PDA

View Full Version : opinions needed please

t gale
01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
How possible is it to have ur raw squat and equipped squat go up at same time? can you give both the focus at the same time that is needed? also how much will raw squatting over 90% on wednesday effect your equipped squat for saturday at 85% or better? All opinions valued. thank you

skiboy
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Okay I'm not stating anything other than what I just read in POWER Magazine for January/Febuary 2010 by Louie Simmons.

I think gear is rough on your body and if you are using gear too much you are not building strength. Gear will only do so much: you have to get strong

There is so much more in the article and you should read it to get the full impact but I guess it does not answer your question.

t gale
01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I agree. But my problem is that with only 11 training weeks left that now is not the time to worry about building your raw strength. pretty sure Louie was talking pre meet cycle.

Brian Hopper
01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Since your training for a meet then I would focus on your geared squat. Or maybe work on your raw squat now and when your 8 weeks out then start throwing on your gear. I'm not sure I would be able to squat heavy on Wednesday and then squat in gear on Saturday. Maybe try working up to a heavy single raw then throw the gear on. My last geared meet cycle I think I was in my full squat gear 3x. I was always in single ply briefs for my speed work. Everything else I did was pretty much raw.

NickAus
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
You could build your raw squat with sets of 5, not sure where you personally would fit it in.

kingns
01-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I am trying to solve that same problem. I'e done 531 since my last meet, and now that I have another one coming up I'm using my suit and doing a different type of workout. I know I need to get stronger, but I still wanna train in my suit. To remedy this I am going to make sure I still work hard before I put the suit on, and with it on, not just hit singles but still do good reps in it and make sure I;m still taxing my muscles. I hope I can get BOTH to go up at the same time. But Im using a loose single ply suit so its probly closer than some of the suit brief combinations out there.

JK1
01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
How possible is it to have ur raw squat and equipped squat go up at same time? can you give both the focus at the same time that is needed? also how much will raw squatting over 90% on wednesday effect your equipped squat for saturday at 85% or better? All opinions valued. thank you

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you trying to do this? You are 11 weeks out from your meet. Focus on how you will be lifting in the meet..ie if its a Raw meet, train raw, if its a geared meet, train geared.

Strong is strong, it doesn't matter if its in a squat suit or in knee wraps. The thing about gear is you need to learn how to use it to maximize your carry over. You learn to use it by wearing it.

brauny96
01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
I would say wear gear every week, but do more raw working sets then add gear, I would add in about 4 sets of raw squats then taper them down to 1 when your 2 weeks out, this is what I do, right now I'm tapering off raw squats since I'm about 7 weeks out.