PDA

View Full Version : skim milk, or chocolate milk?

cole01
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I was curious, I know that they say chocolate milk after a workout is great. But i was wondering is 0 percent skimmed milk just as good?

4g64fiero
01-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Well that depends. Personally, I dont like commercially made chocalate milk because almost every supplier adds carneegan(sp?) to it to thicken it up. It also can be a harsh laxative when drinking alot of chocalate milk.

Chocolate milk also has more calories than skim. This may or may not be what you are looking for. The extra sugar in chocolate milk isnt really needed. I dont think that is going to have any positive effect in reference to insulin response that the sugar that is already in milk wouldnt already initiate.

Off Road
01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I love chocolate milk...Yummm

StLRPh
01-05-2011, 07:31 PM
if you go the chocolate milk route shop around, some have added sugar and others don't. Another good post workout drink is keifer (yogurt drink)

Dan Fanelli
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't want to drink chocolate milk without the added sugar. The answer to your question is going to depend on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are "bulking" then chocolate milk would probably be better. If you are "cutting" then the skim milk or a whey shake might be better.

BoAnderson71
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I dont think you should be worrying about which kind of milk to drink.

tom183
01-06-2011, 12:26 AM
My vote definitely goes to chocolate milk.

cole01
01-06-2011, 06:00 AM
I dont think you should be worrying about which kind of milk to drink.

im not worried i just try to keep sugar intake low and its just i loooove skim milk

Behemoth
01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
im not worried i just try to keep sugar intake low and its just i loooove skim milk

If you are trying to keep sugar intake low chocolate milk is definetly a poor choice for post workout nutrition then. Why not drink a protein shake and eat some oats?

And why are you trying to keep sugar intake low?

JeffreyXL
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Chocolat milk! Period! More info check http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf

Dan Fanelli
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM

If you loooove skim milk, then just go with skim milk. Its not going to make a life changing difference which you choose. Often, i'll have a whey shake on the way home from the gym (because it doesn't need to stay cold) then get home and have a big glass of milk or chocolate milk.

4g64fiero
01-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Dan, I bring a quart of milk to drink while working out with me and another half gallon stays in my car for afterwards since I go to work right after. The 2 or 3 hours in my car doesnt really affect it. The milk will spoil quicker than milk that has been kept refrigerated but it isnt spoiled yet. It would take a day or two after being left out 3 hours to actually become a little sour.

Just some info.

cole01
01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
If you loooove skim milk, then just go with skim milk. Its not going to make a life changing difference which you choose. Often, i'll have a whey shake on the way home from the gym (because it doesn't need to stay cold) then get home and have a big glass of milk or chocolate milk.

youd be a terrible personal trainer

4g64fiero
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Thats because personal trainers dont normally know what they're talking about.^^^ There are exceptions ofcourse.

Dan Fanelli
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Dan, I bring a quart of milk to drink while working out with me and another half gallon stays in my car for afterwards since I go to work right after. The 2 or 3 hours in my car doesnt really affect it. The milk will spoil quicker than milk that has been kept refrigerated but it isnt spoiled yet. It would take a day or two after being left out 3 hours to actually become a little sour.

Just some info.

Oh, well if you workout before work and its not hot out, then I guess thats an option. I personally love milk, but wouldn't be able to handle drinking it during a workout. If it works for you, then thats great. The difference between chocolate and skim milk is going to be some sugar, and taste. It shouldn't be a hard choice if you know what you want. Post workout, 30g of sugar or so isn't going to kill you. If you are trying to get a lot leaner, maybe skip the chocolate milk.

Good luck.

Dan Fanelli
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Based on what?

Behemoth
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM

One, that was pretty rude. Two, I'd love to hear why you think that based off of Dan saying:

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 07:57 AM
It depends on your own taste buds really, I use water as I prefer to get excess cals elsewhere

Behemoth
01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
It depends on your own taste buds really, I use water as I prefer to get excess cals elsewhere

You use water post workout?

Raleighwood
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Dude didn't you know water has superior hydration abilities and facilitates a negative calorie balance. Duh

/sarcasm

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Yep, would you recommend me to take milk for some reason?

Dan Fanelli
01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Yep, would you recommend me to take milk for some reason?

Its my personal opinion that the macronutrient profile of milk is better than that of water.

superdonut
01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I drink half a gallon of chocolate milk a day. Usually 16oz when I wake up, 16oz before I lift usually an hour or hour and a half, and then another 16oz after my workout. then I drank another half gallon of either 1% or 2% that I mix my shakes with. I love milk and it is an easy way to get extra calories and protein.

Dan Fanelli
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
This has got to be the most pointless thread, by the most poinltess poster.... (Ya, im calling you out). He asks these questions, which he obviously doesn't care about the answers to, and then dissapears for a few weeks. Then he'll come back and repeat.

could be that Brian guy?

Behemoth
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Its my personal opinion that the macronutrient profile of milk is better than that of water.

lol

This has got to be the most pointless thread, by the most poinltess poster.... (Ya, im calling you out). He asks these questions, which he obviously doesn't care about the answers to, and then dissapears for a few weeks. Then he'll come back and repeat.

could be that Brian guy?

I have to agree. I think we've all been trolled.