PDA

View Full Version : simplest effective diet for AF

TheRealDeal930
01-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I need help with my diet. I am 19 years old. 5'3" around 156 lbs now. I competed in 3 powerlifting contest with the ADAU. I think I know how to train effectively, i just need diet help. I've added complexes to the end of my workouts from http://www.wannabebig.com/training/complexes-for-fat-loss/

I'm going to Air Force basic training on March 1st, and i'm trying to slim down and be in better running/cardio shape.

I want the absolute simplest diet. I don't care if its eating the same thing over and over agian

can i just eat boneless skinless baked chicken (around 1.5 lbs), whole grain oatmeal (4 servings), and bananas(1-2) all day. (thats basically what i've been doing) I also drink green tea and alot of water.
sometimes I make chicken tacos with whole wheat tortillas. they're low carb high fiber tortillas. lettuce tomato, onion, and 5 calorie taco sauce.

anything i'm missing here? extra foods? any advice at all is appreciated.

edit: I also take a multi-vitamin, joint health, fish oil, and creatine monohydrate. (1 pill each and 5g of creatine)

Dan Fanelli
01-16-2011, 01:48 PM
I dont think diet is going to be the main issue here. Sure you can eat clean, but its not going to make much of a difference as long as you are eating somewhat half way decent.

You are confusing being lean/skinny with being conditioned. One has more to do with looks, the other with performance.

You'd be better off eating somehwat decent and working on your running/jogging and other conditioning.

TheRealDeal930
01-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I dont think diet is going to be the main issue here. Sure you can eat clean, but its not going to make much of a difference as long as you are eating somewhat half way decent.

You are confusing being lean/skinny with being conditioned. One has more to do with looks, the other with performance.

You'd be better off eating somehwat decent and working on your running/jogging and other conditioning.

I am working on running/jogging, i just figured being lighter would make it easier

Behemoth
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
I am working on running/jogging, i just figured being lighter would make it easier

It will.

Simply count your calories. Drop a few hundred calories if you're not losing weight. Done.

ryuage
01-17-2011, 04:48 PM
agreed

Codeguru
01-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I need help with my diet. I am 19 years old. 5'3" around 156 lbs now. I competed in 3 powerlifting contest with the ADAU. I think I know how to train effectively, i just need diet help. I've added complexes to the end of my workouts from http://www.wannabebig.com/training/complexes-for-fat-loss/

I'm going to Air Force basic training on March 1st, and i'm trying to slim down and be in better running/cardio shape.

I want the absolute simplest diet. I don't care if its eating the same thing over and over agian

can i just eat boneless skinless baked chicken (around 1.5 lbs), whole grain oatmeal (4 servings), and bananas(1-2) all day. (thats basically what i've been doing) I also drink green tea and alot of water.
sometimes I make chicken tacos with whole wheat tortillas. they're low carb high fiber tortillas. lettuce tomato, onion, and 5 calorie taco sauce.

anything i'm missing here? extra foods? any advice at all is appreciated.

edit: I also take a multi-vitamin, joint health, fish oil, and creatine monohydrate. (1 pill each and 5g of creatine)

Drop a banana, add something protein wise. One serving of a banana is 200 calories and 50g of carbs. There are many other sources of fiber that don't give such a huge carb dose...

Codeguru

PS- Or better yet, just drop the banana since you're probably already getting enough protein. When I stopped eating 1-2 bananas a day I could see the fat loss results within days.

TheRealDeal930
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
I didnt realize that bananas had that many carbs
maybe an apple would be better? in place of a banana

Codeguru
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Well yeah, that's actually what I do. I eat an apple a day. A good sized apple is still probably going to be 25-30g of carbs so I stick to the medium size ones. I'd like to eat more than that for anti-oxidant stuff but the multivitamin and whole grain bread I eat all day pretty much jams me as full of that as can be...

Codeguru

Dan Fanelli
01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Question: Is the OP a male or female?

Also, are you actually going to be flying aircrafts, and if so do you need to be much less than 156lbs?

TheRealDeal930
01-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Question: Is the OP a male or female?

Also, are you actually going to be flying aircrafts, and if so do you need to be much less than 156lbs?

male. the weight limit for my height is 155 lbs, but it goes by bodyfat % so I would pass if i was over. I just want to be in the best possible shape so that basic training will not be hard for me

Dan Fanelli
01-17-2011, 11:54 PM
male. the weight limit for my height is 155 lbs, but it goes by bodyfat % so I would pass if i was over. I just want to be in the best possible shape so that basic training will not be hard for me

Ok. The only point I was trying to make is that losing weight does not equal being in "good shape". That is assuming you aren't carrying around a bunch of excess bf. My recommendation would be to do some basic strength training and conditioning while keeping your BW where it needs to be. Focus on PERFORMANCE, because that is really your end goal.

Codeguru
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM

If you want to be in shape I'd do a bunch of circuit cardio training, or just exhausting cardio. The kind where you don't rest in between, because that's all you're going to get basic training as far as I've heard. I haven't heard many stories about basic training weight room horrors, and if anything that's all in their spare time. And I suppose getting used to running a lot would help. Anything to increase your stamina to godlike potential will make it easier. Not that you should neglect weight training, but you'll want cardio stamina like nothing else...

Codeguru

TheRealDeal930
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
If you want to be in shape I'd do a bunch of circuit cardio training, or just exhausting cardio. The kind where you don't rest in between, because that's all you're going to get basic training as far as I've heard. I haven't heard many stories about basic training weight room horrors, and if anything that's all in their spare time. And I suppose getting used to running a lot would help. Anything to increase your stamina to godlike potential will make it easier. Not that you should neglect weight training, but you'll want cardio stamina like nothing else...

Codeguru

The thing is that i've been lifting pretty consistently for 2-3 years. I've just neglected cardio for the past year or so after not wrestling and playing football in HS. The last time I ran consistently was wrestling and I weighed 125-130 lbs. i'm 19 now 155-160 just alot stronger. I'm trying to make up for lost time all at once, thinking being lighter would make the running easier.

I'm gonna follow basically what I posted first and incorporate more cardio, running, and complexes into my training

TheRealDeal930
01-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I've been lifting 5 days per week, also doing cardio and complexes
only eating fish, chicken, egg whites, oatmeal, and drinking alot of water. occasional green tea from tea bags. still taking fish oil, multivitamin, and joint pill
didnt get apples yet
haven't took creatine in 4-5 days either. maybe resulting in water loss? i have been drinking a ton of water though

question
as long as im eating enough protein, and i think i am, does it matter how many carbs i get? fat too?
i'm at probably 60-110 carbs just guessing
i get fat from fish and oatmeal. ate a few pistaccios one day too
possibly alot of sodium too. from hot sauce. sodium mean anything?

Dan Fanelli
01-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I've been lifting 5 days per week, also doing cardio and complexes
only eating fish, chicken, egg whites, oatmeal, and drinking alot of water. occasional green tea from tea bags. still taking fish oil, multivitamin, and joint pill
didnt get apples yet
haven't took creatine in 4-5 days either. maybe resulting in water loss? i have been drinking a ton of water though

question
as long as im eating enough protein, and i think i am, does it matter how many carbs i get? fat too?
i'm at probably 60-110 carbs just guessing
i get fat from fish and oatmeal. ate a few pistaccios one day too
possibly alot of sodium too. from hot sauce. sodium mean anything?

Carbs are not essential, but might help depending on how hard you are training. Fat is very essential. im not sure the minimum amount for you, but its probably like 60-80g per day. Get some fish oil, and some red meat and you'll be good.

Behemoth
01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Carbs are not essential, but might help depending on how hard you are training. Fat is very essential. im not sure the minimum amount for you, but its probably like 60-80g per day. Get some fish oil, and some red meat and you'll be good.

The fat will depend in large part how long it is reduced for. I think most would find that 50-60g would suffice as a regular intake. Dipping below that can be okay, but should be closely monitored and probably not optimal for an extended duration.

I agree with getting in EFA's and then the rest of it coming from indirect sources, from your oats, from you lean meats, maybe a few egg yolks. I don't think most people in a dieting situation should purposely add olive oil, nuts, avocados etc but it is largely individual. And if he chooses lower carbs and needs to make up the calories with fat, that's when those sources should come into play IMO.

TheRealDeal930
01-21-2011, 01:29 PM
The fat will depend in large part how long it is reduced for. I think most would find that 50-60g would suffice as a regular intake. Dipping below that can be okay, but should be closely monitored and probably not optimal for an extended duration.

I agree with getting in EFA's and then the rest of it coming from indirect sources, from your oats, from you lean meats, maybe a few egg yolks. I don't think most people in a dieting situation should purposely add olive oil, nuts, avocados etc but it is largely individual. And if he chooses lower carbs and needs to make up the calories with fat, that's when those sources should come into play IMO.

i take fish oil, and the fish i eat has skin on it so theres some fat there, and some fat on the chicken too. I'll start breakfast with 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites with oats rather than just 4 whites

TheRealDeal930
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM

I think i train hard. i have noticed that running is harder. this may be from the reduced carb intake or that i used to run before i lifted and now i'm running after i lift. i was told by my cousin that lifting 1st burns glycogen then the cardio after will burn fat so run after.

Dan Fanelli
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Give it a few more weeks and see how it goes.