PDA

View Full Version : Is it still "water" ?

arctic
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
If you mix your water with protein/oatmeal/drink mix/etc. do you still count it as part of your daily water intake?

ie If my aim is to drink a gallon of water per day, should I count the water I used for my protein shakes/ iced tea mix/ etc. toward my 1 gallon goal?

Dan Fanelli
01-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes.

Codeguru
01-15-2011, 02:37 PM
It does but I don't count it just for form's sake. It's a lot easier to meet your goals when you overshoot them. Plus just knowing you have a "surplus" of something can help take the stress off...

Codeguru

kjd2121
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Uh, well. Did you drink the water? If yes then it would count toward total intake. Right??

Why is this so difficult for some?

tuna4me
01-21-2011, 04:27 PM
If you're just aiming for ONE gallon of water a day... be mindful that comes to only 128oz....which means you must weigh 128lbs?..............recommended water intake is 1 oz of water for each 1lb of bodyweight.......why cut your muscles short?.. when they are 75% water!!... give them all they need to grow!! :clap:

Mark!
01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I was always informed recommded water intake is .5 oz per each lb of body weight, not a straight 1 per 1 conversion.

Codeguru
01-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I was always informed recommded water intake is .5 oz per each lb of body weight, not a straight 1 per 1 conversion.

I dunno about anything but the iconic 8 glasses a day rule. Though at 130-140oz a day, I pee pretty often. I think it would be a life quality issue if I drank much more. So I'll prefer to believe the .5 oz stuff, heh...

Codeguru

Mark!
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah I piss frequently, and keep my urine straw colored, which is recommended. So, it's possible, the best way to determine hydration is by urine color? That's what I go by. If it's clear, I drink less..if it's yellow, I drink more.

tuna4me
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
There are some many websites which do report a multitude of opinions when it comes to water intake. The Intl. Sports Medicine Institute for example states 2/3 oz per each lb of bodyweight.
The USDA on the other hand states a healthy adult male needs 2.7 liters a day.

BUT... each person is different in the amount we sweat, the amount of physical exercise we get per day and other parameters as well.

I don't know as if color of urine is a true indication due to supplements, vitamins etc giving color effects.

even if one reviews the entire range of data supplied.....5 oz to each 1lb bodyweight or 2/3 oz per lb of bodyweight.........I personally don't think for me...1 oz per 1 lb is over doing it.... after a few days my body adapts and the continually bathroom trips subside..... which tends to make me beleive my body, organs and muscle and tisssues are utilizing it!...............I'd rather give my body all it needs that come up short!.. :eek:

Jorge Sanchez
01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
I've read that you should count all liquids, except alcoholic drinks, towards your water intake but I've never checked into the credibility of the statement.

Mark!
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I've read that you should count all liquids, except alcoholic drinks, towards your water intake but I've never checked into the credibility of the statement.

Well technically yes, everything, just about, is made up of a lot of water. You have cucumbers, tomatoes, oranges and such have a lot of water in them, plus most drinks are composed of water as well. I was always told that that's pretty much just extra, and that you should shoot for straight water consumption to whatever level you aim for. I'm sure you could probably find out how much water, ballpark, comes from each thing you eat/drink, but to me, that'd be a royal pain in the ass. Unless like fitday, someones already done the legwork for me, I'll stick to just adding up how much WATER, I drink.

Alestar
01-25-2011, 04:54 AM

I agree on that the water intake is 5.oz per each lb of body weight ..And water is very useful for the body.If you will drink one gallon of water per day then it would be count for them...

jahncrish
01-27-2011, 03:32 AM
If you mix your water with protein/oatmeal/drink mix/etc. do you still count it as part of your daily water intake?

ie If my aim is to drink a gallon of water per day, should I count the water I used for my protein shakes/ iced tea mix/ etc. toward my 1 gallon goal?

Definitely it counts,the only thing is water is mixed with up some oats and some proteins.

ncsuLuke
01-27-2011, 05:24 AM
I wouldn't count water in things like coffee or other caffeinated beverages since caffeine is a diuretic and causes you to lose water.