PDA

View Full Version : Kind of Big Dude's DC Training log

mchicia1
01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
First day of the new program....figured it was a good day to start since I will have 2 days off before I need to go again.

Little background...

I did 5/3/1 since the end of spring and made slow but steady gains. I used it to get my lifts up to a pretty respectable level, recently hitting 320 pounds on the bench and close to 400/500 on squats/dls. The problem is that I don't really look like I can bench over 300 pounds so I my new goals are now completely size oriented. I want to become a muscular 250 pounder over the next 6 months and I am going to use the 3 day per week, 2 way dc training regimen.

01/07/11

Bench: 11-15 RP
275x1
255x9+3+2

I felt weird warming up so I needed one moderately heavy single to really gauge what my starting point would be on this program. 275 felt extremely light so I figured 255 was a good start and in the process I actually hit a new PR of 9 reps at this weight. If I plug that into the calculator thats a 1RM of 331..not a bad start!

Neutral Pullups - 11-15 RP
Bodyweight 238
+25x12+4+3

Hammer Shoulder Press - 11-15 RP
Weight is in just the plates
180x8+3+1

These were harder than I thought. My right arm was very strong on it but the left arm was lagging behind. This indicates that I should pick a DB exercise for my shoulders as the 3rd exercise.

Skullcrushers - 20-25 RP
115x15+6+4

Deadlifts
365x9
315x12

Going to admit that I mentally failed before I physically failed on the 2nd set of deadlifts. I felt like I could barely breathe after the 12th rep...was pretty smoked by this time from all the other stuff. I think I could have hit 20 before I hit actual physical failure, oh well. I will do better next time.

Some thoughts...

1) I really, really enjoyed this workout. It was quick and ****ing INTENSE as HELL. I absolutely HATE doing set after set of the same weight/reps. I love not knowing what I am going to get during a set and just challenging myself.

2) I am extremely sore already and I totally see why you need extra recovery on this.

chevelle2291
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
1st. Awesome.

Edit: You're doing deadlifts from the floor for thickness? Do deads affect you at all for squats?

StLRPh
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM
solid start Mike

mchicia1
01-07-2011, 07:01 PM
1st. Awesome.

Edit: You're doing deadlifts from the floor for thickness? Do deads affect you at all for squats?

Good question...yes they do actually, if I don't get at least 3 days off. Thats why I will do Lunges for my 1st leg workout after Deadlifts. My other back thickness exercises are barbell rows and smith rows or t-bar rows on the last week. I will do my squats after one of those instead.

solid start Mike

Thanks dude...never felt my muscles this broken down like they are right now. Normally after a workout I generally feel like I could do that workout again in an hour. Not this time! Thanks for those articles too, they helped a lot.

chevelle2291
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Good question...yes they do actually, if I don't get at least 3 days off. Thats why I will do Lunges for my 1st leg workout after Deadlifts. My other back thickness exercises are barbell rows and smith rows or t-bar rows on the last week. I will do my squats after one of those instead.

Okay that makes sense. How did the extreme stretching go? Is your wife spotting you on bench and such other free weight lifts?

Are you following the DC protein intake recommendations as well.

mchicia1
01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Okay that makes sense. How did the extreme stretching go? Is your wife spotting you on bench and such other free weight lifts?

Are you following the DC protein intake recommendations as well.

I only had time to do the chest extreme stretch because I was handling my wife's workout too. I hated it...it hurt and felt like I was going to tear a rotator cuff. I will do all of the stretches for next time.

For the protein intake, I am not going to take in 500-600 like he recommends but I am going to go for 400+ and also I will abide by the carb cutoff rule.

chevelle2291
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I only had time to do the chest extreme stretch because I was handling my wife's workout too. I hated it...it hurt and felt like I was going to tear a rotator cuff. I will do all of the stretches for next time.

For the protein intake, I am not going to take in 500-600 like he recommends but I am going to go for 400+ and also I will abide by the carb cutoff rule.

Aight good deal. 400+ should be fine, I read somewhere that he only recommends 1.5 or so grams for natural trainees. We can't synthesize as much as the assisted guys.

StLRPh
01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
contrast showers will be your friend

mchicia1
01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Aight good deal. 400+ should be fine, I read somewhere that he only recommends 1.5 or so grams for natural trainees. We can't synthesize as much as the assisted guys.

Well considering I was only at like 150-180 grams and I still made gains and never stalled, I think I will make *serious* gains on 400/day.

And to answer your other question, yes my Wife spots me. With the rep ranges in the 8-10 range, the weight should never be too heavy for her to help it off of me. I don't like her spotting me on 315+ though.

chevelle2291
01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Well considering I was only at like 150-180 grams and I still made gains and never stalled, I think I will make *serious* gains on 400/day.

And to answer your other question, yes my Wife spots me. With the rep ranges in the 8-10 range, the weight should never be too heavy for her to help it off of me. I don't like her spotting me on 315+ though.

Good deal. Nice to have a dedicated lifting partner, eh? My eventual DC training will be nearly all machines when it comes to heavy pressing. Hate training with other people. :p

mchicia1
01-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Heres a question...

Are bicep tears more likely on deadlifts doing 1-3 reps with heavy ass weight, or high reps with moderately heavy weight? I have pulled with a mixed grip for 2 years now and have been seeing a lot of torn bicep videos lately. Since I am primarily using this movement for bodybuilding purposes, I think it may be wise to switch to double overhand with straps. Thoughts?

Behemoth
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Heres a question...

Are bicep tears more likely on deadlifts doing 1-3 reps with heavy ass weight, or high reps with moderately heavy weight? I have pulled with a mixed grip for 2 years now and have been seeing a lot of torn bicep videos lately. Since I am primarily using this movement for bodybuilding purposes, I think it may be wise to switch to double overhand with straps. Thoughts?

Heavy weight is more likely to pull one without question.

Off Road
01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Crap, you started a new thread. Glad I found it and nice start.

ELmx479
01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I like the DC training idea. Never looked into too much so I don't know about the stretching or recommended diet. It will be interesting to follow you and your progress to see how it works for you. Good luck!

Coke
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Seeing you in the 250lb range would be great, even lower would be impressive while remaining lean.

Good luck with this new plan.

chevelle2291
01-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Interesting topic with the deadlifts and torn biceps. I know Dante advocates rowing with an overhand grip and straps for many exercises. I'm beginning to think more and more that a double-over strapped would be best for heavy deadlifts. I haven't done a serious deadlift with straps in a while, however. I use them almost exclusively for stiff-legged deads.

LuNa
01-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Good luck with the DC program, with your strength you should see some good gains.

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Heavy weight is more likely to pull one without question.

That's what I figured. What about off balance muscle development since one hand is supinated?

Crap, you started a new thread. Glad I found it and nice start.

Thanks dude. Yeah I graduated from skinny to kind of big, so a new thread was in order. LOL, no I just wanted to separate my training logs so they could be reviewed easier.

I like the DC training idea. Never looked into too much so I don't know about the stretching or recommended diet. It will be interesting to follow you and your progress to see how it works for you. Good luck!

The extreme stretching is just one really hard 60 second ,intense stretch right after you workout the target muscle. Example would be after bench press, I would go into the fly position with a weight that I cannot fly one time, and hold it for 60 seconds. Dante doesn't advocate thinking too much about macro percentages....he advocates generally eating clean food, but a lot of it and believes in carb cutoffs and cardio to burn off the fat. One thing you must do is get in TONS of protein though. I got to all my lifts in my sig on like 200g a day, which is not a lot at all. So I am interested to see how it goes doubling that number. I absolutely HATE cardio, but I am going to try to mix it in on the weekends to start and gradually work it into every off day during the week.

Here is how the carb cutoff started for me...Normally I just eat carbs all day and night, like even before bed I will have 2-3 glasses of milk. I tried stopping this 5 hours before bed and had a 2 scoop nitrean shake instead. Well I woke up at 4:30AM absolutely STARVING. Like more hungry than I have ever been in the last X amount of years. I went downstairs and engorged myself with 2 glasses of milk and 8 ****ing cookies. So much for carb cutoff...I think that snack was like 1000 of ****ty, worthless calories.

Seeing you in the 250lb range would be great, even lower would be impressive while remaining lean.

Good luck with this new plan.
Thanks Terry. 250 would be awesome, or 240 lean (long way off from lean though). I don't want to change my diet because I haven't plateaued in like a year but I am going to try some extra cardio to see if that does anything.

Interesting topic with the deadlifts and torn biceps. I know Dante advocates rowing with an overhand grip and straps for many exercises. I'm beginning to think more and more that a double-over strapped would be best for heavy deadlifts. I haven't done a serious deadlift with straps in a while, however. I use them almost exclusively for stiff-legged deads.

Yeah I think I will use them for stiff legged deads since its uncomfortable on my left shoulder holding a supinated grip for 15+ reps.

Good luck with the DC program, with your strength you should see some good gains.

Thank you sir.

Behemoth
01-10-2011, 08:06 AM
That's what I figured. What about off balance muscle development since one hand is supinated?

It's logical to think that would happen, but really it never does. Your forearms are going to get pretty much equal stress and stimulation when mixed. And the supinated bicep gets so little that your next set of rows or pullups are pretty much going to negate it IMO.

StLRPh
01-10-2011, 08:29 AM
If you have a bodybuilding goal, I'm not sure why you wouldn't use straps and an overhand grip. Go for it.

LuNa
01-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Here is how the carb cutoff started for me...Normally I just eat carbs all day and night, like even before bed I will have 2-3 glasses of milk. I tried stopping this 5 hours before bed and had a 2 scoop nitrean shake instead. Well I woke up at 4:30AM absolutely STARVING. Like more hungry than I have ever been in the last X amount of years. I went downstairs and engorged myself with 2 glasses of milk and 8 ****ing cookies. So much for carb cutoff...I think that snack was like 1000 of ****ty, worthless calories.

I had sort of the same thing when i started a carb cut-off. I used to have cottage cheese for bed but switched to a protein shake as it has close to no carbs. Due to the extra water i keep waking up in the middle of the night to use the toilet. Lucky for me i dont have to pass any foods as i feel pretty hungry as well.

I think you will get used to it though.

Behemoth
01-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I dieted with pretty restricted carbs in 2008 and found I couldn't sleep unless I ate a banana RIGHT before bed... Better sleep/more sleep > the worst that 30g carbs could possibly do. Especially since I'd likely have gotten up after a few hours of tossing and turning and eaten some sort of junk anyhow...

No carbs before bed is fine in theory. But don't get too hung up on it if it complicates things...

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 09:16 AM
I dieted with pretty restricted carbs in 2008 and found I couldn't sleep unless I ate a banana RIGHT before bed... Better sleep/more sleep > the worst that 30g carbs could possibly do. Especially since I'd likely have gotten up after a few hours of tossing and turning and eaten some sort of junk anyhow...

No carbs before bed is fine in theory. But don't get too hung up on it if it complicates things...

Yeah its not like im competing or anything, I just want to get a *lot* bigger while keeping my bodyfat relatively the same. I will mix the protein with milk and see how that goes. Or hell, maybe I will do a 4 scoop nitrean instead. Thanks dude.

If you have a bodybuilding goal, I'm not sure why you wouldn't use straps and an overhand grip. Go for it.

I think I will! I realized the past 8 months the gains one can get if they stay 100% injury free and I want to keep it that way.

I had sort of the same thing when i started a carb cut-off. I used to have cottage cheese for bed but switched to a protein shake as it has close to no carbs. Due to the extra water i keep waking up in the middle of the night to use the toilet. Lucky for me i dont have to pass any foods as i feel pretty hungry as well.

I think you will get used to it though.

LOL...if I feel the slightest bit of hunger, I simply cannot sleep. DC training is really rigorous too, it left me hungry for 2 days straight after Friday's workout. Today I am finally feeling normal again.

chevelle2291
01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah its not like im competing or anything, I just want to get a *lot* bigger while keeping my bodyfat relatively the same. I will mix the protein with milk and see how that goes. Or hell, maybe I will do a 4 scoop nitrean instead. Thanks dude.

So you're shooting for 300lb. bw then? :evillaugh:

I think I will! I realized the past 8 months the gains one can get if they stay 100% injury free and I want to keep it that way.

LOL...if I feel the slightest bit of hunger, I simply cannot sleep. DC training is really rigorous too, it left me hungry for 2 days straight after Friday's workout. Today I am finally feeling normal again.

I'm the same way with the hunger. I'd try a big shake full of nitrean and maybe put some olive oil in there too. That seems to work for me.

Although I'll admit that I caved last night and ate two big-ass slices of pumpkin pie with 60g of whey lol

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
11/10/11

DC Lower/Biceps

Leg Press
6Plates x 10
4Plates x 30

Too light weight on the widowmaker, so I pushed it past 20 and went all the way to failure at 30 reps.

Leg Press Calves
4Plates x 10 about 5 second eccentric and 5 second pause. Absolutely BRUTAL BRUTAL BRUTAL exercise.

Curl Machine
115 x 10 + 2 + 2
Can tell right away my biceps need some work. They have zero endurance whatsoever since I never trained them hard before. I am expecting large gains in the bicep region.

Good Mornings
185x10, belted
135x20, beltless

Standing Abs
125x15
112x20

Hammer DB Curls
40's x 16

Did all 3 extreme stretches and I am extremely sore from this workout already.

Off Road
01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
30 reps = BRUTAL!

cphafner
01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
love seeing DC journals. I have done DC off and on over the last few years. I'm no expert, but have read countless threads on intensemuscle.com (which you should read if you haven't) and have the DC training DVD. If you ever have questions feel to bounce them off me.

StLRPh
01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
nothing wrong with going to 30 reps on a widowmaker, and good luck walking tomorrow :evillaugh:

chevelle2291
01-10-2011, 07:23 PM
11/10/11

DC Lower/Biceps

Leg Press
6Plates x 10
4Plates x 30

Too light weight on the widowmaker, so I pushed it past 20 and went all the way to failure at 30 reps.

Leg Press Calves
4Plates x 10 about 5 second eccentric and 5 second pause. Absolutely BRUTAL BRUTAL BRUTAL exercise.

Curl Machine
115 x 10 + 2 + 2
Can tell right away my biceps need some work. They have zero endurance whatsoever since I never trained them hard before. I am expecting large gains in the bicep region.

Good Mornings
185x10, belted
135x20, beltless

Standing Abs
125x15
112x20

Hammer DB Curls
40's x 16

Did all 3 extreme stretches and I am extremely sore from this workout already.

Good ****. Just did a 50-rep widowmaker myself. Murder.

Why the quads at the beginning of the workout though? Quads/hams supposed to be at the end of the workout, right?

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
nothing wrong with going to 30 reps on a widowmaker, and good luck walking tomorrow :evillaugh:

LOL, I think it will just get worse as I add weight. One thing I like about the leg press is that you can push it WAY past mental failure. I remember it started to feel hard around the 15 rep mark.

love seeing DC journals. I have done DC off and on over the last few years. I'm no expert, but have read countless threads on intensemuscle.com (which you should read if you haven't) and have the DC training DVD. If you ever have questions feel to bounce them off me.

Yeah I have been over there for the last 2 months reading as much as I could. I became so interested in it, that I dropped 5/3/1 completely and switched :).

30 reps = BRUTAL!
Not nearly as bad a 20 rep squat though...not looking forward to that on Friday.

Good ****. Just did a 50-rep widowmaker myself. Murder.

Why the quads at the beginning of the workout though? Quads/hams supposed to be at the end of the workout, right?

This workout didn't have anything that would destroy me for the entire workout. Leg Press isnt bad at all. However, I will do the lunges and squats at the end when they come up just like I already did with the deadlifts. Leg press is still an isolation type movement to me, as it doesnt kill my whole body.

LuNa
01-11-2011, 02:16 AM
That is really good looking session. I am very interested in DC but i still have so long to go before my strength gets to a point where DC will be beneficial.

joey54
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Get your exercises in order.

Upper
Chest
Shoulders
Tris
Back Width
Back Thickness

Lower
Bis
Forearms
Calves
Hamstrings
Quads

Lower your weight and up your rep range with bench. Go back down to 205 and shoot for 30 rp reps. Trust me on that one. Do the double overhand grip with straps for deads as suggested. Do abs on your days in between, imho. Eat like your life depends on it. Schedule your squats the opposite week of full deads and use machines for your other 2 leg movements(ie leg press and hacks). Good mornings as an exercise for hams might be tough to progress on. Good luck!

mchicia1
01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Get your exercises in order.

Upper
Chest
Shoulders
Tris
Back Width
Back Thickness

Lower
Bis
Forearms
Calves
Hamstrings
Quads

Lower your weight and up your rep range with bench. Go back down to 205 and shoot for 30 rp reps. Trust me on that one. Do the double overhand grip with straps for deads as suggested. Do abs on your days in between, imho. Eat like your life depends on it. Schedule your squats the opposite week of full deads and use machines for your other 2 leg movements(ie leg press and hacks). Good mornings as an exercise for hams might be tough to progress on. Good luck!

Yeah definitely getting the straps for deads. I want to use machines for the other two quad movements but my gym only has leg press, nothing else. Any ideas? I was going to use lunges.

Why lower the weight on bench? Is it because its a lift that easily stalls? I thought you were supposed to shoot for 11-15 rest pause on bench related movements and progress in weight? I hit 14 my first day, which is at the top of the range. I was going to jump up to 265 next time depending how I felt. My blasts are going to only be 6-8 weeks, so I will only bench 3-4 times. Wouldn't it take forever to progress starting back from 205? Or do you jump up a lot of weight at a time?

And yes I am putting my squats well after my deads, not messing with that lol. Will be doing them Friday, so thats a full week rest since deads.

mchicia1
01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
11/12/11

DC Upper

Military Press
135x11+2+2

Rack Chins - Bodyweight 241 (nice)
+35 x 12 + 6 + 4
Kind of an awkward movement...the ez bar hits the smith machine as you go up. Forearms/Biceps gave out before back.

Decline Hammer Chest
250x13+5+3
May have been 4 on the 2nd set, I forgot.

Barbell Rows
185x11, Pendlay - Index on rings
135x17, 45 degrees, pinkies on rings
Felt the 135 set WAY more in the back, I may do both sets this style.

Reverse Grip Bench
For tracking purposes, assuming smith bar is 45 pounds (its not)
185x16+6+6
Awkward movement, when you roll the smith off its upright, your wrists go at an odd angle. Any tips? Start with the wrists offset maybe so when I spin the smith out my wrists go straight?

Did all the extreme stretches except the tricep one because it puts my shoulder in a painful position (I have very lax shoulder joints).

This workout was way easier than the first one. I need to bring a physical log book because I keep forgetting some of my rest paused sets.

chevelle2291
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
11/12/11

DC Upper

Military Press
135x11+2+2

Rack Chins - Bodyweight 241 (nice)
+35 x 12 + 6 + 4
Kind of an awkward movement...the ez bar hits the smith machine as you go up. Forearms/Biceps gave out before back.

Decline Hammer Chest
250x13+5+3
May have been 4 on the 2nd set, I forgot.

Barbell Rows
185x11, Pendlay - Index on rings
135x17, 45 degrees, pinkies on rings
Felt the 135 set WAY more in the back, I may do both sets this style.

Reverse Grip Bench
For tracking purposes, assuming smith bar is 45 pounds (its not)
185x16+6+6
Awkward movement, when you roll the smith off its upright, your wrists go at an odd angle. Any tips? Start with the wrists offset maybe so when I spin the smith out my wrists go straight?

Did all the extreme stretches except the tricep one because it puts my shoulder in a painful position (I have very lax shoulder joints).

This workout was way easier than the first one. I need to bring a physical log book because I keep forgetting some of my rest paused sets.

Good stuff. NEED to either use your phone/mp3 player for tracking workouts or use a physical logbook. I find using the phone works best for me. YMMV.

Off Road
01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Very cool. I like those presses and I love doing rack chins. Really hits my back hard, but I agree it's an awkward movement.

cphafner
01-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Rack chins are awesome once you get the hang of them.

Do you have any hack squats machines or anything other than leg press machines? I don't think lunges will be a good choice for DC personally

mchicia1
01-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Very cool. I like those presses and I love doing rack chins. Really hits my back hard, but I agree it's an awkward movement.

Thanks, first time I did military in 6 weeks so I wasn't expecting to get 10+.

Rack chins are awesome once you get the hang of them.

Do you have any hack squats machines or anything other than leg press machines? I don't think lunges will be a good choice for DC personally

Nope :(. My gym is under equipped. Why would lunges be bad?

mchicia1
01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
What about smith squats?

joey54
01-13-2011, 04:52 AM
I would use them in place of squats when you stall there. DC recommends the higher rep range on the barbell bench. 20-30 reps rp liked db movents.

joey54
01-13-2011, 05:08 AM
I would use them in place of squats when you stall there. DC recommends the higher rep range on the barbell bench. 20-30 reps rp liked db movents.

mchicia1
01-13-2011, 07:51 AM

That doesnt make sense to me. What is the difference between incline and flat bench in terms of ability to lift in the 11-15 rep range?

StLRPh
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Nice work, the first few sessions are going to be learning experiences. Lots of new exercises and variations. You're going very good

mchicia1
01-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Nice work, the first few sessions are going to be learning experiences. Lots of new exercises and variations. You're going very good

Thanks man..

Yeah I haven't really felt like I have hit a groove yet...I am sure it will take a couple of cycles of each exercise.

mchicia1
01-14-2011, 06:14 PM
11/14/11

DC Lower

Incline Bench DB Curls
40's x 12 + 3 + 2

Over extended myself a bit, wanted to get 20 reps on the 1st set. Will keep weight same and go up in reps next time.

SLDL's
275x12
225x15

Legs were shaking violently after the 2nd set.

Reverse Cable Curls
40x28 each arm. Starting with weaker arm(left) and matching reps with stronger arm to keep things balanced.

Brutal Squats
315x8 (not bad?)
185x20 (horrific)

Ok so...I was happy with the 315x8. I hadn't squatted in like 3 weeks and usually my squat diminishes badly in a time frame like this, since its my worst lift. Well it didn't. Then I went for the 20 repper....I know my legs have 225+ in them, but I didn't want to go too crazy for the first time doing them in 3 years. So I get to rep 13 and I am like HOLY **** MY BACK IS PUMPING SO BAD. My legs didn't feel much but my lower back was pumping so hard I could barely breathe. Nonethless, I grinded my way to 20 reps. Is this normal? Are 20 rep squats supposed to hit your lower back more than your legs or am I just not built for this? Would I be better off doing heavier weight so my legs fail before my back??

Standing Machine Calves
100x15 (BRUTAL BRUTAL BRUTAL BRUTALLL!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Aside from squats, hardest thing on leg days doing them with the pause at the bottom.

Decline Abs
35x13
BWx20

Hardest workout on DC so far. However, I have been under the weather and I did work on a car for 6 hours yesterday til 1am. Today I actually fell asleep in my cubicle by accident for 10 minutes so that probably had an effect on today's workout. Had to take a nitor and drink a coffee to get through it. Was going to start my cardio tomorrow morning but I need the sleep bad.

chevelle2291
01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I always get pretty big lower back pumps from squatting. It is rare for me to feel much of a pump in my quads at all for free bar squats. Because of this, I PREFER the leg press for quads, but I still DO front and back squats as I think they are great overall mass builders.

Any chance you could switch in a sled hack squat or leg press or something? I'd say front squats but progression may be an issue there unless you have a stingray or something.

mchicia1
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I always get pretty big lower back pumps from squatting. It is rare for me to feel much of a pump in my quads at all for free bar squats. Because of this, I PREFER the leg press for quads, but I still DO front and back squats as I think they are great overall mass builders.

Any chance you could switch in a sled hack squat or leg press or something? I'd say front squats but progression may be an issue there unless you have a stingray or something.

My gym doesn't have enough variety for me to do my widowmaker on another machine. I am having enough trouble even finding a 3rd quad exercise. Its either lunges or smith machine squats.

On another note, I am up in weight since I started DC last Friday. Time to mix in some cardio LOL. I went from 235 to 241 (yikes). I know I have only done 4 workouts, but I swear to god I look more muscular in clothes. Out of clothes, to me, I honestly look skinny. I know thats hard to believe, but my arms and legs are so god damned long I think I will need to get to 275 to actually look like a bodybuilder :(. Its a bit discouraging, not going to lie. But I think it would look pretty awesome to be a big and ripped tall guy. This will take another 3 years at least though and thats assuming I don't get injured. I feel like if I keep doing these 20 rep squats that I will get injured eventually. Im going to post on intensemuscle to see if its smarter to do a heavier backdown set so my legs fail before my back.

cphafner
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
you can do two different quad exercises on the same day if squats are too tough for high rep work

joey54
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
you can do two different quad exercises on the same day if squats are too tough for high rep work

Yeah, but that was recommended for guys squatting in the 500-600 range on their heavy set too.

The barbell bench rp recommendation is because of the nature of the exercise. Inherently, the exercise is more dangerous than the incline, hence the higher rep range. DC doesn't even recommend using this exercise at all due to its potential for pec tears and the such.

mchicia1
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, but that was recommended for guys squatting in the 500-600 range on their heavy set too.

The barbell bench rp recommendation is because of the nature of the exercise. Inherently, the exercise is more dangerous than the incline, hence the higher rep range. DC doesn't even recommend using this exercise at all due to its potential for pec tears and the such.

I hear ya...

I doubt I will tear a pec with my powerlifting style and the weight I am using now though. I will switch it out next blast though. Worked too hard on bench to get it to 3 plates to just stop doing it and I would lose too much strength on it if I drop the weight down to 205.

Yeah I know that, its not that I can't mentally do the widowmaker. Its that I question the purpose. It seems my lower back is what I am working, not my legs. Obviously the legs get worked, but I am no where near leg failure. I am pretty sure that it has everything to do with my body proportions. I am not a great squatter...just don't have the mechanical leverage for it. Short torso, extremely long legs = extreme back angle. Pretty sure this is why my lower back gets smoked.

chevelle2291
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I hear ya...

I doubt I will tear a pec with my powerlifting style and the weight I am using now though. I will switch it out next blast though. Worked too hard on bench to get it to 3 plates to just stop doing it and I would lose too much strength on it if I drop the weight down to 205.

Yeah I know that, its not that I can't mentally do the widowmaker. Its that I question the purpose. It seems my lower back is what I am working, not my legs. Obviously the legs get worked, but I am no where near leg failure. I am pretty sure that it has everything to do with my body proportions. I am not a great squatter...just don't have the mechanical leverage for it. Short torso, extremely long legs = extreme back angle. Pretty sure this is why my lower back gets smoked.

I am having deja-vu with you discussing your squatting. I seem to have the same problem as you, although I'm not nearly as tall as you are I have long limbs and a short torso. Makes squatting interesting to say the least. For that reason, I prefer leg presses and enjoy sled hack squats.

I say do what you prefer with regards to the quad exercises. I doubt you are really going to risk injury doing widowmakers on squats, but hey it's your body I'm sure you know how to listen to it.

I think you are going to find, tho, that with an ill-equipped gym DC is going to be frustrating at times simply because you don't have access to different types of equipment. If I were you I'd look into switching gyms if you are serious about DC. If not, I'd look into doing HCT-12. It's a similar routine and will be a good primer for DC in the future I would think.

Edit: I'd also listen to Joey a bit more when he gives ya advice. I mean, dude's a mod and has done DC numerous times in the past--I think he knows how to successfully implement DC training. Not saying you're ignoring him, but if he tells ya to drop the weight or switch up exercises or whatever I'd listen. Yea, yea, I know--all this coming from the guy who can barely stay on a routine for three months. :p

Off Road
01-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Your low back is probably pumped from standing with the weight for a long period. 20 reppers are tough, they should make your low back pumped, and your legs too. Maybe experiment with stance and bar placement.

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I am having deja-vu with you discussing your squatting. I seem to have the same problem as you, although I'm not nearly as tall as you are I have long limbs and a short torso. Makes squatting interesting to say the least. For that reason, I prefer leg presses and enjoy sled hack squats.

I say do what you prefer with regards to the quad exercises. I doubt you are really going to risk injury doing widowmakers on squats, but hey it's your body I'm sure you know how to listen to it.

I think you are going to find, tho, that with an ill-equipped gym DC is going to be frustrating at times simply because you don't have access to different types of equipment. If I were you I'd look into switching gyms if you are serious about DC. If not, I'd look into doing HCT-12. It's a similar routine and will be a good primer for DC in the future I would think.

Edit: I'd also listen to Joey a bit more when he gives ya advice. I mean, dude's a mod and has done DC numerous times in the past--I think he knows how to successfully implement DC training. Not saying you're ignoring him, but if he tells ya to drop the weight or switch up exercises or whatever I'd listen. Yea, yea, I know--all this coming from the guy who can barely stay on a routine for three months. :p

No, I am sticking with DC as long as I can. I don't like jumping around on routines, I make no progress that way.

And Joey has given me a lot of advice and I have always listed to it. I am being stubborn on the bench because I worked so hard to get to 3 plates and I don't want to lose that.

Kiff
01-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice work on the squats mate, the 20 rep club is expanding every day. I find my glutes hurt the most not my back...

GL with DC if you chose that path.

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
I have some news...

I was getting a bit discouraged because I love DC so far and my local ballys is just not very equipped. So today, I went gym hunting. I first looked at a local powerlifting gym and while it had great benches and squat racks, it was ill-equipped for a bodybuilder. Then I went to the local LA fitness, which is right next to my house. I was amazed...it had literally ever apparatus possible. 4 squat racks, 4 benches, DBs up to 130, all the hammer strength machines and its only 26 a month for me and my wife and its .5 miles from the Ballys.

Therefore, I am proud to announce, that I am switching gyms!

Now the question is, since I am dealing with all new equipment, should I restart my blast or pickup where I left off?

Off Road
01-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Cool that you found a new gym. I would have stopped looking when I walked into the strength gym, but different strokes for different folks. Good luck and have fun trying out all the new toys.

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Cool that you found a new gym. I would have stopped looking when I walked into the strength gym, but different strokes for different folks. Good luck and have fun trying out all the new toys.

The powerlifting gym was great, and I may join that in the future if I ever get more serious about powerlifting. Right now I am all about putting on size though and I would plateau very quickly in that gym. Plus whatever gym I join, my wife has to come as well. She already displayed disgust with the powerlifting gym LOL.

chevelle2291
01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I have some news...

I was getting a bit discouraged because I love DC so far and my local ballys is just not very equipped. So today, I went gym hunting. I first looked at a local powerlifting gym and while it had great benches and squat racks, it was ill-equipped for a bodybuilder. Then I went to the local LA fitness, which is right next to my house. I was amazed...it had literally ever apparatus possible. 4 squat racks, 4 benches, DBs up to 130, all the hammer strength machines and its only 26 a month for me and my wife and its .5 miles from the Ballys.

Now the question is, since I am dealing with all new equipment, should I restart my blast or pickup where I left off?

:)

This is good to hear! I would probably restart it as I think some of the exercises you have (GMings, etc.) are going to be tough to progress on. Restart Monday?

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
:)

This is good to hear! I would probably restart it as I think some of the exercises you have (GMings, etc.) are going to be tough to progress on. Restart Monday?

Yes, I am restarting Monday. Dropping good mornings. I will start back from the bench press again. New gym, new equipment, etc. I bet my bench drops 100 pounds LOL.

chevelle2291
01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, I am restarting Monday. Dropping good mornings. I will start back from the bench press again. New gym, new equipment, etc. I bet my bench drops 100 pounds LOL.

Start back as in dropping the weight or dropping the barbell bench press?

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Start back as in dropping the weight or dropping the barbell bench press?

I dont know yet. Im having a hard time dropping weight or dropping the movement all together for reasons I stated above. It took me a long ass time to reach 3 plates and I don't want to lose that. Any ideas? Maybe I can replace it with incline bench but before doing incline I can work up to a heavy triple on flat or something? I don't want to drop that all together.

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Here is my new and improved blast.

Upper:
Chest: Flat Barbell Bench / Incline DB Press / Hammer Chest Press
Shoulders: Hammer Shoulder Press / DB Shoulder Press / Military Press
Triceps: Skullcrushers / Close Grip Bench / Reverse Grip Smith
Back Width: Neutral Grip Pullups / Rack Chins / Curl Grip Lat Pulldowns
Back Thickness: Barbell Rows / Deadlifts/ T-Bar Rows

Lower:
Quads: Leg Press / Squats / Hack Squat machine
Hamstrings: SLDLs / Sumo Leg Press / Seated Leg Curls
Calves: Leg Press Calves / Standing Machine Calves / Seated Calves
Biceps: Machine Curls / Seated Incline DB Curls / Standing Preacher Bar
Forearms: Hammer Curls / Reverse Grip Cable Curl / Pinwheel Curls
Abs: Standing Rope crunch / Decline bench crunch with bar behind head / ??

Monday:
Flat Barbell Bench (11-15rp)
Neutral Grip Pullups (easier on shoulders) (15-20rp)
Hammer Shoulder Press(15-20rp)
Skullcrushers(20-25rp)
Barbell Rows(heavy 10-15, then 15-20)

Wednesday:
Machine Curls (20-25rp)
Hammer Curls (20-25)
SLDLs (heavy 10-15, then 15-20)
Leg Press (heavy 6-10, 20 repper)
Leg Press Calves (12-15 straight)
Standing Rope crunch (heavy 10-15, then 15-20)

Friday:
Incline DB Press (20-25rp)
Rack Chins (15-20rp)
DB Shoulder Press (20-25rp)
Close Grip Bench (11-15rp) rep range correct???
Deadlifts (6-10 heavy, 9-12 heavy but not as heavy)

Monday:
Seated Incline DB Curls (20-25rp)
Reverse Grip Cable Curl (20-25)
Sumo Leg Press (heavy 10-15, then 15-20)
Squats (heavy 6-10) and then 20 repper on Cybex press
Standing Machine Calves (12-15)
Decline bench crunch with bar behind head (10-15, then 15-20)

Wednesday:
Military Press (15-20rp)
Curl Grip Lat Pulldowns (15-20rp)
Hammer Chest Press (15-20rp)
Reverse Grip Smith (20-25rp)
T-Bar Rows (heavy 6-10, 9-12 heavy but not as heavy)

Friday:
Standing Preacher Bar (20-25rp)
Pinwheel Curls (20-25)
Seated Leg Curls (20-25rp)
Hack Squat machine (heavy 6-10 then widow)
Seated Calves (12-15)
??? Abs

chevelle2291
01-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I dont know yet. Im having a hard time dropping weight or dropping the movement all together for reasons I stated above. It took me a long ass time to reach 3 plates and I don't want to lose that. Any ideas? Maybe I can replace it with incline bench but before doing incline I can work up to a heavy triple on flat or something? I don't want to drop that all together.

You've made phenomenal progress on barbell benching and it's understandable why you want to hold on to that strength. However, you said it yourself that your #1 goal right now is to look very muscular/like a bodybuilder/etc. You'll likely lose some strength on flat barbell bench if you choose another exercise, but really, so what? You'd get back there in time anyways and, if you follow DC, you'll probably blow past 315 at some point and probably be doing it for reps after a while if you continue with barbell flat benching for a chest movement.

I wouldn't deviate from the DC structure. I don't see how the heavy triple idea is going to help you reach your goal of looking jacked. I'd drop the weight back like Joey said or pick another chest exercise and give DC your all. :evillaugh:

m2c.

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
You've made phenomenal progress on barbell benching and it's understandable why you want to hold on to that strength. However, you said it yourself that your #1 goal right now is to look very muscular/like a bodybuilder/etc. You'll likely lose some strength on flat barbell bench if you choose another exercise, but really, so what? You'd get back there in time anyways and, if you follow DC, you'll probably blow past 315 at some point and probably be doing it for reps after a while if you continue with barbell flat benching for a chest movement.

I wouldn't deviate from the DC structure. I don't see how the heavy triple idea is going to help you reach your goal of looking jacked. I'd drop the weight back like Joey said or pick another chest exercise and give DC your all. :evillaugh:

m2c.

Well said, I am taking the plunge and doing incline instead. Thanks dude.

EDIT

I AM EXTREMELY EXCITED

chevelle2291
01-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Well said, I am taking the plunge and doing incline instead. Thanks dude.

EDIT

I AM EXTREMELY EXCITED

Good! This is easily the journal I'm most excited about right now.

What about weighted leg raises (hanging or otherwise) for your third ab exercise? You can use ankle straps and chain to add plates to the movement.

mchicia1
01-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Good! This is easily the journal I'm most excited about right now.

What about weighted leg raises (hanging or otherwise) for your third ab exercise? You can use ankle straps and chain to add plates to the movement.

Good idea, I will try that. They said you don't actually have to cycle ab exercises though. I think the routine is pretty dialed in now. I was torn between standing and seated shoulder press but I think I will start with standing. When it stalls I can just switch to seated. Oh and it will be flat DB bench now since I am doing barbell inclines.

How much does incline bench carry over to flat?

Coke
01-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Glad to hear you found a new facility to train at man, that's great news - go for it!!

mchicia1
01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Glad to hear you found a new facility to train at man, that's great news - go for it!!

Thanks dude, can't wait to lift tomorrow.

Kiff
01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Just a few points mate

I have done incline for about 6 weeks now, did a 1rm on bench and beat my old PR, it did feel a bit odd but oh well.

I have also seen more Hypertrophy in my chest than i did with flat bench...

Also give DC your all, don't change it mate it is like it is for a reason, dont get hung up on a ideal 3 plate press that you dont need. You have done it now your body will not forget that and it will come easier once you finish your DC than it did before.

Also very exciting to have a new gym, maybe a new gym, new equipment will shock the body into some serious growth!

Very exciting cant wait to follow this Journal!

joey54
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
New gym sounds like the place to be. Good plan in place.

LuNa
01-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Just a few points mate

I have done incline for about 6 weeks now, did a 1rm on bench and beat my old PR, it did feel a bit odd but oh well.

I have also seen more Hypertrophy in my chest than i did with flat bench...

Also give DC your all, don't change it mate it is like it is for a reason, dont get hung up on a ideal 3 plate press that you dont need. You have done it now your body will not forget that and it will come easier once you finish your DC than it did before.

Also very exciting to have a new gym, maybe a new gym, new equipment will shock the body into some serious growth!

Very exciting cant wait to follow this Journal!

I have seen the same, more hypertrophy with incline and it seems to carry over pretty well. GL with the new blast and the new gym.

Off Road
01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
You have done it now your body will not forget that and it will come easier once you finish your DC than it did before.
I agree with Kiff. Strength is strength, and it will carry over to your bench when you return to it. It might take a couple of months to get back to it, but it will come back and probably even stronger. Enjoy the DC, should be interesting.

cphafner
01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
I see you went over to IM and they advised to do a different exercise for your leg widow makers. Score one for me :) And Dante's thoughts

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=9658

mchicia1
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I see you went over to IM and they advised to do a different exercise for your leg widow makers. Score one for me :) And Dante's thoughts

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=9658

Yup...I truly believe I am not built to squat (just made a thread in the BB section).

I am still going to do it, but I may squat slightly higher and will definitely do my widowmaker on a machine. The new gym has all the machines I need, I am hoping for some huge size gains. And please keep the advice coming..if you notice something I am doing is stupid (exercise choice, rep ranges, etc) let me know.

I agree with Kiff. Strength is strength, and it will carry over to your bench when you return to it. It might take a couple of months to get back to it, but it will come back and probably even stronger. Enjoy the DC, should be interesting.

Yeah, I got over it already. I was thinking the same thing....strength is strength. Its dumb to get caught up on strength on just one movement.

mchicia1
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
1/17/11

DC Upper, Cycle 1

Incline Bench
185x12+2+2
Humbling as hell!!!!! Since I can't arch, the rom is ridiculously long! I was warming up and even 135 felt heavy. I was about to just do 135 but I figured it just felt heavy initially because I wasn't used to the movement, so I worked up in doubles to 225 to gauge how it felt. 225 felt pretty heavy, probably could have gotten 6, so I dropped down to 185 to set myself over the next couple of months.

Hammer Shoulder Press
185x16x4x3

Then did the extreme fly stretch.

Skullcrushers
115x14+3+2
May have been more than 115, the bar felt heavier than the old gym.

Did tricep stretch after this.

Neutral Grip Pullups
+30x10+3+3
Biceps gave out way before back, probably because I have never trained biceps directly and I have been doing them the past 2 weeks.

Barbell Pendlay Rows
195x7
135x15

Did the hanging lat stretch.

New gym was very crowded but they have so many stations I didn't have to wait on anything. Lot of roided guys there though...I was just about the biggest guy at my old gym...I am not even close here.

cphafner
01-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Pullups are tough to continue to progress on. I though I read you were doing rack pullups.

mchicia1
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Pullups are tough to continue to progress on. I though I read you were doing rack pullups.

Actually, I usually progress really fast on them. I went from +5x10 to +25x10 in a month while I did 30 lbs in 30 days. If I do end up stalling quickly, no big deal, I will just switch it out but I like doing them too much to drop them. Rack pullups are one of my other back width movements. It is neutral pullups, rack chins, and curl grip lat pulldowns.

LuNa
01-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Nice session! How are the stretches?

Off Road
01-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Great session. New movements are always humbling, you'll get it figured out quickly.

mchicia1
01-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Nice session! How are the stretches?
Im still figuring the best weight to use with them. The fly stretch, I used way too heavy weight, so it really hurt. The tricep stretch, the weight was a little light, so I didn't get much of a stretch. I will dial it in over the next couple weeks. I also don't have straps yet, so the hanging lat stretch was kind of pointless. Need to pick up some straps.

Great session. New movements are always humbling, you'll get it figured out quickly.

Thanks OR.

brihead301
01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
I have some news...

Yes, LA fitness does have lots of good equipment as you said. The thing I HATE about it though, is that it has that "fitness industry" vibe - you know the skinny personal trainer guys always trying to help you, the hoards of curl jockeys, 50 teenage kids all using up the benches, 15 rooms dedicated to cardio, etc...And it's packed as hell all the time too!

But as you said the advantage is that it has lots of equipment. It beats the hell out of Planet Fitness for sure!

I'm suprised that the powerlifting gym you mentioned wasn't good enough for a "bodybuilder". That doesn't make sense. Because as we all know, free weights are the best for both strength and bodybuilding....the necessary equipment is the same for both powerlifters and bodybuilders.

mchicia1
01-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes, LA fitness does have lots of good equipment as you said. The thing I HATE about it though, is that it has that "fitness industry" vibe - you know the skinny personal trainer guys always trying to help you, the hoards of curl jockeys, 50 teenage kids all using up the benches, 15 rooms dedicated to cardio, etc...And it's packed as hell all the time too!

But as you said the advantage is that it has lots of equipment. It beats the hell out of Planet Fitness for sure!

I'm suprised that the powerlifting gym you mentioned wasn't good enough for a "bodybuilder". That doesn't make sense. Because as we all know, free weights are the best for both strength and bodybuilding....the necessary equipment is the same for both powerlifters and bodybuilders.

Yes, its very fitness industry. You know what though, theres so much equipment I don't even really care. It was crowded as all hell last night. Monday at 6:30 = curl jockey/bench press time. And I did not have to wait on one single thing. And all 4 of the squat racks were open the entire time, as was the deadlift area.

As for the powerlifting gym not being adequate, you need to read more about dc training :). Machines are essentially required in DC training. The powerlifting gym had an incline, a flat bench, a good squat rack, and a hack squat/leg press machine. But nothing else. On DC, if you don't beat your logbook on a given exercise, either by doing more weight or more reps, you have to drop it for something else. That means if I plateau on anything, I have nothing to switch to. The new gym will allow me to progress longer on DC.

The other thing is my wife....she would not like to workout in a gym like that, I am sure of it. Plus it was 10 miles farther than LA fitness, so the convenience factor was there.

When I pick a path, I like to dedicate myself 100%...I truly believe DC could work for me, so I went all out and did it right by joining a DC approved gym. Believe me, I ****ing hate all the curl jockeys, skinny trainers, and all the other **** that goes on in commercial gyms. But its a sacrifice I have to make if I want to carry this program out.

mchicia1
01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Sorry to disappoint guys...

But Joey and Offroad made some good points in my squat thread. Then others on IM basically said I am nowhere near ready. I am going to take their word for it and abort the routine.

Going back to 5/3/1 with some rest paused stuff for accessories and I am going to split it by bodypart so I am hitting everything 3 times in two weeks, like DC.

StLRPh
01-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm sure you learned a lot during your experiment that will help you now and later. There's no reason in the world why you can't apply some of those principles to 5/3/1 or any other programming you choose.

BTW, don't make another log. Just keep this one and if you want ask a Mod to change the title. I like the long ass logs, so you can more easily see the progression of the person. Coke's log is a great example of this.

mchicia1
01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm sure you learned a lot during your experiment that will help you now and later. There's no reason in the world why you can't apply some of those principles to 5/3/1 or any other programming you choose.

BTW, don't make another log. Just keep this one and if you want ask a Mod to change the title. I like the long ass logs, so you can more easily see the progression of the person. Coke's log is a great example of this.

Yeah I thought of that too...I am going to close this one and use my original log from beginning 2010.

Coke
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Bet you are the tallest guy at your new gym, you'll be the biggest overall too at the rate you're going.

Off Road
01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Sorry to disappoint guys...

But Joey and Offroad made some good points in my squat thread. Then others on IM basically said I am nowhere near ready. I am going to take their word for it and abort the routine.

Going back to 5/3/1 with some rest paused stuff for accessories and I am going to split it by bodypart so I am hitting everything 3 times in two weeks, like DC.
I certainly didn't want to sway you away from DC, just get you squat again :) I only mentioned the advanced stuff because I think it was valuable information. It's not like you were picking a crappy routine and I had to bitch slap you - haha

mchicia1
01-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I certainly didn't want to sway you away from DC, just get you squat again :) I only mentioned the advanced stuff because I think it was valuable information. It's not like you were picking a crappy routine and I had to bitch slap you - haha

You didn't sway me away from it, you and Joey just made good points and ultimately I made the decision.

But I realized, once I started talking about 20 reppers with 135, that I wasn't ready to do it correctly.

Then two of the advanced guys on the IM forum basically told me point blank I wasn't ready. Its fine, I am going to structure 5/3/1 basically the same way so I won't get bored like I did before. I may still throw out flat bench all together...take a look at my old log, I put 3 options there. I am seriously considering incline and military as my two upper body main movements. Not going to miss a beat either...I am starting tomorrow with Deads.

LuNa
01-19-2011, 12:54 AM
In my opinion, i think you could have made good progress on DC, but also on a program like 5/3/1. I think DC should be left for the end, when programs such as 5/3/1 arent applicable anymore. Where would one progress to, after DC isnt giving results anymore?
Also, your statement on your bench press suggests that even though size is your main priority, strength is still important to you. A program like 5/3/1 can give you the best of both worlds, while preparing you for something as advanced as DC.

It takes a lot to decide you arent ready and listen to others. Will be tagging along for the 5/3/1 trip :).

mchicia1
01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
In my opinion, i think you could have made good progress on DC, but also on a program like 5/3/1. I think DC should be left for the end, when programs such as 5/3/1 arent applicable anymore. Where would one progress to, after DC isnt giving results anymore?
Also, your statement on your bench press suggests that even though size is your main priority, strength is still important to you. A program like 5/3/1 can give you the best of both worlds, while preparing you for something as advanced as DC.

It takes a lot to decide you arent ready and listen to others. Will be tagging along for the 5/3/1 trip :).

You are correct...I am still interested in strength. Setting up 5/3/1 more like a BBing program now. Hopefully it helps me gain the size I want as well.