PDA

View Full Version : Bluebird Starts Training!

bluebird
01-19-2011, 06:18 AM
I've finally set myself some goals so thought I'd help keep my motivation up by keeping a log!

I haven't been able to squat for about 6 months due a knee injury but it's much better and I've seen a doctor who says I should be able to squat again without damaging it. Anyway here are my current stats:

Height: 179 cm / 5' 10"
Weight: 77 kg / 170 lbs
Bodyfat: ~13/14%

Went to the gym yesterday and tested some of my lifts. Didn't test any of my 1RM on any of the exercises but this is the weight and reps I did for each:

Squat: 80 kg x 5
Deadlift: 110 kg x 4
OHP: 50 kg x 5
Barbell Row: 70 kg x 5
Bench Press: 75 kg x 6

I'm going to try and bulk up and improve strength up the end of May. These are my targets - help my out if you don't think they're realistic or if you don't think I'm pushing myself enough:

Weight: 190 lbs
Squat: 120 kg
Deadlift: 150 kg
OHP: 70 kg
Barbell Row: 90 kg
Bench Press: 90 kg

I know my body fat will increase but I'll deal with this after. My diet is something I struggle with. It's not terrible but definetly something I need to improve. Here's an example of my diet from yesterday:

Breakfast: 3 eggs (Scrambled), 3 rashers of bacon and a bowl of frosties
Snack: Bannana and an apple
Lunch: 2 chicken breasts, brown rice and greens
After Training: 0.5l of milk
Dinner: Beef Stew
Snack: Ice cream & steak pie[/b] :o

I want to do the 5, 3, 1 workout but not 100% on how it works so if anyone has any links to instructions, etc it would be great.

Off Road
01-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Welcome to WBB. Good job starting a journal, it's the best way to stay motivated and get extra help. Good luck to you.

Also, if you don't mind a little advice... I wouldn't start with 5/3/1 right away until you've fully come back from your injury. I'd look at some thing along the lines of a 5x5 routine with a faster progression scheme. 5/3/1 is more for guys that have maxed out their linear gains and can only progress on a monthly schedule.

bluebird
01-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Do you suggest something more like the stronglifts 5x5 routine then? Or maybe the wannabebig 1.1 programme?

Thanks for the advice

Off Road
01-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Ya, something like Bill Star's 5x5 would be perfect. Coming back from an injury, you'll want to get a lot of practice with the lift, start slowly and build up more quickly than 5/3/1 will let you. Just don't rush the recovery.

bluebird
01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks Off Road, I'll have a look for his workout now.

What's the best way to workout how many micronutrients you need? I know the cunningham equation should tell me the amount of calories I need but how to do I work out the amount of carbs, proteins and fat?

Off Road
01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I believe in the simple aproach. Just make sure you are hitting your required protein intake and fill in the calories with whatever is left over.

bluebird
01-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Going for a workout this evening so I'll post it here when I'm back.

Still not sure which programme to start but want to decide by my workout later today. Do you recommend Bill Starrs 5x5 or shall I go for the HCT-12 routine?

the pope
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
i was on the wbb1.1 and then went onto the hct-12 till i got injuryed, good results off 2 of them ,there def wort a try.

bluebird
01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Went to the gym yesterday. Really wasn't feeling well so should have probably given it a miss but start as you mean to go on I guess!!

Squats - Did a couple of warm up sets then 5x5 of 60kg.
Also did some leg curls and leg press, both on lighter weights for 10 reps.

Terrible session really but going to take the weekend off to recover from this cold then hit a new routine on Monday. Going to try the routine for 12 weeks are see what kind of progress I get.