PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 max

cutter
01-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Sometime in the next few days I plan on testing my abilities, but I have a couple questions.

How do I prepare myself? Should I take a day off for rest? Should I eat normal before hand? I usually eat 20 to 40 minutes before a workout.
How many reps?
What would be the most appropriate warm up that wouldn't drain strength? I usually run sprints, and do very little stretching.
What about the cool off? I stretch and bike or run sprints after a work out.

Thanks.

Sean S
01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Just eat like you normally would leading up to your testing. There's no need to try any new. Don't kill yourself in training in the few days before your testing, but you don't have to do a full week off or anything since you aren't competing in a meet. For warm-ups, do whatever you absolutely need to without any extra that will drain your energy. If you normally do sprints first, you might skip them and just do 5-10 minutes of easy cardio to get the blood flowing then start with a light weight and work up using relatively low reps. If you were warming up to a SQ in the low 400's here's how I would do it:
mobility work (~5 minutes)
bar x15
135x8
225x5
315x1-2
365x1
405x1 (any further attempts will be dictated by how this looked and felt)

You can scale this to whatever your strength levels are, just follow the same principles. You can cool off however you want. It doesn't make much difference.