PDA

View Full Version : Poll and question about post workout carbs

vdizenzo
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I guess rilose is the next big thing in post workout carbs. Not that long ago it was maltodextrin. For a while I was doing all my post workout carbs with food. Is it really that big of a difference? I would really like to get everyone's thoughts.

BigMike230
01-09-2011, 03:51 PM
I guess rilose is the next big thing in post workout carbs. Not that long ago it was maltodextrin. For a while I was doing all my post workout carbs with food. Is it really that big of a difference? I would really like to get everyone's thoughts.

For a month or two last year I drank about 30g of Endurox and follow with a protein shake within 2 hours after every workout.

I was pleased with the results, but it may have been that drinking endurox made me more attentive to plain old cycling carbs lol. It is definitely easier with malodextrin, as it definitely causes an insulin spike where a whole post workout meal has proteins and fats slowing down digestion.

NickAus
01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I like a high carb protein shake 1 hour before training.

4g64fiero
01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
If I do that I am super tired when lifting.^^^ :(

joey54
01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Chocolate Milk for me right now.

Behemoth
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
I've use(d) everything from dextrose to whole uncooked oats

tom183
01-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Chocolate Milk for me right now.

Me too. 600ml of coffee or chocolate flavoured milk is what I've been having post workout lately.

vdizenzo
01-10-2011, 12:26 PM
So carbs from food sources are basically just as good as supplement drinks as far as post workout nutrition is concerned. At least that's what the poll is saying. Thanks.

IronDiggy
01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Yea I'd say it's more of a waste of money with so many carb choices available! I generally have some OJ after training.

Behemoth
01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't call it a waste of money by any means, especially not with how cheap dexrose, malto, or even waxy maize is...

The time that I used whole oats was only because my calories were sparse and they were more satiating for longer than a liquid simple carb source. Normally I'll go the supplement route but this is just one of those examples where even though dextrose or waxy maize would be scientifically better to consume post workout, they weren't in my real life situation the optimal choice.

Off Road
01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I think the drinks are more convenient than trying to fix and eat food after a workout.
But the way the poll is stated, I don't think it makes a huge difference if you are eating or drinking your carbs.

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
The way the poll was worded I had to answer NO. But I dont think you need to even worry about post workout carbs at all, except for under very specific circumstances. Protein will be WAY more important.

Behemoth
01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
The way the poll was worded I had to answer NO. But I dont think you need to even worry about post workout carbs at all, except for under very specific circumstances. Protein will be WAY more important.

Ohhh boy.... here we go.

Unless you're on a ketogenic diet. eat carbs post workout. If one is on restricted carbs then they would undoubtedly be best served scheduling them around their workout. If one has no restriction on carbs there is little rational reason to not consume carbs post workout.

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Ohhh boy.... here we go.

Unless you're on a ketogenic diet. eat carbs post workout. If one is on restricted carbs then they would undoubtedly be best served scheduling them around their workout. If one has no restriction on carbs there is little rational reason to not consume carbs post workout.

If one eats carbs in their diet throughout the rest of the day, they'll get plenty by the time of their next workout. There isn't a NEED to force them in during this time, especially if you are trying to get/stay lean.

The only instance when I can really think of post workout carbs being needed would be individuals that are doing multiple workouts per day (AM/PM) and needing to replenish glycogen stores rapidly in a short time period.

Behemoth
01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
If one eats carbs in their diet throughout the rest of the day, they'll get plenty by the time of their next workout. There isn't a NEED to force them in during this time, especially if you are trying to get/stay lean.

The only instance when I can really think of post workout carbs being needed would be individuals that are doing multiple workouts per day (AM/PM) and needing to replenish glycogen stores rapidly in a short time period.

You're right that glycogen replenishment is comically overexaggerated to the point that people think they immediately do so with their high glycemic post workout carbs. I know the angle you're coming from with this, but you're starting arguments/debates just for the sake of it right now. Fact of the matter is, if you have carbs allotted in your diet then post workout is 90% of the time the most optimal time to incorporate them, regardless of how long it takes to replenish glycogen. The sooner you start the replenishment, the more likely you'll do so before your next workout, and the safer your muscles will be during the time in between.

So at what time are you suggesting that they would be more optimally placed?

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 08:46 PM
If one isn't on a limited carb plan, then I dont think it matters at all. Assuming there is about 24-48 hours in between workouts, if they are eating carbs throughout the day, they dont need to worry about it. Eating 50% of their daily carbs post workout may be more "optimal", but I dont think its going to make a huge difference.

If someone IS on a limited carb plan, then post workout is probably the best time, and might make a bigger difference overall. They can get 50-75% of their daily carbs in during this time, and then go back to a very low intake the rest of the time.

Im not trying to say carbs are all bad for everyone and that protein is all that matters. Im just trying to suggest that in recent years carbs have been touted as these mythical substances and the next best thing to steroids. The reality is, for many people, carbs are the problem when it comes to not getting to lean.

In addition, carbs are NOT essential most of the time. There are some freaky huge and lean dudes that take in very low amounts of carbs. Conversely, protein is very essential, and I think you'll have a hard time finding any big/lean guys that are on low protein diets.

Clearly some people do very well on higher carb intakes (you are probably a good example). But for the majority of peopel this is not the case. Nobody is overfat from taking in too much protein. It is either too much fat, too much carbs, or not enough activity. This being a workout site, its likely fat or carbs.

Again, Behemonth, I probably agree with you more than I disagree with you. Im just saying, in regards to post workout carbs, I dont think they are nearly as important as people are making them out to be. Protein followed by a normal meal has gotten the job done for so long, and the post workout carb supplementation was just an attempt at CREATING the need for another supplement, based on the mis-interpretation of some nutrient timing research.

Behemoth
01-11-2011, 08:18 AM
If one isn't on a limited carb plan, then I dont think it matters at all. Assuming there is about 24-48 hours in between workouts, if they are eating carbs throughout the day, they dont need to worry about it. Eating 50% of their daily carbs post workout may be more "optimal", but I dont think its going to make a huge difference. In the big picture, you're right it's one of those little detail. Just like I made the post about applicability, if for some reason somebody adheres to their macros better eatting their carbs at another meal then that is the better route. But for anybody else, considering it post workout is the most optimal time to consume carbs from both an anabolic standpoint and a fatloss standpoint, they'd be silly not to.

If someone IS on a limited carb plan, then post workout is probably the best time, and might make a bigger difference overall. They can get 50-75% of their daily carbs in during this time, and then go back to a very low intake the rest of the time. I just said that in post #13 and you disagreed with it in post #14

The fact that you argued 50-75 PERCENT is comical. Not that I disagree, but a percentage means nothing outside of knowing their macros. One could get away with 800g of carbs in a 4-6 hour window post workout without adding an ounce of bodyfat assuming they had signifigant muscle mass and were EXTREMELY depleted. Are you familiar with UD2.0 or any other diet where you the individual purposely depletes before refeeding?

Im not trying to say carbs are all bad for everyone and that protein is all that matters. Im just trying to suggest that in recent years carbs have been touted as these mythical substances and the next best thing to steroids. The reality is, for many people, carbs are the problem when it comes to not getting to lean.

No, in recent years carbs have been touted as the mythical macro that makes everybody fat. Case and point... you're scared to death of them and I'll put money on you still have a gut.

In addition, carbs are NOT essential most of the time. There are some freaky huge and lean dudes that take in very low amounts of carbs. Conversely, protein is very essential, and I think you'll have a hard time finding any big/lean guys that are on low protein diets.They're not essential to what? To life? No they're certainly not, you're body can get by just fine without them. Not essential to getting big? Blasphemy. Find me one natural "freaky huge and lean dude" who takes in very low amounts of carbs.

Clearly some people do very well on higher carb intakes (you are probably a good example). But for the majority of peopel this is not the case. Nobody is overfat from taking in too much protein. It is either too much fat, too much carbs, or not enough activity. This being a workout site, its likely fat or carbs.

I actually have pretty poor insulin sensitivity, my friend. And yet you're right, I do still do better than on very very low carbs. People are overfat from excessive calorie consumption, you're neglect to understand thermodynamics negates any and all argument that you're attempting to make.

Again, Behemonth, I probably agree with you more than I disagree with you. Im just saying, in regards to post workout carbs, I dont think they are nearly as important as people are making them out to be. Protein followed by a normal meal has gotten the job done for so long, and the post workout carb supplementation was just an attempt at CREATING the need for another supplement, based on the mis-interpretation of some nutrient timing research.I will agree that they "aren't nearly as important as people are making them out to be(with regard to ingesting them post workout [assuming youre still consuming carbs throughout the rest of the day])" yes. But this started because you directly implied that there was some other optimal time to take in carbs, and that is not the case. Again, I agree it's not the end of the world if you miss them after a workout, and you have not negated the efforts performed. But if you have carbs allotted in your diet, I would really like to hear your reasoning of not consuming them post workout. And I really don't think any supplement company gets rich off of dextrose/matlo/waxy etc. Ahh and here is our flagship supplement, we call it... maltodextrin! Lol..

msg filler

Clone
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Wouldn't liquid carbs be absorbed faster/easier than solid food carbs?

Or am I mistaken?

Behemoth
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Wouldn't liquid carbs be absorbed faster/easier than solid food carbs?

Or am I mistaken?
They are.

vdizenzo
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
But does the absorption rate make that big of a difference?

Clone
01-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Yeah thats what I meant to ask.

Which seems to be along the lines of your original question.

Is it harder to digest solid food after a workout when you are fatigued?

Behemoth
01-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Along the lines of what Dan Fanelli said. Probably not unless you have another strenuous physical activity the ensues just a few hours later. Whole food should plenty do it's job throughout the course of the next 24 hours.

bradley
01-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Whole foods would work, albeit not optimally, but meal timing and composition could compensate for the lack of quick absorbing supplements pre or post-workout.

KarlMarx
01-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I just want to thank Vinny for the book recommendation, 'Nutrient Timing' by Ivy and Portman. I am reading it again for the second time, and I'll just say there is science to whether you should eat after working out, how much, and what. It was well worth reading! I'm surprised you haven't mentioned it yet Vinny!
THANKS again!