PDA

View Full Version : Drop sets?

Dan Fanelli
01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Ive never been a big fan of any of these advanced methods, but Ive never really given them a shot.

Im starting to think of trying drop sets, just because straight weight seems to be burning me out with so much volume.

I know Travis and Tom advocate them sometimes, but Im just wondering more how I should use them and for what? Could I use them in place of 4x10 for DB bench and pullups for ex?

Thx guys.

AdamBAG
01-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Try it! One of the best parts of training is figuring out what works for you and what you enjoy!

Tom Mutaffis
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
In my opinion Drop Sets are one of the most effective training methods for both strength and hypertrophy, and there are a number of ways to implement them into your program.

Heavy Training:
Work up to a heavy rep-max set and then drop down and do a 'back down' set - this is something that Eric Lillibridge talks about quite a bit although I believe that he takes a short break between the ME set and the 'back down' set. I have done these without taking the break as more of a traditional Drop Set and feel that they work well for increasing strength.

Accessory Work:
Later in your workout you may choose to work in some isolation or accessory movements, and to save time it can sometimes be beneficial to simply perform a Drop Set or Giant Set rather than multiple sets.

Hybrid Work:
Similar to how they are applied above, drop sets can be performed for someone who is looking to train with heavy weights (strength) but also mix in a bit more volume (hypertrophy). This can be done by performing 3-5 reps with a given weight and then lowering the weight and performing an additional 3-5 reps or what ever your program calls for.

Volume / Hypertrophy:
Performing set after set will usually lead a trainee to over-training, but drop sets can be used to increase volume for hypertrophy purposes without having a negative impact on recovery. By performing drop sets you can increase the total number of sets and overall repetitions while still keeping your workouts within a reasonable time frame and without putting too much strain on your CNS.

Dan Fanelli
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Volume / Hypertrophy:
Performing set after set will usually lead a trainee to over-training, but drop sets can be used to increase volume for hypertrophy purposes without having a negative impact on recovery. By performing drop sets you can increase the total number of sets and overall repetitions while still keeping your workouts within a reasonable time frame and without putting too much strain on your CNS.

Thanks guys for the responses. Im going to give them a try. The above reason is the main reason why I want to try them. Going with higher volume on my accessory exercises has just gotten unbearable as I progressed in weight.

chevelle2291
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
In my opinion Drop Sets are one of the most effective training methods for both strength and hypertrophy, and there are a number of ways to implement them into your program.

Heavy Training:
Work up to a heavy rep-max set and then drop down and do a 'back down' set - this is something that Eric Lillibridge talks about quite a bit although I believe that he takes a short break between the ME set and the 'back down' set. I have done these without taking the break as more of a traditional Drop Set and feel that they work well for increasing strength.

Dan, this is how I am doing ALL of my training as of right now and I feel that it is working very well. I aim for 4-6 reps for the first set. After completing the first set, I do a back-down set of 10-15 reps. Second set is still heavy, but obviously a lighter weight. So far, I believe it is working very well. However, I think I may try to employ some HCT-12 style RPing instead just to see how that goes.

mchicia1
01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't like them when performed in rapid succession, as in not taking any rest before dropping the weight. I do, however, like what Tom said about his heavy training strategy. Do a heavy 3-4 rep squat set followed by a lighter set of 20 reppers. That I really like.

Off Road
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Do a heavy 3-4 rep squat set followed by a lighter set of 20 reppers. That I really like.
I like that too :)

Brian Hopper
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Try it! One of the best parts of training is figuring out what works for you and what you enjoy!

Well put!!!