PDA

View Full Version : Strongman Pro-AM in Georgia 3/26/2011

Tom Mutaffis
01-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Columbia County,GA - March 26, 2011 - The 1st combined Pro-Am of 2011 will be held at Lake Thurmond on Saturday March 26th, 2011 in beautiful Columbia County Georgia. "The Southern Strongman Challenge" will be held in conjunction with a larger RV and Boat show. "We are excited to be heading to Georgia in early spring," said ASC President Dione Wessels, "Columbia County is really gorgeous and will serve as a great back drop for an ASC Pro-Am. The southern fans have always welcomed ASC athletes with open arms."

The Southern Strongman Challenge will offer a HW and LW pro-card and be open to current ASC LW and HW pros with a guaranteed minimum $10K prize package.

The events will include:

- Car Deadlift
- Log Clean & Press
- Hussefeldt Stone Carry
- Last Man Standing Yoke Walk. (new event)
- Atlas Stones

The next ASC Pro-Am will be held in May, details will be announced on 1/25/2011.

Kiff
01-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Man Standing Yoke Walk. (new event)

Ouch...

Your gonna go i assume Tom?

Big_Byrd52
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
What are the weights for light and heavy? And if one turns pro as a heavy, would they also have to turn pro as a light to compete in LW pro meets?

Tom Mutaffis
01-07-2011, 11:42 AM
What are the weights for light and heavy? And if one turns pro as a heavy, would they also have to turn pro as a light to compete in LW pro meets?

The weights are not posted yet but I would expect it to be heavy.

My understanding is that just like with NAS you must qualify for the division that you wish to compete in. There was an instance where a HW Pro (Chad Coy) competed in a Platinum Plus contest in 2009 to attempt to win his LW Card, but this may have been after he had retired from competing as a HW.

Usually once someone wins a HW Pro Card they are pretty much locked in for bigger contests (National/International), but a LW Pro is still able to compete in NAS contests (Local/Regional/National) as a HW Amateur.

Cmanuel
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I would imagine weights are going to be really heavy for this as ASC Seems to come under scrutiny sometimes for lighter weights, especially at Pro-Ams. I believe also Mike Johnston said on an RXMuscle radio interview with ryan bracewell that they were looking to really make the PRO-AM shows a good bit heavier this year.

Big_Byrd52
01-07-2011, 12:58 PM
The weights are not posted yet but I would expect it to be heavy.

My understanding is that just like with NAS you must qualify for the division that you wish to compete in. There was an instance where a HW Pro (Chad Coy) competed in a Platinum Plus contest in 2009 to attempt to win his LW Card, but this may have been after he had retired from competing as a HW.

Usually once someone wins a HW Pro Card they are pretty much locked in for bigger contests (National/International), but a LW Pro is still able to compete in NAS contests (Local/Regional/National) as a HW Amateur.

i was under the impression that Darren Saddler competed as both LW and HW pro? Assuming one made weight for the comps it seems silly not to allow someone riding the line to hop back and forth if he is competitive in both

Tom Mutaffis
01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
i was under the impression that Darren Saddler competed as both LW and HW pro? Assuming one made weight for the comps it seems silly to allow someone riding the line not hop back and forth if he is competitive in both

There is really no 'Pro' system for international competitors, but he did compete as a 105 Kg competitor prior to competing in WSM.

It would be possible to be qualified as a Pro Strongman in both classes in the U.S., you would just have to earn them separately. It is also possible for a non-'pro' to compete at WSM - as is the case with Brian Siders, etc.

For someone who wanted to compete in WSM they could enter the Sin City Strongman Challenge which is also in March. This contest is a direct qualifier for a Giants Live contest overseas (fully paid) and the top three at that event will receive invites to WSM. You do not need to be an ASC Pro to compete in the Sin City Challenge - I will post the info here shortly in a separate thread.

Big_Byrd52
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Sin City might be a little ambitious for me at this point Tom haha. Im skirting 230 line now and trying to add more. I want to compete with the big boys for fun, but getting my ass kicked every time doesnt sound very appealing. It would be nice to have the option on which division to do. Ive been training with Nick Brugal for the last 10 weeks as i get ready for the raw unity PL meet and him for the All American in LA both at the end of this month. After this meet ill be jumping into some events training and pick out a comp a few months down the road. Been wanting to get into it for a long time, just didnt have the access to implements or guidance. He told me about this one last night and it might be an option.

Tom Mutaffis
01-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Sin City might be a little ambitious for me at this point Tom haha. Im skirting 230 line now and trying to add more. I want to compete with the big boys for fun, but getting my ass kicked every time doesnt sound very appealing. It would be nice to have the option on which division to do. Ive been training with Nick Brugal for the last 10 weeks as i get ready for the raw unity PL meet and him for the All American in LA both at the end of this month. After this meet ill be jumping into some events training and pick out a comp a few months down the road. Been wanting to get into it for a long time, just didnt have the access to implements or guidance. He told me about this one last night and it might be an option.

NAS (North American Strongman) contests allow you to jump between divisions as often as you like, and offer many more contests if you are looking to compete frequently. Once someone wins their HW Pro Card their options to compete are somewhat limited, but that is also the highest level of strongman so you would not expect them to do as many events.

There is a NAS contests on 3/19 in Georgia, I competed in this event last year and it was a good one: http://nastrongman.com/StrongManEntryForm2011.pdf

Remember that if you win your LW Pro Card you can still compete as a HW Amateur, for example I won my Pro Card in 2010 and qualified for the World Amateur Strongman Championships at the Arnold where I will face off with some of the best HW amateur athletes (and a few Pro's) from 26 different countries.

Many LW's cut down from 250+ lbs since ASC contests offer 24 hour weigh-in's, so if your body weight is 230 right now you could still gain a bit and remain a 'lightweight'.

ehopkins932
01-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Looks cool Tom. Out of curiosity, what would you say the average lifts are for a lightweight pro (lightweight pro is under 230 right)? As far as strict pressing, log C&P, squat, deadlift, or whatever other indicators you feel comfortable estimating.

Also, do you think strongmen should know the proper olympic lifting techniques for the clean and snatch?

Im just wondering because someday in the future I want to do an amateur contest and am just curious as to what the lightweight pros are putting up. Is there a site similar to powerliftingwatch for strongman that has amateur meets listed?

Thanks for your time.

Tom Mutaffis
01-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Looks cool Tom. Out of curiosity, what would you say the average lifts are for a lightweight pro (lightweight pro is under 230 right)? As far as strict pressing, log C&P, squat, deadlift, or whatever other indicators you feel comfortable estimating.

Also, do you think strongmen should know the proper olympic lifting techniques for the clean and snatch?

Im just wondering because someday in the future I want to do an amateur contest and am just curious as to what the lightweight pros are putting up. Is there a site similar to powerliftingwatch for strongman that has amateur meets listed?

Thanks for your time.

The cutoff for Lightweights in strongman is 105 Kg or 231.5 lbs, but many of the top athletes take advantage of the 24 hour weigh-in and cut down from 245-250 lbs.

I would say that the majority of the 105 Pro's can do the following:

- 325+ lbs Log or Axle Clean & Press
- 800 lbs Yoke for 75 feet
- 700 lbs Deadlift
- Flip a 900 lbs tire for 5-10 reps in 60 seconds
- 325 lbs Farmers for 75 feet
- Load a 335 lbs stone for 5+ reps in 60 seconds
- Good overall speed, athleticism, and conditioning

Some athletes excel in certain events; for example there are LW Pro's who clean and press over 350 lbs on the log, deadlift 765 lbs, load 420 lbs stone for reps, run with a 900 lbs yoke, 400 lbs farmers for 50', etc.

With regard to the Olympic lifts, I believe that the Olympic training background can be helpful but is not necessary.

For contests you can check the North American Strongman website (www.nastrongmaninc.com), and Marunde-Muscle also has a forum where additional contests may be posted.

Feel free to PM me or post a new thread if there is anything additional that you would like to discuss.

ehopkins932
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Nothing right now Tom, but thanks for the thorough answer. Im still competing at 148 for powerlifting, so I have a while to go. Someday though :)

Cmanuel
01-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Nothing right now Tom, but thanks for the thorough answer. Im still competing at 148 for powerlifting, so I have a while to go. Someday though :)

There is a 175 class in NAS, but it really depends on your region whether or not they are represented at local shows. There is a 175 nationals division...but I feel like those guys get no love from the other strongman haha. Hell, us 200 lbers get hell from the 231 guys all the time

Big_Byrd52
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey Tom, is there a LW US team that helps with travel expenses to international meets like the big boys? I really want.to do some international lifting and wondering what the best way to approach that is?

Tom Mutaffis
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey Tom, is there a LW US team that helps with travel expenses to international meets like the big boys? I really want.to do some international lifting and wondering what the best way to approach that is?

If there is a 105 Kg Worlds then the winner of LW Pro Nationals from the U.S. gets an invite, but I am not sure if it is an expense-paid trip or not. Other than that you may be able to enter contests in other countries but there is not anyone who is currently doing it (other than Adam Keep who was stationed in Germany while in the military and did a couple of contests in Europe).

Your best bet would be to find a sponsor who would be open to paying your way to compete, and then leveraging your powerlifting accomplishments to try to get in to the contests if they are 'invite only' events.