PDA

View Full Version : Question on board presses.

ThomasG
01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I've seen some guys like Travis and Vinny "sink" the bar into the board. However, I've noticed in Eric's videos he does touch 'n go with boards. Which should I be utilizing? I am a raw liter if that matters.

BloodandThunder
01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
All 3 of those guys are great lifters so what they do clearly works for them. So go with what works for you and your leverages by trying all three.

I typically sink on volume work. If I'm doing say a 1RM, I typically just pause on the board. Being a raw lifter, I think you can worry less about becoming a good "board" presser and not seeing a carry over. Sometimes you'll see someone who heaves off the board not see any carryover come shirt time.

ThomasG
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not worried about becoming a good board presser just strengthening me weakness which is mid range and lockout.

drew
01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
The important thing to remember is to control the bar, touch the board and press it. Sinking may work for you, but it's not ideal. A board press should mimmick the bench press. You're not typically going to sink the bar on a competition bench press.

In general, you shouldn't do a lot of the things that Vinny does (form-wise). He's extremely knowledgable and his technique has been perfected to work for him, but the way he benches just doesn't work for everyone.

Brian Hopper
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree with the guys above, find what works for you and what you see is giving you more carryover. I use both styles, I just base it off of feel I guess. Today I did some 4brd lockout with a close grip and all reps were a slight touch-n-go. Do both of them and see which one you like better.

kingns
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I think that if you lightly touch the board you will be better off. It is easy to get good at board pressing and sink and heave off of it. If you use a shirt that might not matter, but as a raw lifter I'd say to not sink into the board. But if it gets you stronger in the long run it doesnt matter how you touch the board.

Travis Bell
01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Actually I don't really sink in the true sense. In my opinion neither does Vin. We do both typically pause though.

If you get enough weight on the bar, it's going to compress your chest a little no matter what, so I could see the impression of sinking, but you need to look at some of the videos of the metal militia guys or the like. That's really sinking. Their hips actually drop a few inches and then come back up on the press.

In my opinion, pausing on boards is better, just from the standpoint that it makes it harder to bounce off the boards. Eric does not bounce off the boards though.

At the end of the day, the biggest issue is to touch in the same point on the boards as you would on your chest. Most people touch way too high on the boards. Like Drew said, control is the bottome line.

ThomasG
01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Actually I don't really sink in the true sense. In my opinion neither does Vin. We do both typically pause though.

If you get enough weight on the bar, it's going to compress your chest a little no matter what, so I could see the impression of sinking, but you need to look at some of the videos of the metal militia guys or the like. That's really sinking. Their hips actually drop a few inches and then come back up on the press.

In my opinion, pausing on boards is better, just from the standpoint that it makes it harder to bounce off the boards. Eric does not bounce off the boards though.

At the end of the day, the biggest issue is to touch in the same point on the boards as you would on your chest. Most people touch way too high on the boards. Like Drew said, control is the bottome line.

Sorry If I misled how you lift I guess I'm not entirely sure what fully sinking is.

It does make a lot of sense to touch where you would pressing without a weight. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Travis Bell
01-13-2011, 07:09 PM
This is a video of a lack of control

aXDNKTowEOU

Watch how his elbows really flare when the bar comes back off the boards. In addition he bounces off the boards.

Travis Bell
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Sorry If I misled how you lift I guess I'm not entirely sure what fully sinking is.

It does make a lot of sense to touch where you would pressing without a weight. Thanks for the advice everyone.

No its not anything wrong, I was just trying to describe what sinking is.

Both have their purposes, but sinking involves a lot more movement is all I was saying.

Brian Hopper
01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
I know Glenn Bagget from NGBB sinks the bar when he does boards because he says it mimics his shirted bench. He is also a big believer in the belly toss bench technique. I don't sink it like you might of been thinking, I just touch-n-go. I think im going to focus on pausing it more and see if I like it better.

mastermonster
01-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I think there might be some merit to sinking it if you are a raw bencher who lets the bar sink into the body before pausing for the press call. I used to have a training partner who competed raw that way. That would somewhat mimick what you'd do on a comp raw attempt. We would let him do his sink and as soon as the downward motion stopped on the board I'd yell press. Trying to keep everything as close to his comp move as possible. Now if we did reps to boards he'd just sink and go. But sunk and paused all singles. If you don't sink your comp press though, I wouldn't reccommend sinking into the board either. P.S. If you do sink your comp presses, I suggest telling the judges before the press. Before this he got red lighted because the judge yelled press and he lowered (sunk) the bar more after the press call.

pricedtosell
01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
From the Elite article on board pressing: "Pause – Stay tight, slow and controlled. Pause at the bottom, then press back up. “This teaches tightness at the bottom, the exact opposite of sinking and is more applicable for a raw bencher than a shirted one.” - Dave Tate

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/how-to-work-wonders-with-a-piece-of-wood-the-elitefts-definitive-guide-to-board-pressing-2/

Travis Bell
01-14-2011, 03:18 AM
P.S. If you do sink your comp presses, I suggest telling the judges before the press. Before this he got red lighted because the judge yelled press and he lowered (sunk) the bar more after the press call.

After the press call, it's not sinking. You can bring the bar as far down as you want until the press call. But after it would be considered downward movement so that'd probably be why he got reds.

bencher8
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Sinking the bar more after the press call would be heaving and would warrant red lights...

as far as sinking or pausing...I dont wanna comment cause most of the time I just bounce the crap outta mine. I call it speed work lol