PDA

View Full Version : Complete Beginner's HCT-12 - Wish Me Luck!

matthewalan8
01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Hello everyone. I have made a couple of posts in the past and just could not get myself motivated to figure out these training routines. HCT-12 seemed like a routine that I could get myself into, and it had received a lot of praise. Let me tell you that I have never been a lifter. I have always been more into cardio than anything else and I've always been the "weak" one out of all my friends. For example, in high school, my max bench press was135. That was after a month or so in weight training.

Here are some stats about me...

I am 26 years old. I'm 6'2" 205lbs which doesn't sound all that terrible, but I have around 20-21% body fat. I have a spare tire that would fit a Mack truck! I have skinny arms and thick legs from years and years of playing soccer. I do not have a specific goal of weight that I would like to be, or weight that I would like to lift but maybe as I go on, I can figure that out. My goal is to look good. My ideal body type would be that of Ryan Reynolds in Amittyville Horror or Blade 3. The dude was jacked, and I don't need quite the definition that he had, but that's the body type I am shooting for.

My goal is not to look like Mr. America. My goal is to fill out my 6'2" frame, and look athletic (not too skinny). To do that, I've started a journal, because they seem to help people out here and I think it will help hold me accountable. I look forward to any tips and advice you all have for me along the way as I am sure 100% of you are more experienced than me.

I will be following the AB AB format.

My next post will be my first workout!

matthewalan8
01-07-2011, 06:16 PM
So my first workout happened today and I will be doing Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday with two days of light cardio in the middle depending on how my body is feeling will determine my cardio intensity level.

It was my first time in the gym and I am a complete noob. I know that I did not do exactly what I was supposed to do on the HCT-12 program because I felt that I could have changed the weights a bit and had more in me. On Monday (my next day for these exercises, I will do it correctly and challenge myself). Here's how it went...

Flat Bench: 45 x 6
75 x 6
95 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2
Stopped there because I definitely felt it and I did not have a spotter. I told you I was a beginner!

Rack Chins: Legs suspended by another bench - BW x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2
With the legs up, this helped me out so I wasn't lifting my entire body weight. This one was good for me.

One-Arm Dumbbell Row: 25 x 6
30 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (Both Sides)
I think I can do more next time

Standing Dumbbell Press: 30x1
25(2) x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Triceps Dumbbell Extensions (Overhead): 15 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

I didn't push myself as hard as I needed to because I was still getting the feel to these workouts and the gym/equipment. I went on and did some 130lb machine dips and then some light cardio.

Overall, I think this was a good step in the right direction for me and I look forward to doing some lower body and abs tomorrow.

I have read that it's best to split dead lift and squats and do them on separate days, is this correct?

Thanks!

matthewalan8
01-09-2011, 04:21 AM
DAY TWO - SATURDAY 01-08-2011

Went to the gym this morning to do the second part of my HCT-12.

I really need to learn more about the proper Dead Lift form because it did not feel right at all and I didn't feel it in my hips, but I felt it a lot in my groin and my butt :omg: Maybe that's where I am supposed to feel it, I don't know haha. Anyways...

Dead Lift
90 x 6
100 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Leg Press - Could have gone heavier, but by the time I got to the end of this one, my legs were spent.
90 x 6
140 x 6
180 x 6
200 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Barbell Curl
50 x 6
60 x 4
50 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Calf Raises - Didn't know if I was doing these right. I was doing them on the leg press machine. I felt like I could have picked a better machine for this. Probably the squat machine or just using the squat area. This is still learning experience for me.
90 x 6
180 x 6
270 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Cable Crunches - Need to work on form
38 x 6
63 x 1
53 x 6
58 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Thanks, if anyone has any feedback or tips it would be appreciated. As you can see from the numbers, I'm new at this. I am enjoying it, however and I can't wait until Monday when I go back for the next workout :)

GazzyG
01-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Welcome on board, mate.

I've found HCT-12 to be a great program and I've made a lot more progress in the last coupla months on this routine, than I did in the several months of just mucking about beforehand.

You'll have good days and bad days, but just stick with it and you'll get stronger.

Have fun!

matthewalan8
01-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm definitely looking forward to it. I love the idea of keeping a journal of my workouts and constantly trying to beat what I've done before. I think it will definitely keep me going strong (pun-intended)

matthewalan8
01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Terrible sleep last night, just couldn't fall asleep. Ended up oversleeping because of it and missed the gym. Luckily, tomorrow is a scheduled "Off day" for me so I'll be able to make it up.

I DID however get to the gym today with just enough time before work to become an official member rather than just a guest :strong: :hump: :clap:

matthewalan8
01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Okay so I made up for the day I missed yesterday.

Incline Bench Machine - 90 x 6
...........................................105 x 6
...........................................120 x 6
...........................................135 x 6
...........................................150 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Rack Chins using Body Weight - 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Mid Row Machine - 50 x 6
...................................80 x 6
...................................110 x 6
...................................125 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Standing Dumbell Press - 20 x 6
................................................25 x 6
................................................30 x 5 (Almost got 6...next time)
................................................25 x 2 x 2 x 2

Tricep Extension Machine - 30 x 6
..................................................40 x 6
..................................................50 x 6
..................................................60 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Overall, I pushed myself extremely hard today and I felt good. A little sore in my right shoulder while benching, but probably due to sleeping on it awkwardly. I usually have a sharp pain in my right shoulder while doing shoulder presses, but I didn't have that issue today.

Feel good, all of these were PRs, but I've definitely got a long way to before the numbers are impressive to anyone else!

matthewalan8
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I think my personal goal for this journal is to show people that you can go from literally nothing, to something great. As I continue, and once I really start to see some results, I'll throw up some pictures of before/after type stuff. I've searched through the journals and really haven't found someone with my frame, that started as weak and inexperienced as I am. Hopefully, this encourages others someday.

matthewalan8
01-12-2011, 06:23 PM
SO today I got to the gym a bit late, but you know what? I cranked it out, pushed myself and left a little late for work (still made it in plenty of time, so well worth it). I'm feelin' GOOD today (sore in a good way).

First time doing Squats since High School (2003) so I'm a bit rusty. I have big legs, but they aren't full of muscle like they used to be.

Squats - 45 x 6
................95 x 6
................135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Calf Presses (Using back squat stance with barbell)
......................135 x 6
......................225 x 6
......................245 x 6
......................275 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Rack Pulls - 45 x 6
.......................95 x 6
.......................115 x 6
.......................135 x 6
.......................155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

AB Crunch Machine - 35 x 6
.......................................65 x 6
.......................................80 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Bicep Curl Machine - 30 x 6
......................................50 x 6
......................................70 x 6
......................................80 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

That's it for today, next workout scheduled for Friday. Any tips, advice and/or encouragement is greatly appreciated :ninja:

matthewalan8
01-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I was only able to get about 4 hours of sleep last night, I just could not fall asleep for the life of me but I have a feeling that I will have ZERO problems falling asleep tonight because I killed it today in the gym; even if I was a bit sluggish.

On the flat bench today, I lifted free weights more than I ever have before.

Flat Bench
65 x 6
85 x 6
105 x 6
125 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 2 (PR-Max, but I definitely think I can lift heavier if I were more fresh!)
145 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Rack Chins - Body Weight, Legs On Bench in Front of Me
6 x 2 x 2 x 2

One-Arm Row - I think I'm messing up the form on this one
30 x 6
40 x 6
45 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Standing Dumbell Press - Pain in Right Shoulder, as usual
25 x 6
30 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Overhead Barbell Tricep Extensions
30 x 6
50 x 4
40 x 3
30 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 - I think I could have done 40 if I hadn't tried to jump to 50 first

Then I filled out the remaining time I had before work with some light shoulder flys of about 10 pounds. Did a few sets of those before heading to the locker room.

Next workout set for tomorrow, legs, biceps and abs. Anybody know why I could be having shoulder pain on my overhead presses? It's on the back side of my right shoulder, right in the joint. I always tend to have pain there and I have never had an injury, to my knowledge. Should I just be doing lighter weights?

matthewalan8
01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
DAY FIVE

Will be posting a couple of workouts, including one from the weekend that I did not get around to posting.

Dead Lift
45 x 6
95 x 6
115 x 6
125 x 6
135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Smashed my previous best of 100, but it was more because I was able to get the form down a little better.

Leg Press
90 x 6
180 x 6
270 x 2 (PR)
230 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Calf Press
230 x 6
270 x 6
320 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Bicep Curl Machine (Two Handed)
70 x 6
90 x 6
100 x 4 (PR)
90 x 2 x 2 x 2

Cable Crunch
48 x 6
58 x 6
63 x 6 (PR)

As you can see, everything for me was a personal record. I feel stronger, but this could also just be a simple fact of getting used to the workouts and understanding how to do them properly.

matthewalan8
01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
DAY SIX

Was feeling rather sluggish today, and my sciatic nerve seemed inflamed most likely due to my previous lower body workouts. I've had issues with my sciatic nerve on the left side for a few years now and it hadn't flared up for a while until now.

Flat Bench
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 3 (PR)
145 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Pull-Ups (Machine Assisted)
This is a machine that you decide how much weight is counteracting your body weight. The lower the number the better as that is more of your own body weight that you are lifting.

165 x 6
150 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Dips (Machine Assisted)
180 x 6
150 x 6
135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Mid Row Machine
80 x 6
95 x 6
110 x 6
125 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Overhead Barbell Press
40 x 6
50 x 6
60 x 6
70 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Did not feel any shoulder pain in my right arm from these, so that is great news for me!

Overall, I gave all I had but since I was just feeling sluggish today it was a somewhat subpar performance. I still hit all of my previous highs, while also adding a PR or two so I guess I can't complain too much :tuttut:

GazzyG
01-18-2011, 02:07 AM
You'll get days like that, where you feel really bad, but strangely, sometimes they're the days you do the best, haha!

Keep it up!

matthewalan8
01-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! I think it could have to do with the fact that I've been watching my niece for the past week (she's 4) and I've never had kids. Her mom was supposed to be back today, but her flight was cancelled :bang:

Now hopefully I'll get a phone call in the morning from her asking me to pick her up from the airport!

matthewalan8
01-19-2011, 05:00 AM
The pull-up machines and dip machines REALLY worked for me as I was definitely sore the next day. I don't have the upper-body strength yet to do true pull-ups/dips, and was just doing rack-pulls and tricep workouts (dumbells and machines).

I think I'll be sticking with the assisted machines until I am ready for the real thing. I guess in a sense it's a little like using training wheels. One thing I am enjoying about having the HCT workout plan is that I know what movements I need to do and I can try all sorts of different machines/workouts to see which ones work best for me rather than being stuck with the same boring routine. :newbie:

matthewalan8
01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
DAY SEVEN

Had a buddy work out with me today so I was sort of showing him the ropes of the gym (he's strong than I am and has experience, just not at this particular gym). My sciatic nerve is still giving me a lot of issues, and I can really feel it at the bottom of my squats, so I did not try to do anything spectacular today, just stuck with my normal weight on it.

Squats
45 x 6
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Calf Press
135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Rack Pull
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6
175 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Ab Crunch Machine
95 x 6
110 x 6
125 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Bicep Barbell Curls
90 x 6
100 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Once again, although I was experiencing some pain from my sciatic nerve and could not perform as well as I wanted to on Squats, everything else was a personal record for me. It's nice going to the gym and SEEING the results. I understand eventually that it will level out and I won't be hitting as many PR's each workout, but right now it's definitely enough to keep me intrigued :)

matthewalan8
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
DAY EIGHT

The pain in my sciatic nerve seems to be clearing up pretty well. Only a dull pain now, but at least I'm able to tie my shoes :clap:

I pushed myself today on the bench because I was determined to finish a set of 155 for the first time...and I did :)

Flat Bench
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR) :clap:

Pull-Up Assist
150 x 6
135 x 3
150 x 2 x 2 x 2
Next time I'll get that 135

Dip Assist
135 x 6
120 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR) :clap:

Mid Row Machine
125 x 6
140 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR) :clap:

Shoulder Press - Barbell
60 x 6
70 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

I was pressed (pun intended) for time today because I had a meeting before work. I think next week I should be able to move up to 80.

Still achieving PR's almost all around, which is typical I assume in beginners. I definitely feel that I am gaining in strength.

Things I need to work on are my diet and sleep patterns. Both are pretty poor at the moment and if I am going to commit at the gym, I may as well commit elsewhere too right?

GazzyG
01-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Matt - as far as pullups go, try this routine. Maybe you'll have to do some pulldowns to start, but as it focuses on single reps, maybe not!

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/bodybuilding/leave-lat-pull-down-land-and-build-a-bigger-back/

I'm using this program and more than one other person on this forum has followed it with good results.

Kiff
01-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Just read the start of your journal, i will follow it from now on.

Few comments mate.

Pick your machines/movements quickly. I notice you have swapped between DB bench, Bench, Incline Bench.

If you keep swapping these your not going to give yourself time to get stronger your body will be reacting to the change rather than allowing you to focus on lifting heavier and heavier weights.

Also I do not know your goals but your right. Your going to have to nail your diet and sleep if you want the maximum gains. As for linear newbie gains i am pretty sure i am still getting them and i have been working out for 9months solid now, they are enough to keep you going untill you get truely adicted :)

matthewalan8
01-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Thank you for the tip GazzyG, reading through that, it appears interesting and I think I'll have to give that a try here soon.

Kiff, I really appreciate you following my thread and I could use an advise you would be willing to give me. At the start, I was just feeling my way around the gym, not really sure what exactly I was planning on doing for which movement. I think I am starting to really hone in on my routines.

I have heard in the past that it is good to mix in incline/decline with flat bench, is that a myth? Should I just stick with one type of bench lift?

Thanks again, I truly appreciate the advice.

On a side note, I needed to cover for someone at work today so today's lower body portion will be pushed to tomorrow so I'll be posting a journal entry then.

GazzyG
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Every few weeks you'll do what's called a deload week, where you lower the weight of your lifts on purpose, to let your body recover.

What people tend to do is swap the exercises around (ie flat bench for incline etc) after a deload, if it's needed.

Kiff
01-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Every few weeks you'll do what's called a deload week, where you lower the weight of your lifts on purpose, to let your body recover.

What people tend to do is swap the exercises around (ie flat bench for incline etc) after a deload, if it's needed.

This is correct, the program says to stick with one excersice do not worry yourself yet with two types. That will be more advanced tbh. Stick with one, really i would say Flat Barbell Bench or DB Bench. The later being great for stability and if you work out alone.

Just try and make sure you use as many free weights/Barbels as possible to avoid machine work. Your body is going to need to adjust to balancing with heavy weights and trust me when i say it is easier to start like that then go back and try and get off the Smith Machine!

matthewalan8
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Okay excellent. After this coming up week, I'll do a deload week. I'll make sure I definitely hit the gym hard this week so that I make full use of the "off" week.

Thanks for the advice with free-weights. Since I have been working out alone, I have been using a dumbell bench that isn't exactly free-weights, but it'snot quite a machine either. It has cables and safety hooks, but I definitely know that I am not needing to balance like I would be on a free-bench press; at the same time I feel like it's working me more than a typical machine would.

I'll try and stick with free weights rather than machines and when I have my buddy working out with me I'll stick to using complete free-weight bench press as well.

GreggNJ
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Okay excellent. After this coming up week, I'll do a deload week. I'll make sure I definitely hit the gym hard this week so that I make full use of the "off" week.

Thanks for the advice with free-weights. Since I have been working out alone, I have been using a dumbell bench that isn't exactly free-weights, but it'snot quite a machine either. It has cables and safety hooks, but I definitely know that I am not needing to balance like I would be on a free-bench press; at the same time I feel like it's working me more than a typical machine would.

I'll try and stick with free weights rather than machines and when I have my buddy working out with me I'll stick to using complete free-weight bench press as well.

Sounds like you are getting a handle on it.....there's a ton of great information here that will get you pointed in the right direction if you ever need help.......I'm on my second cycle of HCT-12....I gotta say it's quite possibly my favorite program I've done.....I'm making gains, and I get to do big lifts like squats and deadlifts. I'm seeing gains and progress as well.....I'm too lazy to do a journal, but I'm interested in following yours....keep up the hard work!

matthewalan8
01-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks, GreggNJ! I took some "before" pictures before I started doing any lifting so I think maybe around the summer time I'll post before/after so you all can see my progress as I go. The more people following my journal, the more likely I'll be interested in showing people my gains so thank you for following :)

matthewalan8
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
DAY NINE

Today I put up some huge numbers (to me) and for the first time really feel like the creatine was doing something for me.

Dead Lift
135 x 6
155 x 6
175 x 6
185 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

I beat my previous best by 50 pounds! I actually felt like I could have done more, but it was more my hands hurting than anything else.

Leg Press
135 x 6
245 x 6
265 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

I beat my previous best by 35 pounds! Again, felt like I could have probably done more as it was more my knee that was bothering me so I listened to my body and backed off.

Calf Raises
135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Beat previous best by 45 pounds!

Hammer Strength Curls
90 x 6
100 x 6
120 x 3 (PR)
100 x 2 x 2 x 2

Crunch Machine
110 x 6
125 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

I really felt like I killed it today in the gym as I was focused, and really took my time in there today. Awesome workout for my standards!

matthewalan8
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
DAY TEN

Today wasn't nearly the triumphant day that yesterday was, but I did not have the greatest night sleep last night so I guess that could have had something to do with it. But, the important thing was that I pushed myself and went through with the workout rather than just half-assing it.

Flat Bench
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 1 (PR)
155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Pull-Up (Assisted)
150 x 6
135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Dips (Assisted)
135 x 6
120 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Mid Row Machine
140 x 6
155 x 6
170 x 2
155 x 2 x 2 x 2

Barbell Shoulder Press
70 x 6
80 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

matthewalan8
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
DAY ELEVEN

Right back to work after a rest day.

Squats
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2(PR)

185 Was definitely tough for me and I could feel my sciatic nerve reacting as I lowered the bar. I may have to build up slowly from 135 and up to ease my back into it.

Calf Raises
On this one I did 6 times for each stance; neutral, outward and inward to work different parts of my calves.
225 x 6 (3)
315 x 6 (3)
365 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (3)

Rack Pull
135 x 6
185 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Crunch Machine
90 x 6
100 x 6
110 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Barbell Curl
100 x 6
120 x 3 (PR)
100 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

GazzyG
01-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Good going. Well done on the PRs, keep 'em coming! ;)

matthewalan8
01-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Some shocking numbers after checking out my bank statement. In the month of January, so far, I have spent over $325 on fast food. Not food. Fast food.

This is going to change. Dramatically. If I want the results I am searching for, I can't eat that much fast food. My excuses are endless. I don't have time. I'm tired and don't want to cook. I don't know how to cook. I don't have the right equipment to cook with. It's too expensive.

After looking at those numbers, I have no excuses. I can't afford (with y waistline or my wallet) NOT to cook for myself. Man, that is a wake-up call.

This weekend, I'll be going to the store with a shipping list. I'm going to cook for myself for the entire month of February. Sure, there will be days (Super Bowl, most likely) that I'll probably order some pizza, but why not just make my own? Much cheaper, much better for me if I do it right.

Anybody have any ideas of things to add to my shopping list this weekend? Money is not that much of an issue. If I can spend that much on fast food, I can spend that much on good, nutritious food.

matthewalan8
01-30-2011, 03:00 AM
DAY TWELVE

Just now getting around to posting these workouts. This one was from Friday.

Flat Bench
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Pull-Up (Assisted)
135 x 6
150 x 6
165 x 6

Lower number is better, but I'm thinking on these it's good to do a high number of reps and get the form right.

Dips (Assisted)
120 x 6
105 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2
120 x 6
135 x 6

Low Row
120 x 6
135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

HS Shoulder Press
60 x 6
100 x 6
120 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

matthewalan8
01-30-2011, 03:08 AM
DAY THIRTEEN

Now for today's workout

Dead Lift
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6
205 x 5 -- (PR) -- I couldn't hang onto the bar for the final lift. My grip felt weaker than the rest of the muscles this was working. Anybody know some good tips for either improving grip strength and/or making it so these don't hurt my hand as much or should I just stop being a wuss and get over it?

Finished up with some lighter sets due to the hand pain
135 x 6
135 x 6

Leg Press
225 x 6
275 x 6
295 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Calf Raises - Just like last time, 3 different stances -- Neutral, Outward and Inward
225 x 6 (3)
315 x 6 (3)
405 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (3) (PR)

Crunch Machine
100 x 6
110 x 6
120 x 6
130 x 6
140 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

HS Curl
100 x 6
120 x 4 (PR)
100 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

GazzyG
01-30-2011, 04:41 AM
DAY THIRTEEN
I couldn't hang onto the bar for the final lift. My grip felt weaker than the rest of the muscles this was working. Anybody know some good tips for either improving grip strength and/or making it so these don't hurt my hand as much or should I just stop being a wuss and get over it?

This happens.

Your grip WILL catch up, but if you want to accelerate the process, get some chalk. Can find it in most places where they sell climbing equipment.

It helps a LOT!

the pope
01-30-2011, 09:40 AM
hows it going

how you findind the hct-12, i gave a run a while back its a very program, ill be runing it again in a few mounths, keep it up

matthewalan8
01-30-2011, 02:36 PM
This happens.

Your grip WILL catch up, but if you want to accelerate the process, get some chalk. Can find it in most places where they sell climbing equipment.

It helps a LOT!

I've heard about people using chalk. I was wondering if that also helps guard against calluses? I have been getting some nasty, nasty calluses through this. I found something online called the NewGrip. Seems to have gotten some nice reviews online, but I was wondering if anyone here has tried it? It's not really a "glove" but it has protection, grip, callus protection and wrist support so I was thinking about picking one up.

hows it going

how you findind the hct-12, i gave a run a while back its a very program, ill be runing it again in a few mounths, keep it up

I'm liking HCT-12 so far. I needed a program to keep me motivated and this journal helps the drive to work out because I feel like I am being held accountable. If I skip workouts, other people will know about it. I have been going for 3 weeks now so I think this next week is supposed to be my "Off week" so I'll be doing lighter reps and also more cardio.

I'm going to stick with this routine for a while as I definitely feel like I am making some pretty big gains (to be expected since I have never really done any serious lifting). I'd definitely recommend it.

GazzyG
01-30-2011, 02:48 PM
I've heard about people using chalk. I was wondering if that also helps guard against calluses?

Hah! Nope, unfortunately not. If anything my calluses have gotten worse since I started using chalk.

Just something you have to cope with I'm afraid,

I've been told by other lifters that using gloves just reduces your grip to sub-optimal levels once you get to heavy deadlifts. Hence I stopped using mine.

Besides, the look of fear that crosses someone's face when you shake hands with them and they feel your leathery, worn man-hands.... priceless.

matthewalan8
01-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Hah! Nope, unfortunately not. If anything my calluses have gotten worse since I started using chalk.

Just something you have to cope with I'm afraid,

I've been told by other lifters that using gloves just reduces your grip to sub-optimal levels once you get to heavy deadlifts. Hence I stopped using mine.

Besides, the look of fear that crosses someone's face when you shake hands with them and they feel your leathery, worn man-hands.... priceless.

Bummer, I'll probably try out chalk first and see if my hands do alright with that. I mean I've had calluses before but I see to get them worse than anyone else that I know while weight lifting. If my calluses do get worse I'll probably just try out the NewGrip. If that doesn't work out I'll just have to deal with it :)

GreggNJ
01-30-2011, 03:25 PM
This happens.

It helps a LOT!

I'm at this point in my deadlift as well. Just the slightest bit of sweat kills my grip and the bar doesn't want to come up with me. I'm going to give chalk a try as well - I've never used it before....so we'll see.

the pope
01-31-2011, 06:09 AM
you should gave hand straps ago, i use them when me grip goes

matthewalan8
02-04-2011, 03:32 AM
you should gave hand straps ago, i use them when me grip goes

I'm definitely willing to try whatever it takes. Thanks for the tip.

For those wondering, I haven't been slacking however this is my "rest" week so I have still been getting to the gym and doing much of the same things, just not pushing for max, but trying to do more reps. I've also started to mix in cardio.

This week will conclude my first month in the program and I feel like I am making gains. I still need to get my diet in check, but I am also doing better with that as well. I still have the belly fat, but I have been able to see a bit of growth in my chest, shoulders and arms (albeit, not a lot since it has only been a month). Also, I will be adding in cardio -- shooting for 3 times a week with that on top of my lifting.

Here's the workouts this week...

matthewalan8
02-04-2011, 03:36 AM
DAY 14

Flat Bench
95 x 10 (warm-up)
115 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
135 x 6

Pull-Ups (Assisted)
150 x 6
150 x 6
165 x 6
165 x 6

Dips (Assisted)
120 x 6
120 x 6
135 x 6

Finished this workout with 15 minutes on the treadmill at 6mph. All I had time for before work.

matthewalan8
02-04-2011, 03:42 AM
DAY 15

Squats
45 x 6
95 x 6
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
135 x 6

Was really working on better form with these

Calf Raises - Neutral, Inward and Outward stances
225 x 6 (3)
315 x 6 (3)

Two-Leg Hamstring Curls - Skipped Rack Pulls today to give hands rest as well. Saturday I'll be doing DL's.
10 x 6
25 x 6
35 x 6
65 x 6
80 x 6

Barbell Curls
80 x 6
80 x 6
100 x 6

15 Minutes on elliptical @ 155 HR

Bradruss
02-04-2011, 05:22 AM
well done for choosing HCT12. I'm doing it also, although the last few weeks I've be scraping thorugh due to a virus.

Are you doing the clusters as your last log does not mention them?

I found that eating more helps with this program

Good luck!

matthewalan8
02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
well done for choosing HCT12. I'm doing it also, although the last few weeks I've be scraping thorugh due to a virus.

Are you doing the clusters as your last log does not mention them?

I found that eating more helps with this program

Good luck!

Yes thanks for pointing that out. I am doing the clusters, I just forgot to add them in (posted it pretty late last night).

I have been eating a ton, but one issue is that I am eating the wrong foods. Working on changing that around.

matthewalan8
02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
DAY 16

A couple of workouts to post for this week, so let's get started! I felt pretty good coming off of my week of rest and I think my numbers show it.

Flat Bench
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 3 (PR) -- Last attempt at this weight I was only able to do 1 of these
155 x 6
165 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Pull-Ups (Assisted)
150 x 6
135 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 -- Not progressing as much as I'd like here, I may try something else

Dips (Assited)
120 x 6
105 x 6
90 x 2 (PR)
105 x 2 x 2 x 2

Mid Row
125 x 6
155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Hammer Shoulder Press
100 x 6
120 x 6
140 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Added in 12 minutes on the treadmill at 6mph

matthewalan8
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
DAY 17

Got a late start today, so I only had enough time for the essentials of today. I cut out the rack-pulls (Doing DL on Saturday) and the abs (I can do some ab work later tonight)

Squats
135 x 6
185 x 6
205 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Calf Raises -- Neutral, Inwards and Outward stances on all
225 x 6 (3)
315 x 6 (3)
405 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (3)

Barbell Curl
90 x 6
100 x 6
120 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR) -- Was barely able to get the last one up on each set. Perfect!

matthewalan8
02-16-2011, 06:15 PM
DAY 18

So last week I had to skip the last two workouts because I was moving AND bought a new car on Sunday so it was quite a hectic time. However, I definitely got a good workout in while moving all of those boxes (down three flights of stairs and my new bedroom is up one flight of stairs).

I'll post yesterday's workout first and then the next post will be today's.

Flat Bench
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6
175 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Lat Pull-Downs - Decided to try something new because I wasn't improving very much with the assisted pull-ups.
100 x 6
130 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Dips (Assisted)
120 x 6
105 x 6
90 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Mid Row
125 x 6
140 x 6
155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 -- Had bad form on the last few of these. May need to go down in weight until I get the form corrected.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
100 x 6
120 x 6
140 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

matthewalan8
02-16-2011, 06:20 PM
DAY 19

Ran a bit short on time today, had to skip out on Rack Pulls

Squats
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 6
215 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Calf Raises -- Neutral, Outward and Inward stance on all, as always
225 x 6 (3)
315 x 6 (3) x 2 x 2 x 2

Ran short on time with these, normally go up to 405, but had to skip it today.

Ab Crunch Machine
100 x 6
110 x 6
120 x 6
130 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Barbell Curls
90 x 6
100 x 6
100 x 6
120 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

GazzyG
02-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Nice workout mate, great job on the squats.

matthewalan8
02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Nice workout mate, great job on the squats.

Thanks! Been working hard at them and my knees have kinda mentally held me back. I've always had knee issues from a couple of decades playing soccer so squats scare the bejesus out of me. Just taking it slowly -- I have large, strong legs and I know I can do more but really just making sure my knees are gonna go along for the ride.

I have a few workouts to post here. Been a bit under the weather lately so sometimes I cut things out of my workouts -- but I try and make sure I get the major lifts done.

DAY 20

Flat Bench
135 x 6
155 x 6
175 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Flat Bench - Wide Grip (Just for fun)
135 x 6

HS Pull Downs
90 x 6
180 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 -- Poor form on this. Gonna drop the weight and make a more gradual increase next time.

Dips (Assisted)
120 x 6
105 x 6
90 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

HS Shoulder Press
120 x 6
140 x 6
160 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

matthewalan8
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
DAY 21

Squats
135 x 6
175 x 6
225 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 (PR)

Dead Lifts (Because I hadn't done them in a while)
135 x 6
155 x 6
175 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Barbell Curls
90 x 6
100 x 6
120 x 6

That was it for me today. Didn't have much left in me this day.

matthewalan8
02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
DAY 22

Flat Bench
135 x 6
155 x 6
175 x 5 (Fail)
155 x 2 x 2 x 2

Apparently still weak from my cold/flu

HS Pull Downs
90 x 6
110 x 6
130 x 6
140 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2 -- Much better form this time

Dips (Assisted)
120 x 6
90 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

HS Low Row
90 x 6
110 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

HS Shoulder Press
60 (2) x 6
70 (2) x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

the pope
02-24-2011, 02:13 AM
that flu is a killer, looking good on the squats and bench

NITF
03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey, this is a great thread and I've enjoyed reading over it. I am no expert but from what experience I have and everything I've read, you really need to be squaring your diet away. I've noticed you omit your diet from your journal, which is probably okay for a non-beginner, but you're an admitted newb so my advice would be to detail something about your diet in your journal. This should keep you accountable, but also better allow you to track your caloric intake. What are you using now to make sure you're getting in enough protein, crabs, fats etc.?
Just my two cents.

oh, and don't forget to read http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/eating-optimally-for-massive-size-and-strength/