PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

cutter
01-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Between lunges and squats, I am going through shoes like crazy.
Are there any off the shelf shoes that will hold up?
My latest pair were Skechers, and they have lasted 5 weeks.
What do you heavy lifters use?

TKisner
01-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Just go barefoot. On my lower body exercises the shoes come off. You'll feel a lot more stable. At least I feel like I am when I go shoeless.

Gracie V
01-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Im my 5 months of powerlifting i've bought wayyy too many pairs of shoes... The best so far are the nike wrestling shoes...feels like you're wearing socks!!!

gmen5681
01-19-2011, 06:12 AM
just get chucks. i cant see why they would get ruined from squats and lunges. ive had mine for almost 3 years and they look brand new. i only wear them at the gym and they have never been outside.

cutter
01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Just go barefoot. On my lower body exercises the shoes come off. You'll feel a lot more stable. At least I feel like I am when I go shoeless.

That's very interesting. My fastest sprints are barefoot, except when I step on a big scary bee.
I may give that a try.
Does anyone else have an opinion on barefoot training? I'm in the process of breaking 300lbs, my feet won't explode will they?

IronDiggy
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
just get chucks. i cant see why they would get ruined from squats and lunges. ive had mine for almost 3 years and they look brand new. i only wear them at the gym and they have never been outside.

This.

AdamBAG
01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
This.

Agreed. I've got three different pairs of chuck's and they are all still great for training after several years. Just toss them in the washing machine to clean them up and then let them air dry. If you rotate more than one pair they don't get as funky since they have time to dry.

cutter
01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Works for you, works for me. Chucks it is, thanks guys.

Brian Hopper
01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
My vote is for chucks also!!!!

mastermonster
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM
CHUCKS!!!!!!! Also, if you ever plan to compete, don't train barefoot. You have to wear shoes in any legit meet. So, barefoot will never prepare you for how you'll stabilize for your lifts in a meet. Train like you compete...and just buy some cheap chucks. I could have 150.00+ dollar shoes for free; but I buy chucks! They are that much better to lift in than any other shoe at any price.

MikeWilliams
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I realize Chuck's are the ultimate powerlifting shoe, but i prefer a flat soled Adidas instead...I don't like the thin canvas, the adidas shoes have a little more meat on em...

pricedtosell
01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
I've been wearing the same pair of Chuck's to lift in for years and they're holding up just fine.

Hobo Beard
01-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Between lunges and squats, I am going through shoes like crazy.
Are there any off the shelf shoes that will hold up?
My latest pair were Skechers, and they have lasted 5 weeks.
What do you heavy lifters use?

Lunges . . .?

cutter
01-23-2011, 05:45 AM
http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/legs.htm

Lunges.

Brian Hopper
01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Chucks are the best!!!

Brian Hopper
01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Lunges . . .?

Believe it or not, but they can help out your squat and your deadlift.

cutter
01-23-2011, 06:51 PM

I love'em! Great for improving balance. I fall a lot....

Hobo Beard
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/legs.htm

Lunges.

Lol.

Please do explain.

I love'em! Great for improving balance. I fall a lot....

Balance for?

Mark!
01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Please do explain.

Balance for?

Lunges help with butt and thigh development. Which in turn, is carried over to the squat.

Lunges help building those muscles, which helps with balance for all things involving lower body. Building the stabilizer muscles helps with deadlift, and squats.

Mark!
01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I also vote Chucks. Unless I'm running, I'm in the gym in my Chucks.

SELK
01-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Chucks are good, Nike frees are actually pretty decent if you are not squatting over 800 or so.

Hobo Beard
01-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Lunges help with butt and thigh development. Which in turn, is carried over to the squat.

Lunges help building those muscles, which helps with balance for all things involving lower body. Building the stabilizer muscles helps with deadlift, and squats.

Hmm . . .

Per your logic, by hitting the butt blaster (helps build glues) and the adductor/abductor machines (helps build the thighs) would carry over to the squat?

Brian Hopper
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Hmm . . .

Per your logic, by hitting the butt blaster (helps build glues) and the adductor/abductor machines (helps build the thighs) would carry over to the squat?

Lunges are used as an accessory and if used on a regular, it can help you out on the squat. No, your not going to get 100-200lbs from doing them. They pretty much work the same muscles as squatting does.

I have a feeling you don't like lunges...

BodyByGamma
01-24-2011, 01:23 AM
I personally like wrestling shoes as the all around lifting shoe. Chucks are ok but they cost just the same unless you buy them on sale or gets some air walks, and don't give good ankle support. Wrestling shoes are also lighter so they don't weigh down your bag and have better traction/grips on the bottom.

Hobo Beard
01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Lunges are used as an accessory and if used on a regular, it can help you out on the squat. No, your not going to get 100-200lbs from doing them. They pretty much work the same muscles as squatting does.

I have a feeling you don't like lunges...

You are correct good, sir.

In all years powerlifting, I have never seen them in a PL program or witness a big squatter (or really any powerlifter) do them.

Not old school programs, 3x3, 5x5, Westside, 5-3-1.

Leg extensions are the only "sissy" lift I have seen done and it was by the man who taught me to squat correctly (13th 275# all-time).

Brian Hopper
01-24-2011, 01:53 AM
I just recently saw a video of Mike Cartinian (2265@181) and Shawn Frankl (2715@220) doing walking lunges. Brian Carroll (2700@275) also started doing them as well. I'm not sure if you have read Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 book, but if you did then you will remember the part where he said "Lunges are great for building leg strength and mass." Also, im not sure if you read the Westside Barbell article that was published in Flex magazine (Sept. '07) either. But, Louie had lunges listed as an accessory movement for both DE/ME lower body days.

muscle_g
01-24-2011, 02:53 AM

In all years powerlifting, I have never seen them in a PL program or witness a big squatter (or really any powerlifter) do them.

Leg extensions are the only "sissy" lift I have seen done and it was by the man who taught me to squat correctly (13th 275# all-time).

BigIron gym does walking lunges, Adducter/Abducter machine, and leg extensions and they're all very good squatters ;)

cutter
01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Lunges can be intimidating. In front of everybody doing a 'girl exercise' but I don't really care. After adding them to my routine, I have noticed a marked improvement in form, posture, balance, and off the ground speed in ALL my lower body exercises. Plus, they can really work the glutes which I believe are the most important muscle group next to the abs.

BloodandThunder
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM

Yes in all the years of powerlifting, noone has done an accessory exercise. I take it GHR's, Reverse Hypers, and DB Presses are useless as well right?

To supplement the chucks/wrestling shoe theme OP, I'd consider a cheap pair of Oly shoes, especially if you squat raw. They're good for things like Front Squats, Back Squats, and to bring more emphasis on the quad. Plus, they last a long time. I also use them to bench in, since I have to have feet flat and it helps with my set up. A cheap pair of chucks and Oly shoes should last you a long time, just as long as you're not wearing them to the club every Friday and Saturday lol.

Then again, the girls might find those snazzy Adistars sexy

BodyByGamma
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes in all the years of powerlifting, noone has done an accessory exercise. I take it GHR's, Reverse Hypers, and DB Presses are useless as well right?

To supplement the chucks/wrestling shoe theme OP, I'd consider a cheap pair of Oly shoes, especially if you squat raw. They're good for things like Front Squats, Back Squats, and to bring more emphasis on the quad. Plus, they last a long time. I also use them to bench in, since I have to have feet flat and it helps with my set up. A cheap pair of chucks and Oly shoes should last you a long time, just as long as you're not wearing them to the club every Friday and Saturday lol.

Then again, the girls might find those snazzy Adistars sexy

The only problem with olympic shoes is they only beneficial for narrow/medium squatters. I used a pair of VS do-wins for awhile and it really helped my squat in terms of speed but over time as I tried moving my stance wider out and the bar started rolling on me. Also oly shoes are horrible for deadlifting, but for the narrow/medium stance squatter they are excellent. As fas as overhead press goes, nothing compares to oly shoes.

4g64fiero
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Hmm . . .

People actually do implement hip adductor/abductor work into their routines. Its a great way of maintaining the balance of muscles in the thighs so that the knee cap stays on its track. Its an exercise done for longevity. I am not sure if you are implying that they are worthless or not but it seems you are equating them with the "butt blaster" err whatever that is.

StLRPh
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Matt Kroc used to do lots of lunges as well. He's a pretty good squatter.

cutter
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Got me some Chucks, can I hang with cool kids now?

Seriously though, way back when I suffered a knee dislocation Lunges were part of the torture they called physical therapy. At the time I was doing zero weightlifting, and had granny knees. After a few months of lunges, my knees and ankles felt rock solid.

At this point, I can't say if the lunges help my squat or if the squat helps my lunges.

MikeWilliams
01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I do enjoy some lunges

cic
01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Has anyone else seen the double layered Chucks. There is two layers of material instead of just one.
I wonder if these would be superior?

cic
01-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Here.
http://www.buy.com/prod/converse-men-s-all-star-chuck-taylor-double-upper-hi-casual-shoes/q/sellerid/23064714/loc/65499/219709538.html

pricedtosell
01-26-2011, 10:26 PM
People actually do implement hip adductor/abductor work into their routines. Its a great way of maintaining the balance of muscles in the thighs so that the knee cap stays on its track. Its an exercise done for longevity. I am not sure if you are implying that they are worthless or not but it seems you are equating them with the "butt blaster" err whatever that is.

Brian Schwab wrote about their value in his article on pulling sumo. Personally, I'd rather perfrom the movements with band tension instead of those machines, but I still think they're useful.

"The most common remark I get from lifters attempting sumo for the first time is how much it hurts their hips and groin. Yes, it does. This is when you need to swallow your pride and start doing some of the girlie exercises. If you’re training at a commercial gym then chances are pretty good that there’s some form of inner and outer thigh machine available. " - Brian Schwab

Also, like others have said, many lifters perform lunges regularly as an assistance exercise.

"Quads — lunges, leg presses." - Jim Wendler, talking about the best assistance exercises for certain body parts.