PDA

View Full Version : Multipule bench grips??

David Lewis
01-13-2011, 06:25 AM
How important is it to change up your bench grip during training?? I have read that using a wide, comp and narrow grip during training helps with the bench. How many actually do this. The only time I really see anyone move thier grip is when they bench narrow to hit the tris, but I never see people move wider than comp grip. What is the real benift of doing this?

WaNNaB3Bigg3r
01-13-2011, 06:34 AM
I use a really wide grip when I train, and only move close grip for tri's like you said.
I would also we intrested to know the benifits.

vdizenzo
01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't use wider than comp grip because I don't want to get my hand smashed into the racks. I have caught the meat of my palm more times than once using just a regular comp grip. I guess that's why they make crazy glue.

mikesbench
01-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Different grips are a nice way to add variety, I have about 4 different grip widths that I'll use. Extra wide, competition legal, pinky grip, and 1/2 way between smooth and line on the bar.

I don't think I would say it's "important" so much, but if you use conjugate training it basically gives you more tools to be able to shift how an exercise is done.

Future
02-15-2011, 12:43 PM
How important is it to change up your bench grip during training?? I have read that using a wide, comp and narrow grip during training helps with the bench. How many actually do this. The only time I really see anyone move thier grip is when they bench narrow to hit the tris, but I never see people move wider than comp grip. What is the real benift of doing this?

I have wondered this as well. Sometimes it doesnt make sense because you use your comp squat stance for speed work. Personally I think use the grip you lift in a meet with unless its for assistance.

Brian C
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Like Mike said, using a conjugate method, every grip is a different ME exercise. I'm currently running a close grip cycle, and when going back to comp grip, there's definately strength gains.