PDA

View Full Version : Protein Bars...Good or Evil??

shredded58
01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm long time high protein, low carb dieter, and my schedule is usually spent on the run. So eating a protein bar when I can't sit down to a meal seems like a great alternative, but every bar I look into is either loaded with sugar, carbs or sugar alcohols (which kills my stomach).
Anybody know of a bar that isn't laoded down with sugar and carbs?

Clone
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I think they're all evil.

Candy bars with extra protein in my opinion. They sit like lead in my belly.

They would taste like the devil's rectum if they didn't have extra sweeteners added.

Codeguru
01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
My favorite for flavor are the Met-RX Protein Plus bars, with 32g of protein and 310 calories. They brag on the front about how they only have 1-3g of sugar, and they only have around 32g of carbs in them which I don't think is bad if you're using it for a meal. Of course there are the Novus bars which have 36g of protein, and I like the mint cookie flavor at least...

Codeguru

K.Huget
01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Novus bars are inexpensive and taste great.

muscle chic
01-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm on the run alot to. I put nuts in a baggy w/ dried fruit and also pre make my meals so I can grab and go. It's a good idea for turkey and chicken. For a while I was buying bagged tuna and salmon for protein. I used to eat bars but they don't taste very good and tuna, turkey ect are healthier for your body anyway.:)

BULK_BOY
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I say Good. In moderation. When really needed/helpful.

Bosch232
01-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Meal Replacement Bars (Bulking)
Combine in large mixing bowl:

3 Cups Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Natural Peanut butter
1 cup Skim Milk
4 Scoops Protein Powder
dash of cinnamon
Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)
use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)
top with 4-8 packets Splenda
put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:

11g fat (good monounsaturated fats)
26g carbs
21g protein
285 calories

Dan Fanelli
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
They are the spawn of Satan!!!

No really, its going to be hard to find a "good" protein bar if you are looking for high protein, low carb, and healthy. Just eat nuts, or go with a protein shake.

tom183
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I've yet to find any decent ones.

Off Road
01-12-2011, 06:53 AM
I don't use them much as I like eating food better. But the Novus samples I got were far better than others I've tried.

Behemoth
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Real food is usually a better option. But a good bar is indefinitely better than almost any other "on the run" type of option or not eating at all. That being said between I've been using 2-3 novus bars a day lately simply out of convenience.

ThomasG
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Good. Especially on a cut. Without novus bars I would have a much harder time hittng my macros.

barryg78
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I normally make my own protein bars - I like to know I'm not ingesting any junk. Occasionally I'll have a Questbar, which are pretty much like homemade bars, just a tad bit more expensive.

Basshog
01-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Sounded good so I modified for more calories:

3 Cups Oatmeal
3/4 cup PB
1 1/2 cup Whole Milk
2 Scoops ON Serious Mass
Dash of Cinnamon

Meal Replacement Bars (Bulking)
Combine in large mixing bowl:

3 Cups Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Natural Peanut butter
1 cup Skim Milk
4 Scoops Protein Powder
dash of cinnamon
Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)
use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)
top with 4-8 packets Splenda
put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:

11g fat (good monounsaturated fats)
26g carbs
21g protein
285 calories

blackmetal
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm going to try that recipe too. I agree with everyone that says that real food is better. I personally work out in a gym at work, and it's an hour to get home. In order to hit that timing frequency post-workout I have a scoop of protein powder in water and a bar after every workout. Then I eat when I get home (around 90 minutes post-workout).

Costco has boxes of bars that usually workout out to a buck a bar, where buying them individually would cost $1.50 each. Costco had Think Protein bars, which were low fat, low carb, moderate protein, low calorie, with no artificial sweeteners. They don't have them anymore. There's also MLO bars that are higher in carbs, fat, and calories, and thus not as good, but you pay for what you can get. In addition, they also have Clif's builder bars, which are higher calorie and fat than the Think Protein bars, but taste the best out of the three in my opinion. I think the Clif bars taste better than Novus! I currently have three boxes of Clif and two boxes of Novus for post workout. Novus bars are twice the price for 1.5 times the protein and calories, but it's good to have variety.

Will

paleopower
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm on the run alot to. I put nuts in a baggy w/ dried fruit and also pre make my meals so I can grab and go. It's a good idea for turkey and chicken. For a while I was buying bagged tuna and salmon for protein. I used to eat bars but they don't taste very good and tuna, turkey ect are healthier for your body anyway.:)

This would be the option I lean towards.....I always carry almonds, dried fruits, and beef jerky with me..Some call them paleo packs,,several companies sell them already made up, much cheaper to just make them at home.

Just for a snack I like the Larabar, they only have a few whole food ingredients.