PDA

View Full Version : Cleanest Bulk Diet

bubs126
01-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey guy Im currently 203lbs 5'9 and looking to put on muscle and then cut the remaining fat some time around may. I am currently doing the 531 program developed by Jim Wendler. Im having trouble gaining weight or should I say muscle. My lifts have gone up but my physiqe has not. Here is what i am eating today.

Breakfast:
3 whole eggs, Protein Pancake (3 eggs, 2/3c of oats, 1 scoop of Isopure Mass, cinammon)
Snack:
Protein Oats (2/3c of oats, cinnamon, 1 scoop of Isopure Mass)
Lunch:
2 Chicken breast 1 box of mac and cheese
Snack:
Protein Oats
Dinner:
1 8oz Sirloin with half Sweet Pototao
Before Bed:
1c of FF Cottage Cheese

Any help is appreciated

Kiff
01-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey guy Im currently 203lbs 5'9 and looking to put on muscle and then cut the remaining fat some time around may. I am currently doing the 531 program developed by Jim Wendler. Im having trouble gaining weight or should I say muscle. My lifts have gone up but my physiqe has not. Here is what i am eating today.

Breakfast:
3 whole eggs, Protein Pancake (3 eggs, 2/3c of oats, 1 scoop of Isopure Mass, cinammon)
Snack:
Protein Oats (2/3c of oats, cinnamon, 1 scoop of Isopure Mass)
Lunch:
2 Chicken breast 1 box of mac and cheese
Snack:
Protein Oats
Dinner:
1 8oz Sirloin with half Sweet Pototao
Before Bed:
1c of FF Cottage Cheese

Any help is appreciated

Dont want to oversimplify this issue nor overcomplicate it, if it is not putting weight on it is not enough food. Maybe add another chicken breast in at dinner or a protein shake and see if that helps? When you stall again add another?

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
All I can say is the diet doesn't look very "clean". Are you having trouble gaining WEIGHT, or gaining MUSCLE?

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

Its going to come down to getting enough calories, enough protein, and then setting your carbs/fat appropriately. There is nothing more to it than that. If you are having trouble gaining weight, you raise the calories. If you are gaining weight, but not muscle (fat instead), then you are taking in too much fat/carbs, AND/OR your training isn't appropriate.

bubs126
01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
What would you all take out of the diet?? The Chicken breast with mac and cheese???

I usally eat 2 chicken breast with brown rice, salsa, lettuce, queso. Almost like a naked burrito.

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
What would you all take out of the diet?? The Chicken breast with mac and cheese???

I usally eat 2 chicken breast with brown rice, salsa, lettuce, queso. Almost like a naked burrito.

Well first I'd need to know if you are having trouble gaining WEIGHT, or if your gaining weight but its mainly FAT?

bubs126
01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Well first I'd need to know if you are having trouble gaining WEIGHT, or if your gaining weight but its mainly FAT?

Thats what it seems to be. My strength is going up but (275x1 4 weeks ago 275x3 last week) you couldnt tell by looking at me. Im starting to get a nice ring around my stomach of fat.

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think you should bulk and then cut, you will probably just end up barely ahead of where you started and thats a lot of wasted progress. I recommend you only add more calories if the weight on the bar stops progressing, then up the calories (protein) slightly. Some things you can try are not changing the diet at all and doing some extra cardio to try to keep the fat off or shutting off the carbs before bed.

Sometimes people fall in love with the scale (myself included) and think thats progress. I did this when I was a painfully skinny 185 pounder and "bulked" to 215 pounds. Well now I have a stomach that I regret 100%. I didn't bother cutting because my lifts still sucked even with a 30 pound gain, so if I cut back down to 195 pounds, I would be basically where I started, which is pointless. So I took my own advice above, and slowly, slowly gained 20 or 30 pounds over the next 2+ years and my stomach got no larger but the rest of my body did and my lifts soared. You don't need to force feed yourself to gain weight...it needs to be a slow process if you want the majority of it to be muscle.

I do not recommend a bulking/cutting cycle unless you are a bodybuilder getting ready for a show or something. Unless you really hire a professional, you are going to end up bulking too fast (too much fat) and then cutting too much (losing most of the muscle you just worked for the past 6 months).

Remember, it is *EASY* to track progress in the gym. It is difficult to accurately track progress about your body. In general, if your lifts are consistently going up and the scale is going up, albeit very slowly, then you are most likely gaining muscle with minimal fat. If the scale is going up 3 pounds a week, you will become a fatass.

*Edit*

It really depends on your goals. If you really, really want to lose your stomach now, just focus on getting lean first and don't worry about weight progression. Then you can basically start over from there with a good diet that will allow you to gain muscle with minimal fat...but don't spend months upon months of putting on hard to come by muscle, only to cut it all off later and basically lose a year of progress.

If your goal is to continue to get stronger and stronger, then throw those two words "bulk" and "cut" out of your vocabulary and just make sure you eat just enough to repair the muscles over the next 2 days that you just suffered for to tear down in the gym. As long as you are doing some cardio and not going overboard with the calories (eating when you're hungry only) then you will most likely shave off fat over time, a long time :).

bubs126
01-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I want to become bigger and stronger for sure. I just dont want to be a huge barrell gutted guy. I dont want a 6 pack either. I dont want fat pockets hanging over my waist, or saggy hips, droopy chest. I wanna look like a leaner powerlifter, And I want to lift like a leaner powerlifter!

mchicia1
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I want to become bigger and stronger for sure. I just dont want to be a huge barrell gutted guy. I dont want a 6 pack either. I dont want fat pockets hanging over my waist, or saggy hips, droopy chest. I wanna look like a leaner powerlifter, And I want to lift like a leaner powerlifter!

Well, are you drooping right now or more or less right where you want to be minus the strength? If you are right where you want to be, take my advice and just eat normally and when you are hungry. Focus most of your carbs during the day and around your workouts and less at night time. Don't need to be strict, but dont eat like 2 cups of rice, mashed potatoes, etc like 2 hours before you go to bed. Just avoid extremes and you will get there...just remember to be patient as it takes a long ass time to put on muscle naturally.

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Thats what it seems to be. My strength is going up but (275x1 4 weeks ago 275x3 last week) you couldnt tell by looking at me. Im starting to get a nice ring around my stomach of fat.

Well in 4 weeks, its hard to really tell whats going on. I'd cut back on carbs and replace them with more protein (Chicken AND beef, etc). It doesn't look like fat intake is the problem, but you probably dont need that many carbs.

Are you doing any of the conditioning stuff that wendler advocates (hill sprints or sled work)?

Look into the Paleo diet. You dont need to get all hardcore paleo, but cut back on some carbs and eat more vegetables. Maybe keep some of your carbs for pre/post workout.

Other than that, if you are at the weight you want to be, you could add some EASY fasted cardio in the mornings if it fits your schedule.

Also, what are you doing for accessory work on 5/3/1?

bubs126
01-10-2011, 01:32 PM
As for conditioning i do tire flips tire drags and pulls. Not the huge quarry loader tires but a nice decent sized tire sort of like a semi tire.

My core section is droopy and I can tell there is fat on my arms.

So that last snack of Protein oats should I take those out and replace those with something??

Dan Fanelli
01-10-2011, 02:12 PM
As for conditioning i do tire flips tire drags and pulls. Not the huge quarry loader tires but a nice decent sized tire sort of like a semi tire.

My core section is droopy and I can tell there is fat on my arms.

So that last snack of Protein oats should I take those out and replace those with something??

Honestly its hard to say, and that one meal isn't going to make a difference. The timing of carbs isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be (Overall intake throughout the day will be more important). And eating carbs after a certain time also probably doens't matter much.

Are you at your target BW or do you want to go up/down?
Are you lifting weights 4x per week, or 3?
Cardio/conditioning 1-2x per week?

Other than all of that, you can try cutting back on calories to do a SLOW cut and see if you are still able to make gains in strength. It might not happen, and you might have to accept losses in strength while you cut. It really depends on how your body responds.

Codeguru
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Lean powerlifters don't normally have a 6/8-pack? Most of the pictures on this site seem to say different...

Codeguru

TKisner
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Lean by definition means low bodyfat. Low bodyfat by definition means visible abdominals. So how does being a lean powerlifter mean no abs? Look up people like Matt Kroc, Dave Tate's transformation, Swole Patrol etc.

rickyhyden
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
1)my own shake(3egg whites yogurt powder milk), 2 bread wholegrain (2sl) and peanut butter.
2)tuna can, peanuts, 2 oatmeal cookies
3) chicken breast sandwich ( 2 slcs) and white cheese, low fat.
4)chicken breast and veggies (carrots, potatoes and "remolacha" ( i don`t know the word in english, sorry)
5) same as meal 4
6) skim milk, and if i find some cottage cheese..

RichMcGuire
01-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't think you should bulk and then cut, you will probably just end up barely ahead of where you started and thats a lot of wasted progress. I recommend you only add more calories if the weight on the bar stops progressing, then up the calories (protein) slightly. Some things you can try are not changing the diet at all and doing some extra cardio to try to keep the fat off or shutting off the carbs before bed.

Sometimes people fall in love with the scale (myself included) and think thats progress. I did this when I was a painfully skinny 185 pounder and "bulked" to 215 pounds. Well now I have a stomach that I regret 100%. I didn't bother cutting because my lifts still sucked even with a 30 pound gain, so if I cut back down to 195 pounds, I would be basically where I started, which is pointless. So I took my own advice above, and slowly, slowly gained 20 or 30 pounds over the next 2+ years and my stomach got no larger but the rest of my body did and my lifts soared. You don't need to force feed yourself to gain weight...it needs to be a slow process if you want the majority of it to be muscle.

I do not recommend a bulking/cutting cycle unless you are a bodybuilder getting ready for a show or something. Unless you really hire a professional, you are going to end up bulking too fast (too much fat) and then cutting too much (losing most of the muscle you just worked for the past 6 months).

Remember, it is *EASY* to track progress in the gym. It is difficult to accurately track progress about your body. In general, if your lifts are consistently going up and the scale is going up, albeit very slowly, then you are most likely gaining muscle with minimal fat. If the scale is going up 3 pounds a week, you will become a fatass.

*Edit*

It really depends on your goals. If you really, really want to lose your stomach now, just focus on getting lean first and don't worry about weight progression. Then you can basically start over from there with a good diet that will allow you to gain muscle with minimal fat...but don't spend months upon months of putting on hard to come by muscle, only to cut it all off later and basically lose a year of progress.

If your goal is to continue to get stronger and stronger, then throw those two words "bulk" and "cut" out of your vocabulary and just make sure you eat just enough to repair the muscles over the next 2 days that you just suffered for to tear down in the gym. As long as you are doing some cardio and not going overboard with the calories (eating when you're hungry only) then you will most likely shave off fat over time, a long time :).

I just wanted to quote this because I think a lot of what was said here has a lot of useful insight. Great post.

kramericaa
02-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Sometimes people fall in love with the scale (myself included) and think thats progress. I did this when I was a painfully skinny 185 pounder and "bulked" to 215 pounds. Well now I have a stomach that I regret 100%. I didn't bother cutting because my lifts still sucked even with a 30 pound gain, so if I cut back down to 195 pounds, I would be basically where I started, which is pointless. So I took my own advice above, and slowly, slowly gained 20 or 30 pounds over the next 2+ years and my stomach got no larger but the rest of my body did and my lifts soared. You don't need to force feed yourself to gain weight...it needs to be a slow process if you want the majority of it to be muscle. :).

I fully agree, couldn't have said it better myself.:clap:

I've always been a skinny hardgainer. I weighed about 185-190 one year ago and slowly and finally got up to 200. I know, not all that impressive, but my lifting numbers have gone up significantly and my body fat% has stayed very close to the same. It is a very slow process. (least for me) I'd like to see 220. I figure if I stick with the same game plan it'll take another 2 years. lol

Yamar
02-12-2011, 07:54 PM
So you'll just eat the same thing everyday?

RichMcGuire
02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
So you'll just eat the same thing everyday?

heh, I usually do.

3-6 monsters
4 poptarts
1 big mac, 1 large fry
half a gallon of chocolate milk
lots of coffee
a big protein drink

Delicious everyday!