PDA

View Full Version : High Cholesterol forces me to stop bodybuilding

AllNatural
05-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone,
I am forced to change the way I train because my cholesterol is too high. It was borderline to start with when i weighed 220, but shot up another 15 points when i got up to 232. I really don't want to stop taking protein supplements and lifting heavy. I usually went 2 days on and 1 day off, did all the big exercises primarily and got great results. I think my bodyfat is around 13-16% after gaining 12 pounds.
I am considering lifting for 20 min everytime i exercise followed by cardio instead of my usual 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour grueling weight sessions. How do you guys think I should handle my problem? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Allnatural

breeze
05-17-2002, 10:09 AM
I am missing something here. Why would high cholesterol keep you from working out. Also heavy exercise will give you a better good cholesterol to bad cholesterol ratio.

Holto
05-17-2002, 11:19 AM
garlic should help lower cholesterol

Tryska
05-17-2002, 11:23 AM
what breeze said.

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Show us your diet.

Kromax
05-17-2002, 02:33 PM
It's true that some protein supplements are a bit high in cholesterol. My advice would be to eat less supplements and more real food. Learn to love TUNA.

Behemoth
05-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Uhh, tuna got a good bit of cholestorol in it pal

Podium Kreatin
05-18-2002, 07:57 AM
it's true that some protein supps have a lot of cholesterol, but there are also a lot that don't, like vp2

the doc
05-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by breeze
I am missing something here. Why would high cholesterol keep you from working out. Also heavy exercise will give you a better good cholesterol to bad cholesterol ratio.

this is true to a point. However, when the cholesterol starts getting in the very high levels it is time to take steps to reduce total cholesterol whilst improving ldl & hdl levels

I definitely agree exercise should be maintained, but diet could be modified for some modest (10-20% changes)

what are your total triglycerides?

the doc
05-18-2002, 08:04 AM
tuna is actually a very low cholesterol meat

the doc
05-18-2002, 08:05 AM
actually to my knowledge most protein powders are cholesterol free

starks713
05-18-2002, 08:15 AM
I think designer protein is cholesterol free.

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Taking in cholesterol doesn't necessarily mean higher cholesterol levels.

Reinier
05-18-2002, 01:25 PM
i thought it just didn`t at all.

i thought your body produces quite a load itself for its cell membrane surfaces and will simply produce less when you eat more of it, and that its quite possible to eat so much your body wont need to produce any....

the doc
05-18-2002, 01:56 PM
this is true for most, however, 10-20% of the public will respond to reduction in dietary cholesterol

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Only cause to do that you usually have to remove alot of the sh*t from their diets anyway lol.

Doc, do you really think a "healthy" bodybuilder would have the effects?

chris mason
05-18-2002, 05:59 PM
My recollection from my college nutrition class was that 95% of bodily cholesterol was due to fat intake, not dietary intake of straight chlesterol. In other words, it is dietary intake of fat, not cholesterol that is the issue.

I echo some of the other's points here, having high cholesterol does not preclude lifting weights, especially in a younger person. Yes, an attempt should be made to keep bodyfat levels down, but muscular weight does not cause any problems. Cardio should be increased, dietary fat decreased, and medication may be in order. None of these things mean you must stop bodybuilding?:confused:

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
My recollection from my college nutrition class was that 95% of bodily cholesterol was due to fat intake, not dietary intake of straight chlesterol. In other words, it is dietary intake of fat, not cholesterol that is the issue.

Yeah, Chris, but in those studies fat intake was all they took consideration of for the most part. Not carbohydrate intake.

Shao-LiN
05-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Doing more exercise should have better effects against cholesterol than not doing exercise. I guess I'm missing the point there.

Problem may lie in your diet...you don't need supplements to have a good diet/workout.

AllNatural
05-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for feedback.

Some more info:
A typical day when I was training:

Meals
breakfast
cereal, yogurt, oatmeal usually 2 of 3
protein drink, designer whey or simply protein

lunch
chicken breast, mashed potato or sandwich meat/cheese/bread

nlarge

(workout at this time of day usually)

glutamine/protein

diner
well, nothing like a bucket of lard, sometimes chicken and rice or something any reasonable person would do

snack
sandwich

protein shake with flax oil

AllNatural
05-19-2002, 01:19 PM
The reason I think that my cholesterol has gone up since I finally figured out how to train properly(thanks to you guys) is that I have been adding muscular weight but probably proportionately a little more fat staying somewhere around my initial 13% maybe up to 16% but I look way better than before so I could be wrong.

Also, I have been doing very heavy lifts (low reps)and building up good mass. (ok i know my squats/deads aren't that great but its not as easy as you think when you are 6'6")

Also, I've always stayed natural and have never even used creatine.

Its not like I will just go train for a few min i'll go as long as 1 1/2 hours. I don't take more than a min-1 1/2 min rests on real heavy sets either. Well obviously I train hard or I wouldn't have increased my lifts so much and gained so much muscle so you get the point.

My typical training week:

mon off
tues chest/tri
wed legs
thurs off
fri back/bi
sat cardio
sun shoulders/traps/other

I'm pretty frustrated with having high cholesterol, i think he said its 225 don't remember the hdl ratios i'll call and ask. Any help is appreciated, I don't really want to quit bodybuilding people treat you differently when they know you are huge and I love the feeling of the pump, what can i say.

Toxx
05-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Hmm, this brought a question to my mind. My Grandmother and Grandfather on my Mom's side, both have naturally high cholesteral. My grandfather had a heart attack a few years ago. He isn't exactly a heaping pile of fat. He's an outdoors person, he's a carpenter. He isn't fat, he's "average". My other grandfather also had a heartattack, although he likes Alcohol, and has no diet what so ever.

I am curious now, I am 18yo, and I've been eating 4-5 eggs a day. (Whole)

Should I consider not eating the yolks? (They have no much good stuff though, =\ ) Or should I take them out of my diet altogether? Or should I add in a lot of cardio to my work out?

Right now I'm putting on mass, and it has been going well. I'm getting 2-4 lb per week.

Not trying to hijack your thread, this just came to my mind, 8)

AllNatural
05-19-2002, 05:22 PM
When you gain muscle and size like I did you also increase your fat at least proportionately -your fat % may stay the same but you will have more fat. Definetly don't eat 4 eggs a day, eat egg whites like me- doesn't seem to help me that much anyways.

I think my problem lies in the cheese I eat. I looked at a slice of cheddar cheese and it has 11g saturated fat in it or 54% the US RDA. I must have been taking on too much of the stuff here and there. I didn't expect cheese to do me in like this but I think it has i gotta reevaluate my diet i think, so shoudl you toxx

Shao-LiN
05-20-2002, 09:07 AM
If you have a history of heart problems/attacks in your family, I think you should make a concious effort to limit your cholesterol intake.

Toxx
05-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Ok, well, my diet is fine so far. (I have muscle gains, so something must be right) I'll toss out the Egg Yolks, and see if I am still getting gains. I rarely eat cheese anyway, most of my protein comes from Milk, Tuna, and eggs. I put a slice of american cheese on top of my scrambeled eggs, but that's it.

I guess I'll start eating egg whites, thanks. 8)

AllNatural
05-20-2002, 10:03 AM
My family doesn't have a history of heart problems either

the doc
05-20-2002, 10:15 AM
total cholesterol is the least important number

you need to know ratios to really see what is happening

chris is partially right
cholesterol levels are dictated by the levels of circulating triglycerides
all chosterol does (with regard to circulation) is to shuttle triglycerides around in the bloodstream

tony touch
05-20-2002, 10:22 AM
ur big as it is, why not cutup and get down to a lean, muscular 195 or 200?

eat nothing but chicken breasts, baked potatos, oatmeal, water, egg whites and designer protein (or other c-free brand). get your fat from olive oil, itll help lower your ch.
why are you only doing one day a week of cardio>? if your bf is 16 percent, keep lifting heavy and do cardio 4x a week. 20 minutes of hardcore cardio will do wonders 4 u. your bf is too high dude

raniali
05-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Personally - young, healthy AND high-cholesterol doesn't sound right. In MANY cases (not all), cholesterol problems are solely genetic, in which case medication may be in order. The few people I know who have gone on medication also started eating more fish (fresh and yummy canned tuna) instead of red meats etc. The meds and diet changes - plus some exercise- have dramatically reduced their bad cholesterol. If you are really worried, you might want to talk to a doc instead of relying on everyone's "unprofessional" opinion.

AllNatural
05-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Tryska, Chicken Daddy?????

Anyone?

AllNatural
05-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by tony touch
ur big as it is, why not cutup and get down to a lean, muscular 195 or 200?

I cut down 5 pounds already, but 200 would be unhealthy for me I don't think I am more than 13% bodyfat like I was measured at when I was 220. I think I'm just going to watch my diet seriously and do 20 min of cardio always after weights plus adding an extra cardio day. The pros walk for an hour in the morning, don't have time for that but I may do that in 6 weeks when I do have time.

Do you guys think that taking lots of protein powders can raise cholesterol? It basically has the same amount of cholesterol as a glass of milk and I used to take 3-4 shakes a day.

A week ago I was huge I gotta get back at it but reconfigure what I am doing. I took a week off kind of out of disappointment and the thought that I was killing my body but its not really that way I suppose.

Designer whey has 20% the RDA of cholesterol in 1 serving! is ther any proteins that have no cholesterol no aspartame?

AllNatural
05-21-2002, 06:06 PM
great, no one has any knowledge of this stuff....

Scooby-Doo
05-21-2002, 06:29 PM
I use Optunium Nutrition Natural 100% Whey, its aspartame free and only has 8% RDA of cholesterol per serving. I also like the taste of this brand the most. :)

martijn
05-22-2002, 04:04 AM
Unsaturated fatty acid omega 6 will help against high-cholesterol, but to much of omega 6 is bad so you will need to take omega 3 to solve this problem of the much of omega 6.

If you do not like to eat fish, try taking lenseed oil for omega 3 and sunflower oil for omega 6. And you will also get omega 9 for both oils.

AllNatural
05-22-2002, 06:40 AM
Should I still take flax oil?

martijn
05-22-2002, 07:08 AM
Lenseed oil and flax oil are the same, so you should take it.

it's composition is:

54% omega 3
16% omega 6
21% omega 9

the composition of sunflower oil is:

0.3% omega 3
71% omega 6
16% omega 9