difference between the two days, is that ME days are heavier and DE days are lighter. So on ME days ive been building up to 1-2 heavy sets of 8-10 on all my assistance work. On DE days ive been using a weight lighter than on the ME days, but trying to get 4-5x10 on all sets. I dunno, maybe the volume is just getting to me. Maybe I just need to eat more (heh.).

I think i'll just try to not worry so much about the sets, reps, and weight on all my assistance work, and just get the work done.

Thanks guys

AdamBAG
01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I think where the confusion comes in is that you will see people, like Dave Tate, refer to assitance work as using the "repetition effort method." Others would just call this assistance work, but they are referring to the same thing. The normal paramaters of dynamic benching as taught by Lou are still used.

You will see other people, like Joe Defranco's system, that does "RE Method" in place of the dynamic method.

From what I gather, guys like Travis consider "RE work" to be used in place of max effort work occassionally. According to Lou's writings this is usually DB exercises for time or for max reps etc.

So you can see where the confusion comes in...

From your post I think you are talking about the first definition I described. Namely, your assitance work. Don't sweat this too much. You don't have to set PRs on all your assitance work. Just get the work done.

If your three competition lifts are going up then what you are doing is working. If you are hitting PRs on your max effort lifts then your assitance work is working. As you become more experienced you will find what your "indicator" exercises are that aren't the competition lifts. If those are going up then your total is going up too.

Just add weight when you can and dont get too caught up in it, use accessory work to build the muscles up.

If the weights are easy for you then add weight, only go to faliure sometimes.

I agree with this totally.

Dan Fanelli
01-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks adam... I am just got keep hammering away at the ME exercises, and just get the work in on my accessory stuff, not worrying so much about sets/reps/or weight.