PDA

View Full Version : Nothing great... but my deadlift PR.

SplitQuick
01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, I know this is nothing great by normal standards but I'm happy about it :) This is just a quick vid of me deadlifting 415lbs. I was really surprised at how easy it felt (well it wasn't EASY but I thought it was going to be a lot harder) This is a big milestone for me because about 7 months ago I couldn't even deadlift 275 without my grip failing. This is also a thank you vid, because without this website, I honestly don't know if I would have kept lifting when I started over a year ago now. So thanks guys, and any comments/criticism is welcome.

How's my form look? I usually have very good form (or so I think) but I hadn't DLed anything this heavy and it definitely caused my form to break down some but just wondering how it looks overall.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Spanknasty/?action=view&current=Movie11.mp4

Kiff
01-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Do you use any chalk for your grip?

Well done on the PR i am not that well placed to comment on form but looks OK to me mate.

Cirino83
01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
congrats on the PR, always a great feeling/achievement. That gym looks pretty nice too

SplitQuick
01-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey thanks for the comments. Kiff, yep I definitely use chalk. I only use it for DLs though. I started using chalk about 5 months ago, and I can definitely say I probably added about 50 lbs to my deadlift just by using chalk. (The grip portion anyway)

Cirino83, thanks, yeah I had been chasing a 400+ lb deadlift since I started lifting, I always wanted to dead 400+ and squat 300+, now that i've got those, I'm hoping to one day dead 500+ and squat 400+. The best part is, I know it's possible :) And yeah, I lift at a college gym, so besides having to share everything with the football team when they're training, they have everything I could ever need there

killxswitch
01-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Nice job. 4 plates per side is a big accomplishment for sure.

GreggNJ
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the PR! I'll be thrilled when I get 3 plates a side....you should be proud of your accomplishment.

MikeWilliams
01-22-2011, 08:17 PM
no belt?

Sean S
01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Overall it looks decent for a max attempt. You can tell your back wants to round just a bit, but you do a decent job of not getting rounded over. It's nearly impossible to keep a perfect arch on a true max attempt, just don't get into the habit of rounding. The only thing I can really see is that perhaps your stance looks a little wide for a conventional DL. It may just be the video being slightly distorted, but it looks like you might be able to bring your stance in a bit and thus your grip in a bit as well. This may help your strength and leverage off the floor. Just something to think about and tinker with in training and see how it feels.
Good job on your progress so far.

SplitQuick
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey haven't stopped in this thread in a bit. Thanks for the positive comments killswitch and gregg. Much appreciated :)

Mike, I've never used any equipment, no belt/straps or anything. When I got into lifting Mark Rippetoe was a big mentor for me and he seemed to be against them so I never considered using anything like that. Not that I think they don't have a place, they do. I just prefer to do all my lifts unequipped.

Sean, thanks for the advice. I definitely use a slightly wider than shoulder width stance. I will definitely try tightening it up and see how it feels.

-JM-
01-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Your hips shoot up before the weight is off the deck. This means that your legs are out of the lift straight away and it becomes an sldl. Try to keep your hips down and your chest up. Think about 'pushing' off the ground to begin with if you know what I mean?

Strong effort though mate. That gym looks pretty decent btw.