PDA

View Full Version : Starting out on Starter Strength

Spiderfx
01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi guys, well im just starting on the Starter Strength routine. Im 22, 6' 2" and weight 280lb. While at uni i trained with a few power lifters for around 6 months, so not all my weight is unhealthy fat. But i am overweight. Now the FAQ says, the best thing to do during SS is to bulk eat. So can i bulk eat while doing SS without gaining more bmi or body fat %? Im not arsed about loosing the fat, but i dont want to gain even more fat, i want the strength and mass gains. And how can i find out what calories i need to maintain a living body, and how many calories should i be eating over that to bulk eat for SS and gain the strength and mass, and not more fat?

StLRPh
01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
you don't have to eat an excess of calories to do SS. If you eat at maintenance or below you may not progress quite as quickly or possibly as far. But you will still progress.

Hope that helps.

tom183
01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
So can i bulk eat while doing SS without gaining more bmi or body fat %? Im not arsed about loosing the fat, but i dont want to gain even more fat, i want the strength and mass gains.

If you're looking to gain weight some of it is going to be fat.

And how can i find out what calories i need to maintain a living body,

Theres lots of formulas and online calculators but the most accurate way is to track what you eat and count calories.

Codeguru
01-16-2011, 01:43 AM
I know it sucks getting fatter but I've been getting amazing results just going from 170 to 180 and back. My bodyshape is really not changing at all and I've upped my benchpress max from 225 to 245 easily in about a month. Granted that is amateur hour but not having a calorie surplus for my muscles to chew on wasn't getting me anywhere. Maybe there is a weight like that for everyone, I dunno...

Codeguru

Behemoth
01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi guys, well im just starting on the Starter Strength routine. Im 22, 6' 2" and weight 280lb. While at uni i trained with a few power lifters for around 6 months, so not all my weight is unhealthy fat. But i am overweight. Now the FAQ says, the best thing to do during SS is to bulk eat. So can i bulk eat while doing SS without gaining more bmi or body fat %? Im not arsed about loosing the fat, but i dont want to gain even more fat, i want the strength and mass gains. And how can i find out what calories i need to maintain a living body, and how many calories should i be eating over that to bulk eat for SS and gain the strength and mass, and not more fat?

Multiply your body weight by 15 for rough maintenance. 4200 calories.

Spiderfx
01-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Multiply your body weight by 15 for rough maintenance. 4200 calories.

Awesome thankyou!