PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlift Form Critique

Keaffer14
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
this is the first time I've pulled sumo in a suit, I've always pulled conventional, but have been trying out sumo to see how it feels. I was wondering how this form looks, I know I should probably keep my chest up more at the start and pull the slack out of the bar more, but anything else?

1n38rqtbqxM

IronDiggy
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm always being told to pull back more than up and slow off the floor, don't try and jerk it off the floor. Sumo if slow off the floor and fast lockout. Otherwise it looks good to me.

jtteg_x
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
each person has different body mechanics but the obvious part i notice is your hips rising first. try driving your hips down by pulling against the bar at start. its like a spring effect when using the suit.
heres an old video of me in the metal pro sumo suit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4nk6Gr_6M
you will notice i got my hands gripped and i pull my hips down by pulling the bar. depending on the suit, you may not to pull your hips down as much. take this video for example when i was wearing a suit when i was wearing the same suit (fitted for 198) at 220 bodyweight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWwnJo3h2 i couldnt get the hips down because the suit was way too tight which restricted my breathing.

mods can you embed the youtube videos cause im a noob

Behemoth
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
URL on second video is no good. Try looking it up again and use the video option instead of the youtube option to embed it.

NickAus
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Looks like your upperback is arched and your lowerback is not.......

I think your pulls look ok, they are much better than some ive seen.

I am new to sumo so hopefully some better guys can add to this.

Brian Hopper
01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
You need to get your chest up and maybe drop your hips more also. From what I saw your back is rounded alot. You might need to force the arch in your back.

MarcusWild
01-15-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree with Nick and Brian. Sumo is about spreading your knees and getting your hips as close as you can to the bar. Your knees can even be a bit out over the bar. You want your hips very close to the bar and back arched. My sumo isn't great (I'm a conventional deadlifter), but you can see I use the bar to pull myself towards it as I lower my hips. My knees open up to get my hips closer to the bar. My first move isn't consistently good though. My back is stronger than my hips, so when it gets heavy I just let my hips rise then use my back to lift it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK4tu2XHGDU

Brian Hopper
01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I think I'm a good sumo puller with moderate weight. I haven't really pulled sumo with heavy weight to see if my form breaks down. I do focus alot on dropping my hips and keeping my chest up and head back before I pull.

Keaffer14
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
thanks for the input guys. its definitely right that i need to get my back arched harder and my chest up more, and posibly my hips down

MarcusWild
01-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure your hips have to be lower, but your knees wider. Get your hips closer to the bar. If your hips get too low, then they are too far from the bar which is bad.

NickAus
01-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I second what Marcus said above.