PDA

View Full Version : Slow Fat Loss. Fixing up Diet, help?

ark94
01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
know this sounds silly, especially when you look at a video of me. But my BF is just not healthy for me, and I want to lose some of it to a desired BF that I am happy with. No cutting bulking nonsense, I want to lose it slowly once, then eat healthy and right from then on and gain LBM.

My stats:

Age - 16 (17 next month)
Height - 6ft / 6ft 1
Weight - 187-190 mid-day

Pics: When would you like pics? In the morning after sleep? Or in mid-day?

I have discussed this with Eric, and got my mentality right. He opened my eyes to understand what I really want to do, and how to say it because the way I explained it to him was ridiculous.

I don’t want to do any “yo-yo dieting”. Straight up slow BF loss, while maintaining muscle, or if not gaining more muscle. I won’t be hopping on a scale at all during the fat loss, just by visualization. However, a suggestion by Eric was to continue on doing my strength routine, and introduce conditioning. I plan on fully doing that, but I want to get a diet set along with that to help body fat loss as well as some cardio.

“Yo-yo dieting” is cutting and bulking, and taking a drastic approach to cutting where the plan is to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time, but you lose a lot of muscle at the same time. And usually when you go off the cut you will gain the weight back, I want to maintain a steady fat loss, and keep it off after.

What would a diet look like to help? I will be asking tons of questions if you don’t mind. I know about dieting, but I just need help making sure everything is set, I know a diet would look like:

Breakfast
(eggs, a 3:1 white to yolk ratio)
Fruits
2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

Should I cut out foods after 7? Or that just a myth?
I plan on starting this slow fat loss in February. I am starting accutane in February as well, so my diet has to be strict.
I don’t eat anything sugary, or drink milk. So I’m fine there.

Reasons for fat loss:

A lot is based on family history, and I don't want to take the same path. I know I won't, but my parents are willing to get the foods now, buy anything I need, and make the foods for me. Something that I cannot be 100% sure would happen later on in life.

As well, I was just talking to my dad, I don't normally do it much but he wishes he could have been slimmer, and has a good body. He also knows it takes great dedication, and a lot of mental work to achieve that. I want to do it for myself and for my dad as well. It is my own personal goal, always has been and will be. I want to achieve this.

QUESTIONS

How will my routine change? When will I do cardio, how much of it, and what type? Would I be doing cardio after my workouts, or strictly on off-days, with Thursday not counted because I squat on Friday. Would I be doing running? Or a steady pace cardio for an hour or two? Or 30minutes?
Would I be doing more isolation lifts, or can I stick with compound lifts?

I would love some help with a diet please.

Do I have to track everything and make sure I hit a certain amount of fats/carbs/proteins each day?
How will serving sizes work as well? THIS IS a major part I am always confused about. How will I go by portioning it so I can hit the target macros each day.

Really appreciate all the help!

Behemoth
01-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Ark, it sounds like you really have your head on straight. You are the kind of member that it's actually a pleasure giving some advice to. You've done some legwork and are going to making this happen. First off it doesn't sound like you overweight by any means, but if you want to live a healthier lifestyle that results in a reduction of bodyfat, that is by all means respectable.

know this sounds silly, especially when you look at a video of me. But my BF is just not healthy for me, and I want to lose some of it to a desired BF that I am happy with. No cutting bulking nonsense, I want to lose it slowly once, then eat healthy and right from then on and gain LBM.

My stats:

Age - 16 (17 next month)
Height - 6ft / 6ft 1
Weight - 187-190 mid-day

Pics: When would you like pics? In the morning after sleep? Or in mid-day? It's not necessary. Though if you want to start a journal to track your progress I will surely follow along and answer questions as the come up during this process

I have discussed this with Eric, and got my mentality right. He opened my eyes to understand what I really want to do, and how to say it because the way I explained it to him was ridiculous. Whose Eric by the way?

I don’t want to do any “yo-yo dieting”. Straight up slow BF loss, while maintaining muscle, or if not gaining more muscle. I won’t be hopping on a scale at all during the fat loss, just by visualization. However, a suggestion by Eric was to continue on doing my strength routine, and introduce conditioning. I plan on fully doing that, but I want to get a diet set along with that to help body fat loss as well as some cardio. This is a good route to take. Going by visualization is ok. But it might be a little easier to get things dialed in and up to speed if you weigh yourself regularly in the morning (before you eat/drink but after bathroom use)

“Yo-yo dieting” is cutting and bulking, and taking a drastic approach to cutting where the plan is to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time, but you lose a lot of muscle at the same time. And usually when you go off the cut you will gain the weight back, I want to maintain a steady fat loss, and keep it off after.

What would a diet look like to help? I will be asking tons of questions if you don’t mind. I know about dieting, but I just need help making sure everything is set, I know a diet would look like: The most important part will be the total amount of calories that you take in. You need to tally up and keep track of this each day. I would highly suggest making an account on fitday.com. Since you're striving to make this a slow loss that fades into a moderate eating lifestyle I can't imagine you want to track calories everyday for the rest of your life. But after a while of consciously tracking them you will become pretty good at recognizing reasonable portions and eventually be able to just go by feel

Breakfast
(eggs, a 3:1 white to yolk ratio)
Fruits
2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

2-3hours later
Meat
Fruits
Veggies

Should I cut out foods after 7? Or that just a myth?
I plan on starting this slow fat loss in February. I am starting accutane in February as well, so my diet has to be strict.
I don’t eat anything sugary, or drink milk. So I’m fine there.Thats a myth. It may hold an ever-so-slight amount of truth but it can be completely disregarded. Your body is constantly releasing and storing lipids (fat) all day. If you're eating the same amount of food it doesn't much matter when you eat it. Drinking milk is fine, and so is eating something sugary if you want to. Obviously strive to make healthy choices in your diet, but one that is completely restrictive of anything enjoyable can lead one to deviate from it very, very easily. You can lose weight eating garbage and you can gain weight eating very clean, it primarily comes down to energy balance and expending more calories than you've eaten. But do attempt to make healthy choices such as meats fruits and veggies.

Here is a great thread with lots of good food suggestions to get you started http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?46565-what-a-bodybuilder-eats...&highlight=what+a+bodybuilder+eats

Reasons for fat loss:

A lot is based on family history, and I don't want to take the same path. I know I won't, but my parents are willing to get the foods now, buy anything I need, and make the foods for me. Something that I cannot be 100% sure would happen later on in life.

As well, I was just talking to my dad, I don't normally do it much but he wishes he could have been slimmer, and has a good body. He also knows it takes great dedication, and a lot of mental work to achieve that. I want to do it for myself and for my dad as well. It is my own personal goal, always has been and will be. I want to achieve this. It does take a lot of dedication and will power, but it sounds like you have it my friend.

QUESTIONS

How will my routine change? When will I do cardio, how much of it, and what type? Would I be doing cardio after my workouts, or strictly on off-days, with Thursday not counted because I squat on Friday. Would I be doing running? Or a steady pace cardio for an hour or two? Or 30minutes?
Would I be doing more isolation lifts, or can I stick with compound lifts?

Your routine should not change. As far as lifting weights go lift in the same manner than you would to build muscle. Heavy 6-10 reps, big compound lifts (presses, deadlifts, squats, rows, leg press, lunges etc). Isolation lifts are fine, but make sure you get in and do your big compounds first each workout (and always strive to progress if you are able).

It doesn't much matter when you do cardio or even what kind of cardio you do (high intensity, low intensity intervals etc). Cardio will serve to burn off some extra calories so that you you don't have to reduce your food intake as much. However seeing as how you're making this a very slow and long term maintainable process, you may find easiest and most rewarding to have your cardio be what puts you in the calorie deficit. By this I mean you may want to eat a normal amount of food that would keep your body weight right where its at, and just let a few cardio sessions per week gradually lean you out. The only thing to consider with cardio is that it doesn't get in the way of your lifting. I would suggest not doing it before lifting unless it is spaced out several hours prior

I would love some help with a diet please.

Do I have to track everything and make sure I hit a certain amount of fats/carbs/proteins each day?
How will serving sizes work as well? THIS IS a major part I am always confused about. How will I go by portioning it so I can hit the target macros each day.

You don't have to track fats, carbs and protein if you don't want. But it can really help get things dialed in. Make sure you eat your bodyweight in grams of protein each day, and get about 50g of fat per day. After that you can eat whatever you want to get to your necessary calories. To get a rough estimate of where you should start we'll take your bodyweight and multiply it by 15. 190x15=2850. That should roughly be the amount of calories you want to eat each day to not go up nor down in weight. Try eating at 2700 for a month or so and see what happens. Progress will likely be very, very slow. But that's what you want to make it long-term maintainable

Really appreciate all the help!

Dan Fanelli
01-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Start by doing some reading:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/7-habits-of-highly-effective-nutritional-programs/
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/nutrient-timing-when-science-and-marketing-collide/
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/eating-optimally-for-massive-size-and-strength/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-nutrition-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-nutrition-part-2.html

TKisner
01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
unless you're taking it for cancer don't take accutane (seriously). The side affects are not worth the benefits.

ark94
01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Ark, it sounds like you really have your head on straight. You are the kind of member that it's actually a pleasure giving some advice to. You've done some legwork and are going to making this happen. First off it doesn't sound like you overweight by any means, but if you want to live a healthier lifestyle that results in a reduction of bodyfat, that is by all means respectable.

Appreciate the help :)

I am not overweight, i would be considered to a certain degree "lanky", but i want to cut fat to be at a healthier bodyfat like you said, and just maintain that.

Eric Troy is the owner of Gustrength. That is where i have my training log, and i get all my training set. That is how i have been doing my training for the last year.

This is a good route to take. Going by visualization is ok. But it might be a little easier to get things dialed in and up to speed if you weigh yourself regularly in the morning (before you eat/drink but after bathroom use)

Completely agree. I will hop on the scale, but usually if you get too caught up into the scale you'll start shedding more muscle mass. I just don't want to fall into that trap.

Fitday is a great resource :) Only thing that is weird about it is that i live in Canada. so some meats are not on their. Plus, if i have something that is mixed with other things, and you cannot necessarily weight the invididual ingredients it hard to track that. Is http://nutritiondata.self.com/ any good? Its more natural foods from what i have been reading.

Okay, so i have calculated my current caloric intake.
I am at right now:

Calories: 3763
Protein: 285.2g
Fat: 163.6g
Carbs: 300.5g

unless you're taking it for cancer don't take accutane (seriously). The side affects are not worth the benefits

Why do you say that? I don't have bad acne like some people, but i got acne. I really want to get rid of it, and i want to start it. My parents say not too, but i just hate having acne, its a self-esteem thing.

I will try working out a new diet for myself reading the threads you guys linked. Hopefully i can get everything set. :)

I really do appreciate all the help!!

EDIT:

Is it bad to eat whole wheat bread when trying to lose fat?

ark94
01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Can anyone guestime my BF right now? I am waiting for a store to get a BF caliper, or just ask my parents to let me use the credit to buy one online.

Here are some pictures.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Arkinfishy/DSCN0035.jpg (side)
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Arkinfishy/DSCN0036.jpg (front)
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Arkinfishy/DSCN0038.jpg (Legs)
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Arkinfishy/DSCN0039.jpg (front again)
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Arkinfishy/DSCN0040.jpg (side again)
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Arkinfishy/DSCN0043.jpg (back)

Codeguru
01-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Is it bad to eat whole wheat bread when trying to lose fat?

That's the first thing I did when I lost my fat, Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Bread. It's done nothing but help as far as I can tell...

Codeguru

ark94
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
That's the first thing I did when I lost my fat, Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Bread. It's done nothing but help as far as I can tell...

Codeguru

Ahh alright, was just making sure. After doing research i have heard a lot of things that some people cut out bread all together.... wtf. And they just stick to rice, i think it was something about the GI index.

I have always eaten a mix of Rye Bread and Whole Wheat. But the research i did stumped me.

Anybody able to guess my bf? :S