PDA

View Full Version : close grip when board pressing

Bosshogg300
01-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I did boards friday for the first time in my life with good success and I used my regular grip, should I use a close grip next ME DAY or does it not matter bc I have seen people use close grip and have read that and am wondering if I should be using a close grip

kingns
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
It depends. If your using a shirt you should do your comp grip. If you are a raw lifter it would help more to do a close grip the majority of the time. If you are weak off the chest though doing low boards with your comp grip would help a lot. So the answer is, it depends, but if you do both you won't be going wrong.

NickAus
01-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Have PR's with close/med and comp grips.

mastermonster
01-09-2011, 11:22 PM
I do close grips off of 3 - 4 boards as a heavy tricep move and do them raw. If I'm in my shirt and do boards it's comp grip; which for me is widest legal grip.

drew
01-10-2011, 06:39 AM
For ME work, you should be using your comp grip on everything unless there is an injury or some other really good reason that prevents you from using your comp grip all the time. If you are doing assistance, go ahead and use a close grip.

vdizenzo
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Moving a finger in or out by as little as an inch creates a new exercise for ME work. I think it's good to use a variety of grips for ME work so you are not always chasing the same number. The exception is the shirt. I believe little good comes from using anything other than a comp setup for equipped benching.

AdamBAG
01-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I have had good luck using pinky on the ring or closer off of 3, 4, or 5 boards to build tricep and lockout strength.

I do most of my max effort work with a grip that is closer than maximum width. I usually only take a full max grip when I do shirt work.

BloodandThunder
01-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I use various grips for low end board work if I'm doing ME work. If I'm doing higher boards for volume as a supplementary exercise, I like to stick with CG. Variety never hurts though.

Travis Bell
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Moving a finger in or out by as little as an inch creates a new exercise for ME work. I think it's good to use a variety of grips for ME work so you are not always chasing the same number. The exception is the shirt. I believe little good comes from using anything other than a comp setup for equipped benching.

Truth.

If you're training raw (wither it's end purpose is for equipped or raw) I actually normally use pinkies on the rings or closer.

Reason being, I divide my ME exercises into two groups. Strength Testers and Strength Builders

I don't seem to get much stronger when I use comp grip. Its great for seeing where I'm at, but close grip is where it's at for training.

So for example using a 2brd comp grip for me would be a Strength Tester

2brd with thumbs from the smooth would be a strength builder.

Now on things like floor press, I will max with comp grip, but then pull it in closer for some heavy rep sets.

I would not use boards every week. Rotate things in and out.

Bosshogg300
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
ok thanks guys, i dont use boards every week i switch my ME main movement every two weeks