PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Training for Bench-Only Guys

pricedtosell
01-07-2011, 02:02 AM
I've been looking over posts, articles and logs of various bench-only lifters and trying to decide what the most ideal set-up/program is. I know there are some great bench-only guys on here. For you guys, what does your basic weekly training template consist of?

I've noticed bench-only guys typically only work their legs directly once a week, sometimes both squatting and deadlifting on that day. If your primary concern is the bench but want to at least maintain your squat/deadlift, how many times a week do you think is ideal to train the legs?

Currently, my set-up is 5 days a week. I have a DE and ME bench day, a military press/shoulders day and then a squat day and a deadlift day. On the squat and deadlift days, I usually start with some DE sets of box squats with bands or deficit pulls with bands and then work up to a ME single, double or triple without the bands. After that, the rest of those two workouts are focused on the back/delts/traps. The squat day is the heavier back day with bent over rows, DB rows, etc. and the deadlift day is a lighter back day with lat pulldowns, face pulls, etc.

How does this look? Any bench-only guys who can post their weekly templates so I can compare and see what you're doing, I'd appreciate it. Also, I don't know if it makes any difference for the purpose of this thread but I lift raw.

Number Four
01-07-2011, 02:54 AM
I would love to know the same, as I have several lumbar spinal issues, and can only really go heavy on the Bench

pricedtosell
01-09-2011, 04:30 AM
I know there are a ton of great benchers on this board with more knowledge than they know what to do with, post in here!

Ryano
01-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Monday: Upper body support ****: DE bench-tricepts
Tuesday: Back
Wed: off
Thursday: ME bench
Friday: Legs
Sat: beer
Sun: beer

Rob Luyando
01-09-2011, 10:13 AM
My training Log is Posted on HossStrength.com or SuperTraininggym.com

bigbadwolfe
01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
You can try my new program Exile Style it is posted here in this forum and my training log is over at gorilla-pit.com. The Exile program is working GREAT for me and all my Bench only guys and I have raw and shirted guys.

bigbadwolfe
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?140105-Exile-Style-Bench-Program

Exile program

NickAus
01-09-2011, 01:58 PM
When I was bench only I did the following:

Heavy bench (shirt and board work) day

Upper back day

Raw bench/ speed bench day

Squat and rack pulls etc day

Lots of guys do pretty simalar.

Travis Bell
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Tuesday - rehab

Wednsday - ME Bench

Thursday - rehab

Friday - squat and deadlift

Saturday - DE bench

I've done this schedule for years and it works well

Cards
01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Tuesday - rehab

Wednsday - ME Bench

Thursday - rehab

Friday - squat and deadlift

Saturday - DE bench

I've done this schedule for years and it works well

What do you do for rehab? Is it light work to get the blood flowing?

vdizenzo
01-10-2011, 05:40 AM
I think you should cut out that shoulder day. Hit your shoulders on either your ME or DE day. I have been keeping squat and deadlift on two separate days and have been making solid gains doing so.

AdamBAG
01-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I would not consider myself a "great bencher," but I am bench only. :)

Monday - Lower Assistance (focus is on glutes, low back, unitlateral leg work)
Tuesday - Lardio
Wednesday - Dynamic Effort Bench (standard WSB parameters)
Thursday - Lardio
Friday - Squat/Deadlift (5/3/1)
Saturday - Off or Lardio
Sunday - Max Effort Bench (standard WSB parameters)

Travis Bell
01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
What do you do for rehab? Is it light work to get the blood flowing?

Usually it's one ultra light pressing movement, two light back movements (one pulldown one rowing) two light tricep movements and I'm out.

I just keep it simple. In and out in 35min or less

pricedtosell
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I think you should cut out that shoulder day. Hit your shoulders on either your ME or DE day. I have been keeping squat and deadlift on two separate days and have been making solid gains doing so.

I really appreciate your input on this. You have a beastly strong overhead/military press. I've watched the youtube video of you OH pressing 405 so many times. That's a big part of why I wanted the military press on it's own day. I really wanted to develop it on its own and give it extra assistance work while fresh. I've been thinking about removing it recently, though.

My idea is to incorporate the military press to my DE bench day. That day would be all about developing strength off of the chest and building up shoulders with the cambered bar bench and DB bench after the DE stuff. Then, maybe something like standing military press, seated DB military press and side raises.

The ME day would be all about developing the top half of the bench/lockout. The ME exercise would be a board press, floor press or a pin press. Then, I'd do a second pressing movement, most likely with a close grip. After that, I'd do something like a JM press, rolling DB extensions or tate press and pushdowns.

What do you think about that set-up? My only problem would be trying to figure out when I could go heavy on rows and just work the back/biceps in general. I figure I could do lighter movements on the bench days like lat pulldowns, face-pulls, reverse flies, etc. and then maybe have a fifth day for heavy back and biceps. That's the set-up that Ben Brand uses currently and it seems to be working for him. Do you think that would be best, or should I do my back/biceps stuff on the squat/deadlift days?

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks!

pricedtosell
01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Usually it's one ultra light pressing movement, two light back movements (one pulldown one rowing) two light tricep movements and I'm out.

I just keep it simple. In and out in 35min or less

I've been doing something similarly recently. The day after both of my bench days, I've been going on a 45 minute walk and every 5 minutes I do 12 band pull-aparts, 12 pushdowns, 12 front raises and 12 pushups.

By the end of a 45 minute walk, I've done a ton of those 4 movements and haven't gotten too fatigued. I think that it's a good combination of lower intensity steady state cardio and the extra workouts done at Westside. I just know that I've lost fat since I've started doing this, felt a LOT better and my bench feels significantly stronger.

NickAus
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
"My idea is to incorporate the military press to my DE bench day. That day would be all about developing strength off of the chest and building up shoulders with the cambered bar bench and DB bench after the DE stuff. Then, maybe something like standing military press, seated DB military press and side raises.

The ME day would be all about developing the top half of the bench/lockout. The ME exercise would be a board press, floor press or a pin press. Then, I'd do a second pressing movement, most likely with a close grip. After that, I'd do something like a JM press, rolling DB extensions or tate press and pushdowns."

Good idea!!

Travis Bell
01-11-2011, 06:57 AM
I've been doing something similarly recently. The day after both of my bench days, I've been going on a 45 minute walk and every 5 minutes I do 12 band pull-aparts, 12 pushdowns, 12 front raises and 12 pushups.

By the end of a 45 minute walk, I've done a ton of those 4 movements and haven't gotten too fatigued. I think that it's a good combination of lower intensity steady state cardio and the extra workouts done at Westside. I just know that I've lost fat since I've started doing this, felt a LOT better and my bench feels significantly stronger.

For rehab work, I'd really recommend bumping all those reps up into the 30+ range. It'll really get the blood moving in that area which is going to greatly increase recovery.