PDA

View Full Version : Eventually i'll be strong/lean/fast. Eventually i'll update this.

TKisner
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Whats up brochachos. I've started a couple of these journals on here. The only one which I did a good job of keeping updated was my Smolov journal. It's a new year though so I might keep this one current, maybe lol. Anyways the goals for 2011 are

9% body fat
40" vertical (this one is impossible)
350lb raw bench
525lb raw (belted) squat
500lb raw (belted) deadlift
4.69 40 yard dash

Right now on the bodyfat front. I'm hanging out in the low teens. Probably 13-14%. Maybe less. I'm not too sure. 9% is the goal, but it's going to end up being lower. Thats a guarantee. I've never been lean in my adult life. I've always been in the middle teens. This is the year where it's gonna happen.

40" vertical is probably impossible for me, but I figure if i'm about 185lbs squatting & deadlifting in the 5's with a big bench god damnit I should be able to jump. My lower body training will shift towards more athletic stuff once the strength goals are met in the squat/dead.

The 350lb bench is gonna be a real toughy to get. I'm not sure why I picked that number. I'm not sure what the significance of 3 plates plus a 10's 5's and 2.5's are. Its the number that popped in my head. My all time best was 335lbs raw, but I was 15lbs heavier @ 215lbs compared to 200lbs now. Right now all my benching has been close grip to spare my crappy, but improving shoulders. I can hit about 270CG. So widen out a bit and I think 300 is feasable.

525lb belted raw squat. I'm not sure if i'll get this before I get the deadlift goal. I squatted 405x3 today for 3 with no belt. 4 days ago I did 435 for a single with very nice depth, again beltless. I figure i'm good for about 450 totally raw right now, if my core can handle it I know my legs can.

500lb deadlift. It might appear weird to have a DL goal be below my squat goal. The reason for this is my whole life I have never deadlifted with chalk. Grip strength was a big issue. I got chalk for Christmas. I can not believe the difference it makes. I hit 425 for a single about a week ago and it shot up pretty fast. Definitely more in the tank. I would like to hit this soon. This is the probably the easiest of my lifting related goals.

4.69 40 yard dash. I played football my whole life. I was always a very smart and quick player, but never a fast player. I just want to be fast. I'm probably like a 4.9 person now although I haven' t run it in forever. This goal kinda coincides with the huge vert. So it should be fun to chase.

Jan 8th workout
Cressey mobility circuit
BB back squat all sets by 135x3,225x3,275x3,315x3,365x3, 405x1, 435x1
Lat pulldowns 140 5x5
Standing military 135x3,145x3,155x3,165x3,175x1
Push ups 25
The 435 squat was a real grinder. This was the closest i've come to failure in a very long time. I took a video of the 405 just to make sure my depth was good. I was definitely getting parallel. I was really surprised I got it because I felt like crap, but sometimes those are my best days.

Jan 10th workout
Cressey mobility circuit
DL 135x5,225x3,315x3, 365x3, 395x3, 415x2
Neutral grip cable rows 140 5x5
Cable pushdowns 80lbs 5x5
Suitcase DB holds 110x30 seconds

Jan 13 workout
Cressey mobility circuit
Back Squat 135x5,225x5,315x3,365x3,395x1,405x3
Standing military 135x5,145x3,155x3,165x2,165x2
Chin ups 5x5 BW all the way up all the way down
Kneeling pallof presses 10 second isometric holds 3x3each side 30lbs
I probably should have took more sets to work up to the 405x3 squat. It was my goal to hit that coming in. Once I got it I was pretty happy. It was tough though. My face/head was shaking like an epileptic lol

TKisner
01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Jan 15th workout
Cressey mobility circuit
Powerclean 135x5
DL 225x3,315x3,365x3,395x3,425x1,450x1
CG Cable Row 140lbs 5x5
CG Bench 135x5,185x5,225x3,235x2
BB Rollouts 3x10
Pushups 25

I wanted to get a 450 deadlift. I did. I was very happy about that. I thought my low back was rounded but I videotaped it and i thought it looked better than it felt. Here's the video. Sorry the angle is awkward. I put my droid in my shoe to take this lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyjE-0fWCVk

TKisner
01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Just some thoughts about yesterday workout. I definitely feel like doing cleans warmed up my cns. All my lifts felt effortless for the most part.. I think doing have bb bench 2 times a week plus heavy military presses is just too much. I'm gonna lighten up one of those days and make it more of a high rep exercise.

TKisner
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Jan 17 workout
Abbreviated Cressey Mobility Circuit
BB back squat 135x5,225x3,275x3,315x3,365x3,395x3,405x1,425x1,445xfail
5x5 Chin Ups
Standing BB Militaries 115x8,135x8,135x7
Suitcase DB Holds, 110x30secondsx3

The squats were interesting. the 405 I thought was 425, but I loaded it wrong lol. The 425 felt solid. The 445 felt good too, however, I was nervous about it so I raised the safety bars up and ended up bouncing the barbell off of it. That threw me off and I decided to throw in the towel instead of try and grind it out. The tap caused me to lean forward and I didn't feel like risking my back trying to recover from it. The rest of the workout wasn't anything too interesting.

Last night was a cheat day of sorts. I loaded up on some peanut butter, spinach bread, chili, ate a box of italian ice, and like 20 taquito things. Woke up about 4lbs heavier, but by tomorrow or the day after I should be back to normal. I'll outline my diet when I get home. I'm also gonna put up the video I shot of the 395x3 and the 425.

TKisner
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIbAF8betQ

Brian Hopper
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
That angle isn't the best, but as far as the depth, it doesn't look that bad. Nice work!!!!

TKisner
01-20-2011, 07:33 AM
That angle isn't the best, but as far as the depth, it doesn't look that bad. Nice work!!!!
Thanks a lot., I'm really trying to hit some impressive numbers this year and make myself a better strength athlete/athlete.

Brian Hopper
01-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks a lot., I'm really trying to hit some impressive numbers this year and make myself a better strength athlete/athlete.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm trying to do the same thing.

TKisner
01-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Jan 19th Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Powerclean 135x5
DL 225x3,315x3,365x3,395x3,405x4
CG BB Bench 135x5,185x5, 215x5, 225x4,225x4
CG Cable Row 140lb 5x5
Kneeling Pallof Press 30lbs 3x10
25 pushups

The 405x4 on deadlifts was tough, but solid. I lifted early in the morning because I was flying back to school later in the day. The gym I went to plays the absolute worst music in the morning. It was painful to listen to, but now that i'm back at school I wont have any music while I workout, unfortunately.

TKisner
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Tried to go lifting yesterday, but the school gym was closed. I ended up playing basketball for an hour or so. When I was done I saw a kid had broken into the gym. I was pretty exhausted from running around so I called it a day.

I'm not too sure if I'm gonna lift today. I'm a huge bears fan so ill definitely be watching that game, and I go to school in the middle of steelers country so I might watch that game and pray the jets win.

TKisner
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I went to the gym today. Originally my goal was to see what my powerclean max is. I thought the lower weight would give my body a rest, but things didn't go according to plan. Fortunately, it all worked out for the better, I think.

Jan 23 Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Powerclean 135x3, 185x3
Deadlifts 315x1 365x2 405x1 430x1 460x1 (new PR) 470x1 (new PR)
Ab rollouts with 10 second isometric holds 3x3
Hip flexor stretch with reach

So like I said before I wanted to see what I could clean, but after two sets I really wasn't feeling like doing it so I switched over to deads and I'm glad I did. The speed on all of them was pretty good. I feel like once i'm off the floor i'm flying, but looking at the video's i've taken of myself deadlifting they just feel like they take a long time. The lifts are actually completed rather quick. My lower back rounded a little bit on the 470, but it's a PR attempt I know its not gonna be perfect.

The whole time I was deadlifting there were Freshman football players in the gym squatting 3 and 4 plates. They had a ROM of maybe half a foot. I was gonna video tape it, but never got around to it. Oh well, theres always next time i'm sure they'll be more stupid ***** to video tape this year.

Brian Hopper
01-24-2011, 06:42 PM
That's funny, don't you just love those high squats!!!

TKisner
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
It's fun to watch, but I forgot to mention something else that happened that wasn't so funny. The gym is a weird shape and there is a small walkway all the way through it. By one of the chokepoints where you have to walk there is a squat rack. I don't remember if I was finishing a set or changing the weights, but I heard a loud crashing noise. I look over the idiot had taken all the weight off one side leaving three plates on the other the bar flipped over and crashed into a machine. If anyone was walking through that spot they would've been in serious condition. The idiot was laughing about it. If I was anywhere near that when it happened I would have torn him apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVceGDUCE6I

Brian Hopper
01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
That would of pissed me off also :ninja:

Strong pull, that looked like an easy PR!!!

TKisner
01-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Today's workout
CG BB Bench 135x5 185x3 205x3 225x3 235x3 245x3 265x1 275xfail

Squat 135x3 box jumpx3 225x3 box jumpx3 315x3 365x3 385x3 405x3

Pallof press 10 reps each side 30lbs
BB Row 10 reps 155lbs
Pallof press 10reps each side 30lbs
BB Row 10 reps 155lbs
Pallof press 10reps each side 30lbs
BB Row 10 reps 155lbs

My body is telling me it's time to deload. For the past month every single workout has been heavy and hard. I have a cold right now. I think for the next week i'm going to work on conditioning and lighten up the weights. The bench press failure bothered me, but I thought to myself, i'm sick, i don't have a lift/spotter i'll be okay. I've got 4 tubs of results waiting to be used. I wanted to lean up before I started using them, but its looking very tempting.

TKisner
01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Okay well my little deload deal has been pretty nice. I've taken about 5 days off from any real lifting. I went into the gym on friday. I was going to do a bodyweight circuit, but the school's football team was maxing out so it was a bunch of quarter squats and chest bounce benches going on. I ended up pretty much wasting time for about ten minutes. I wanted to go running in the large rec center, but the schools lesbian club (softball team) was practicing in there.

Saturday hit up a sushi bar with my girlfriend for her dads birthday. Put down a couple of rolls, and a huge basket of Chinese doughnuts. Then went back to their house and ate a half gallon of vanilla ice cream with caramel.

Today I ate a medium dominos pizza, a bunch of toast, bacon, and other deliciousness.

Now that the deload is behind me i'm gonna lay out my plan.

Mondays-
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Box Jumps
ME Squat or Dead
Anti-Flexion Abs

Wednesday-
Cressey Mobility Circuit
DE Bench
DE Squat or Dead
Anti Rotation Abs

Friday-
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Bench
Anti-Lateral Flexion

Saturday-
EC Mob Circuit
ME Squat or Dead

Sunday-
EC Mob Circuit
ME Bench

For the benching programming I'm going to be going with the template from 30lbs in 30days by Chris Mason. I'm not going to be doing the rest of the program as prescribed so I won't pass judgment on the program.

Accessory work for ME squat days will be glute hams. For deadlifts it will be reverse hypers, and probably cleans. Thats the general plan for now. I'm sure i'll tweak it slightly to suit my needs.

TKisner
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Today was an exciting day for two reasons. One, I was getting back into lifting, and too my girlfriend was coming with me. She has experienced back pain since a car accident she was in a couple of years ago. I told her I could probably help to alleviate some of her pain. She has slipped discs in her lower back, not real bad, but not great. We'll see how it goes.

I woke up at 7:30 I have no class on Mondays so at first I tried to go back to bed, figuring i'd sleep until 10 and then go workout, but I figured i'm up i'll take advantage of it. I read the bulletproof back articles on t-nation by Eric Cressey, I read a couple more articles by Brett Conteras about the Reverse Hyper and training women, read some Mike Robertson then wrote what I felt to be a very solid beginner program.

For her we ended up doing
EC Mobility Circuit
Sumo Deadlifts off of blocks 4x5 work sets (she could probably pull full sized plates, but the confidence isn't there, and we will ratchet the intensity up as time goes on. Super easy to coach, say it once and its done, had a great arched back the whole time)
Unweighted Reverse Hypers 3x15 (Didn't go into flexion and the bottom, or hyperextension at the top. Worked the medium ROM to get blood flowing for rehab effect, and strength)
Pushups off of a bar in a rack a couple short of failure for 5 sets
Rows a couple short of failure for 6 sets
Side Planks 2x30 2x30 seconds
Middle Planks 2x30 seconds
Pallof Press 2x10 10lbs

It was a lot of fun watching her work, and helping her. The goal is to bulletproof the lower back, by greatly strengthening the abs, glutes, and hamstrings. We'll see how it goes.

My workout was as follows
EC Mobility Circuit
Power Clean 135x5
Deadlift 225x3 315x3 365x3 385x3 405x3 415x3 (belted)
Unweighted Reverse Hypers 3x15
Suitcase DB holds 120lbs 3x30 seconds each side

Today felt like a day that I was supposed to be in the gym. I don't know if I was just enjoying myself 'cause my girlfriend was there or what have you, but the 415 felt pretty easy. I don't want to push myself too much because I'll be hitting a high one rep this weekend. The whole time I was lifting the football weightlifting coach was in there squatting 225 high it made me lol. The reverse hypers pumped the hell out of my back. I figure it might be good to start throwing them in as a preventative thing. I've pretty much stopped doing all lower body accessory work. I'm hitting the big lifts so frequently. For the suitcase holds I feel them pretty well, but I'm going to switch them to carries, and just do one lap around the indoor track. It's smaller than a 1/4 mile and will be a great grip/ab workout.

TKisner
02-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Here is the new revision of the workout plan. The reasoning for the small amounts of pushing movements is both my shoulders are jacked up and rounded forward.

Mondays-
Mobility- Cressey Mobility Circuit
Activation- Box Jumps (squats) Powercleans (deadlifts)
Main Movement- ME Squat or Dead (5RM MAX)
Accessory Legs: Glute Ham or Reverse Hyper (higher reps)
Accessory Upper Body- Pushups or Rows (higher reps)
Abs- Anti-Flexion

Wednesday-
Activation: Glute Bridges
Main Movement- Box jumps, Vertical jumps, Hurdle hops (jump over hurdle and land on ground), Box squat into box jumps, Depth jumps (onto box), Weighted Reactive box jumps, or Cleans
Accessory Legs: Nothing
Accessory Upper Body- Chins
Abs- Anti Rotation

Friday-
Activation- Box Jumps (squats) Powercleans (deadlifts)
Main Movement- ME Squat or Dead (1RM MAX)
Accessory Legs: Unilateral (higher reps)
Accessory Upper Body- Pushups or Rows

Saturday-
Activation- Depth drop push ups
Main Movement- ME Bench Movement
Accessory Legs: Nothing
Accessory Upper Body- Chins & Triceps
Abs- Anti Lateral Flexion

If you haven't already check out Steve Colescott's new podcast. Its got the swole patrol, contreras, starnes, aragon among others, and is very interesting. http://feeds.feedburner.com/iron_subculture

TKisner
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
The string of awesome updates continue. Haha

Feb 2 Workout
Cressey Mobility

Glute Bridges 5 reps 100lbs

Seated box jumps (35" box?) 5 reps, Hip Flexor Stretch (30 seconds each side)
Seated box jumps (35" box?) 5 reps,

Chin Ups 5 reps, Hip Rotator Stretch (30 seconds each side)
Chin Ups 5 reps,

I forgot to do abs. I have no idea how I could overlook it, but I did. It was weird going into the gym and not putting a heavy bar in my back or in my hands. It wasn't as fun to do the dynamic jumping and stretching, but it'll help the lifting in the long run. The hip flexor stretch was done, because I sit all day and their tight..... Simple enough. The hip rotator stretch is one of the 2 that Defranco prescribes to every athlete that comes through his door (the other is hip flexor). He really didn't specify why, but sometimes you just assume someone knows more than you and accept it. My right side is alot tighter than my left side. Looking forward to working up towards a heavy 1 rm Dead on Friday.

My weight was 197 with a shirt, shorts, underwear, and socks on. If I can see the 180's again it would be the first time in about 7 years (since freshman/soph year hs).

I have an intestinal disorder which cause bleeding, malabsorbtion, and other negative consequences. I did alot of reading recently and discovered that Glutamine has the ability to reverse this. Considering a majority of the glutamine in the body goes into the intestines, and that hard training can reduce glutamine levels up to 50% after training it can be pretty easily inferred that hard training would be bad for someone with this disorder and supplementation is necessary. Inulin has the ability to foster probiotic growth. So i'm very excited to see how that turns out in conjunction with my consumption of raw dairy products.

TKisner
02-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Feb 4 Workout
Cressey Mobility
Powerclean 135,185
Deadlift 315x3,365x3,405x1,435x1, 465xfail

Bulgarian Elevated Split Squat W/30lb dbs 3x12

DB rows 80x8 Kneeling Pallof 40lbs 10 reps
DB rows 85x8 Kneeling Pallof 40lbs 10 reps
DB rows 90x8 Kneeling Pallof 40lbs 10 reps

I was very disappointed with the deadlifting, but I guess some days its just not there. Life goes on. I felt like the rows were solid with back parallel to the floor and all that good stuff.

Feb 5
Played football outdoors for 2 hours and had a blast. It was nice getting some conditioning in, but my legs and my hip flexors especially are very sore.

TKisner
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Feb 6 workout
Cressey Mobility
Med Pulls throws 1x5
CG Bench 135x5, 185x3, 205x3 225x3
Medium Grip Bench 235x3,245x2, 255x1, 265x1
Chin ups 5x5

The 265x1 was a definite max bench. My form is definitely not where it needs to be. I'm alot stronger when I keep my arms tucked, but I don't feel very stable. I need to really pounds form. As soon as the weight gets heavy it goes out the window

Feb 7 Workout
Cressey Mobility
Box Jumps 3
BB Back squat 225x3
Box jumps 3
BB back squat 315x5, 335x5, 345x5, 360x5

Glute Ham Raises 3x10 Bodyweight

DB Rows 80x8, 90x8,100x8

Suitcase DB carries around track 80lbs

The suitcase carries had my forearms and obliques on fire. Definitely a good exercise for grip strength, and anti-lateral ab work.

Feb 9 Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Speed deadlifts with 185 supersetted with 5 chin ups 5 sets
Kneeling Pallof presses 3x10 50lbs

TKisner
02-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Feb 11 Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
BB Back Squat 135x3 Box Jump x3
BB Back Squat 225x2, 275x2, 315x1, 365x1, 395x1, 415x1, 440x1

DB rows 80x8
DB rows 90x8
DB rows 100x8

Called it a workout there. The squat was very satisfying. I had the footballs teams S&C coach in the gym, and I could see him staring at me wondering why I go below parallel lol.

feb 12 workout
2 hours of pickup football. We call it the megabowl for anyone who is familiar with the Will Ferrell movie Semi-Pro. It's nice to condition. After this I ate a 9x13 cake, green bean casserole, and London broil made by the girlfriend. It was all delicious.

Feb 13 Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Med Ball Pushed x4
CG Bench 135x3, 135x3, 185x3, 185x3, 205x3 225x3
Med Grip Bench 235x2, 245x2, 255x3

Chin Ups 5x5
BB Ab Rollouts 3x10

I watched Dave Tate's so you think you can bench series on youtube and it definitely changed helped. I've changed some things around and feel much more stable. My bar path is no longer coming towards my face. The only thing I wish I had was a lift. Then I could set up perfect, but its good for now. I started taking results Friday, and am looking forward to the strength gains over the next several months. I have decided to focus on my strength goals for now, and then around the beginning of April begin to work on the BF% Athletic goals.

Brian Hopper
02-13-2011, 02:30 PM
That's cool to see that those videos helped you out. I have been wanting to watch them myself as well.

TKisner
02-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah the video's are truly fantastic. Honestly, to see the knowledge he has about the lift is just ridiculous. He sees things the average trainee simply doesn't even think to look at. My brother is in the Navy I downloaded all the videos to send out to him. Hopefully they can help him as much as they do me.

Feb 14 Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
Powerclean 135x3
DL 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 385x3, 405x3, 435x5
DB Rows 80x8, 90x8, 100x8
3 rounds of Suitcase DB Holds 30 seconds 120lbs supersetted with 15 reps of BW Reverse hypers

I was happy with the deadlifting. It was touch and go. There is no doubt in my mind that the stretch reflex played a role in it, but the weight went up the weight went down. The Planet Fitness man would be happy. I found a cheap source of protein. Kroger Carbmaster yogurt 12g protein 1.5 fat 4 carbs (1 fiber, 3 sugar). I've been eating them non-stop. I'm sincerely considering going to the store and asking the manager if I can buy boxes. I think I ate 7 cups today on top of sushi I had for lunch, bacon/eggs/sweet potato I had for dinner.

TKisner
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Okay I have a lot of workouts to write out here so it'll be a bit long.

Feb 16 workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
5 rounds of 5 Box Jumps supersetted with 30 second hip flexor stretch

5 rounds of 5 chin ups supersetted with 30 second glute rotator stretch

Pallof Press 3x10 50lbs

Feb 18 Workout
Cressey Mobility
Powerclean 135x3
Deadlift 225x3, 315x3, 365x1, 405x1, 445x1,475x1, fail 495
DB Rows 85x8,95x8,105x8

Feb 20 Workout
Cressey Mobility
CG Bench 135x3, 135x3, 185x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225x3, 235x3, 245x3
Med Grip Bench 255x2
Chin Ups 5x5

Feb 21 Workout
Cressey Mobility
Box Jumps 3
BB Back Squat 225x5
Box Jumps 3
BB Back Squat 315x5, 335x5, 355x5, 365x5
DB Rows 85x8,95x8,105x8

Feb 25 Workout
Cressey Mobility Circuit
BB Back Squat 225x3, 315x1, 365x1, 395x1, 415x1, 435x1, 450x1
DB Rows 85x8,95x8,105x8

Feb 26 Workout
Med Grip Bench 135x8, 225x10, 135x5(5 sec eccentric/concentric, same
Powerclean 135x5, 225x3, 255x2, 275x1, 295x no way
Suitcase Carries, 130lbs trap bar, multiple trips around rec center.

Brian Hopper
02-26-2011, 06:29 PM
That's alot, nice work though, lol.

TKisner
07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
The plans for this log are to of course log my workouts and nutrition. I'll hopefully be showing some of my paleo inspired badass meals once I start cooking again (im doing a shake PSMF). I'm also looking to get some strength back after graduating, traveling, and relocating. So we'll see what happens. I'll log tomorrows workout, tomorrow lol