PDA

View Full Version : Are DB (kroc) rows really that good?

Dan Fanelli
01-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Ive always seen people praise this exercise. Is it really that good? Or is it just because Kroc is a beast, so people just do it to emulate him?

Also, my gym's dbs only go up to 125lbs. Right now I can probably do 100x10. Is there enough room for progression there?

And lastly. In building up my back, do they really offer something that clean and press, pullups, and seated cable rows cant?

nickp8
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM
They are definitely a very solid choice and along with pull ups are probably the best bang for the buck. When you can do 125lbs. for 25 or 30 then you need some heavier DB's. So you have a ton of room. They also help your grip a lot.

Lones Green
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I think they could be used effectively, but I switched to dumbbell rows with strict form and a little less weight and saw more growth.

Brian Hopper
01-15-2011, 07:45 PM
I have done them a few times and I like them. From my understanding you are suppose to do as many reps with the heaviest weight you can handle. So if you can do 100x10 fairly easy then I would try for more reps.

Travis Bell
01-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I think they could be used effectively, but I switched to dumbbell rows with strict form and a little less weight and saw more growth.

this

SELK
01-16-2011, 12:06 AM
They work great for building upperback and grip I found.

Sounds like you don't have enough weight though. I had this problem once I got to the 170lbs dbs.

Hobo Beard
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Kroc was a great powerlifter, but Kroc rows are a bull****/show-off-for-the-video-cameras exercise to me.

Heavy (6-8 reps) DB rows without straps has help build my grip strength immensely over the past few years.

When powerlifting, I think pulldowns, chest-supported rows, DB rows and 1-arm Hammer Strength rows are the best exercises.

Any exercise I just started doing is 1-arm BB rows. Anchor a barbell in a corner, grab the thick end of the barbell and do 1-arm rows.

Great alternative to DB rows and it kills the grip!

Tom Mutaffis
01-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I would treat Kroc rows as an 'overload' movement rather than a cornerstone of your program; just like lockout work for bench press. You can handle more weight but to optimize overall strength/muscle gains it would be beneficial to also mix in some rows with more controlled form.

As others have mentioned, most people typically do 'Kroc Rows' in the 20-25 rep range.

jtteg_x
01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I love 'Kroc rows' for sake of change. However, I discovered an alternative called "DB Deadstops". It's the same movement but letting the DB fully stop at the ground after each rep. I would see that being more beneficial for mass considering the more ROM.