PDA

View Full Version : A 700 pound Hack Squat

Brian205
01-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi Guys,

On June 8, 2010, Pro Bodybuilder Zack "KING" Khan sustained a major injury while hack squatting 700lbs. He underwent surgery to repair two detached tendons in both knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuuzW5oNL9k

Just wondering, Is it too much weight for a Pro Bodybuilder,

Can Legit or Elite Powerlfters hack squat 700 pounds with ease.

There are Powerlifters that can squat 1000 lbs, so I guess they can hack squat 700 lbs,

:)

Lones Green
01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm guessing this was a hack squat machine, not a barbell on the floor lifted behind him.

It looks like the heavy weight works for him, he has tremendous size. Hack squat machines are known to be hard on the knees though, kind of like squatting on a smith machine. Most hack squat machines put your knees way in front of your toes.

I don't think a lot of powerlifters do them. But I'm sure some do

Brian205
01-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah Zack is super muscular,

Tom Mutaffis
01-16-2011, 09:07 AM
On June 8, 2010, Pro Bodybuilder Zack "KING" Khan sustained a major injury while hack squatting 700lbs. He underwent surgery to repair two detached tendons in both knees.

Just wondering, Is it too much weight for a Pro Bodybuilder,

There are some bodybuilders who do heavy hack squats, but I would not use them as a measure of strength or as a primary lower body training movement.

Travis Bell
01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
If I recall correctly from the pictures I saw, he was indeed using a barbell.

But like Tom said, it's not a really good test of strength so I'm not sure there is a correlation to be made here. Until hack squats are a part of a powerlifting competition, I doubt you'll see too many guys maxing out on them as a main exercise.

mastermonster
01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
When I was a bodybuilder I did them on a Hack squat machine. I've gone as high as 16 plates (approx. 800 lbs.) for reps and knew a couple of other BBers who did them that heavy. I could have 'maybe' done a raw comp. legal squat of 500 lbs. them. They were brutal on the front of my knees (patella tendons) when done with my feet close and under my hips like they would be done with a bar on the floor behind you. They were great for the quads as a BBer, but every 3 to 4 weeks I'd have to alter my form for a couple of weeks or so by moving my feet forward to the front of the platform and out to the outer edges. This took the pressure off the knees but also made it less of a quad isolator due to the greater envolvement of the glutes and hams. And most bodybuilders don't want the glutes over develped. I was also much stronger in the altered footing; going as high as 20 plate for reps. However it was not as effective of an exercise for my goals.

I can't imagin what the pressure would be like doing them with a bar off the floor with 700! That's unreal and much heavier than 700 would be on a hack slide machine! Given the extreme leaness of most pro BBers and tight dieting, I'm not supprized that this move with that weight could tear the tendons. I saw no carry over to my squats for what that's worth, and haven't done them since I gave up BBing in 2002. I've squatted 650 raw in competition since stopping them.

I wish him a speedy recovery! Obviously a very strong bodybuilder!

Screwtape!
01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I remember bodybuilder Chris Cormier used to use 800lbs for hack squats. I'm pretty sure the late O.D. Wilson could do around 900 or so, of course he was a 1000lb+ squatter at 6'5", so he definitely had some serious leg strength.

Brian205
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Zack Khan's Road to Recovery - Blog Entry #31

left knee operation again, December 03, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQNzIHDGM6g&feature=related

Zack Khan's Road to Recovery - Blog Entry #34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk4S364oNdE&feature=related

This is suppose to be on the Bodybuilding section, but he's one strong mofo, comparable to powerlifters.

Brian Hopper
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
That sucks, I hope he heals up fast!!!!