PDA

View Full Version : need thoughts and opinions on preworkout nutrition........

Bryce
01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
so here is the situation. I have an hour to get up and get to the gym. right now my routine is as follows:
1) drink half a cup of vege greens
2) drink 1 scoop of whey
3) eat approx 30g of whole oats with honey and flaxseed oil
I try and give myself at least half an hour to digest

this is a strict time because of work,kids etc....so I was wondering opinions or is there anything else i could eat to fuel me up in this time frame.

Dan Fanelli
01-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe caffeine. It's far from optimal to workout that early but you'll adapt. I'd probably skip the greens and solid food and go with a shake and caffeine. Whey for sure, maybe orange juice. Also, look into coconut milk

Bryce
01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Maybe caffeine. It's far from optimal to workout that early but you'll adapt. I'd probably skip the greens and solid food and go with a shake and caffeine. Whey for sure, maybe orange juice. Also, look into coconut milk

what about a dex/whey shake before? 1:1 ratio? 25g of whey 30-50 dex

Behemoth
01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
First off it somewhat depends on what your goals are. What are they?

If I personally were going to be working out one hour after I woke up I would drink about 40-50g protein and about 75g of carbs from a solid food. You may do just fine with a liquid carb choice in the form of a juice or even dextrose. I don't do well training on liquid carbs, I get too shaky and weak from the rapid fall in blood sugar. Lowfat poptarts are actually my preworkout carb of choice in both bulking and cutting. This is somewhat of an individual thing though, it may make no difference how you train/feel if you ate whole oats or if you ate table sugar.

If you are trying to gain I would shoot for 50g protein/75g c 1 hour pre. If you're trying to lose weight then your options could go a few different ways. It will pretty much boil down to what helps you train the hardest and can still fit in the scope of your diet for the whole day.

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I'd have more protein first thing as not only are you waking up (I assume from your language), you are gyming it too.